Category change on eBay?

Old October 12th 04, 05:40 PM
Kalera Stratton

Default Category change on eBay?

A few lampworkers have been discussing lately something which concerns
most of us here... the lampwork categories on eBay. We were talking
about how lots and lots of us emailed eBay and they gave us a new
category; lampwork handmade US. Unfortunately, that category is woefully
inadequate, as it really doesn't specify what we *need* it to specify,
which is whether it is artisan lampwork, and whether it's made in the US
is irrelevant. Narrowing it to US lampworkers only hurts non-US lampwork
artisans and the customers who are looking for good-quality artisan
work, regardless of counrty of origin.

The thing this dedicated focus group (HAW) of lampworkers came up with
is the category "Lampwork - handmade - self-representing artists". This
was actually Lori Peterson's brainchild, if I understand correctly! I
think eBay would be amenable to that because they already have a
category in paintings for self-representing artists... which they won by
emailing eBay and asking for it.

It wouldn't keep liars and scammers from posting their mass-produced
lampwork there, but it would at least be a more accurate category for
all self-representing lampwork artisans worldwide, and that would
benefit both sellers and buyers of lampwork. If anyone here thinks this
is a good idea and one that we beaders as a whole could benefit from,
please take a moment to email eBay and ask them to make this change.

Here's the link for making uncsolicited suggestions (they made it a bit
hard to find)

http://pages.ebay.com/help/welcome/suggest.html

This is what I said in my suggestion:

"Hi,

I am a self-representing lampwork artist selling on eBay, and I'd like
to suggest the addition of the category "Lampwork - Handmade -
Self-representing artists".

The current category, "Lampwork - Handmade - US" was a step in the right
direction, but unfortunately it excludes a great many of our
international colleagues and doesn't specifically narrow the offerings
to artists selling their own work. I think that the self-representing
category will make it easier for lampwork customers to find the kind of
work they want, and will exclude those reselling mass-produced, imported
(but still handmade) lampwork, while including exceptional talents
worldwide who are selling their own work.

Thank you for considering this suggestion."
--
-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
Old October 12th 04, 06:09 PM
Su/Cutworks

Kalera wrote:

The thing this dedicated focus group (HAW) of lampworkers came up with
is the category "Lampwork - handmade - self-representing artists". This
was actually Lori Peterson's brainchild, if I understand correctly! I
think eBay would be amenable to that because they already have a
category in paintings for self-representing artists... which they won by
emailing eBay and asking for it.

I would love a category like that, it feels odd to put Mike's auctions in
'other' as it seems such a catch-all category and puts the non-US
lampworkers that are self-representing into a lesser category than the US
artists simply because 'other' seems so undistinguished.

I'll write to them today.

-Su

Old October 12th 04, 06:14 PM
E J Ralph

I sent my email!

Emma

Old October 12th 04, 06:26 PM
Kalera Stratton

Hooray! I am going to PM Lori over on WC and let her know folks are
taking action... maybe she can bring it up on WC again and we can get a
bunch of emails sent. Wouldn't it be lovely?!

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Old October 12th 04, 06:31 PM
Lori Greenberg

Here is mine:

"Hi. I'm a lampwork bead artist that currently sells under your Jewelry
& Watches Loose Beads Lampwork, Crystal & Glass Handmade Lampwork US
category.

This category was created to represent artists who sell their handmade glass
beads, however, it is increasingly being used for sellers who sell mass
produced, imported, glass beads. Some may be handcrafted, but it is by
sweat shops in India or China.

Because of the increase in these listings, the lampwork artists listings get
buried and sales decrease.

In this regard I, as well as other lampwork artists would like to request a
new cagetory for Self-Representing Artists in the Lampwork category that
would exclude mass produced, imported, glass beads.

I believe that if something doesn't change, complaints to eBay will increase
on a daily basis. Thank you for your consideration.

Lori Greenberg
lorigreenberg on eBay"

--
--------------------------------------
Lori Greenberg

Old October 12th 04, 06:35 PM
Susan B.

Hi Kalera - I've just sent EBay an e-mail as you suggest. It'll be
interesting to see what comes from this. Power to the people, sister!

susan in canada

Old October 12th 04, 06:45 PM
Lori Greenberg

That would be great, Kalera.

As I stated in my email, I thought that complaints to eBay regarding
category violations would increase daily until they did something. Anyone
care to help me make good on that? Even though it's a PITA, I try to send
at least a few a day. There's not only mass produced, imported lampwork,
but also czech glass beads.

I could only find how to report actual auctions though.

--
--------------------------------------

Old October 12th 04, 06:45 PM
DreamBeadr

Wouldn't it be lovely?!

YES!
I will send my email in too.

I have been in a voting, to change things for the better, mood lately anyway!
snicker

Beki
http://www.whimbeads.com

Old October 12th 04, 07:45 PM
Su/Cutworks

Here's mine, well Mike's with a small edit where I missed a sentence!

Just pretend it read like this from the start. :-)

"Dear sirs;

As an individual artist who makes lampworked beads I would like to suggest
the addition of the category "Lampwork - Handmade - Self-representing
artists".

The current category, "Lampwork - Handmade - US" excludes all non-US
artists, relegating them to the non-specific and rather unattractive
category of 'other' which does not give non-US artists a very good
presentation on the eBay community.

A special self-representing category will make it easier for those wishing
to find genuine artist-created lampwork to discover an international
selection under one umbrella category and will avoid lumping artists who
create individual beads with those who simply resell mass-produced, imported
but still 'technically' handmade beads and will allow all the individual
self-representing artists to combine under one broad category.

Thank you for your attention to this issue, it will only enhance eBay and
the artists who depend upon your venue for promoting their work.

With regards,

Mike Poole/Tillerman Beads"

-Su (ghostwriter and teagirl to the lampworking star of tomorrow, or next
week!)

Old October 12th 04, 07:45 PM
Su/Cutworks

Lori wrote:

As I stated in my email, I thought that complaints to eBay regarding
category violations would increase daily until they did something. Anyone
care to help me make good on that? Even though it's a PITA, I try to send
at least a few a day. There's not only mass produced, imported lampwork,
but also czech glass beads.

I'll be glad to help with that.

Send me links if you have particular auctions in question, otherwise I'll
just shoot for a random selection. I have tons of practice sending
complaints about scanned photos and copyrighted artwork being sold as cross
stitch charts converted by computer, including Disney and other such
*gagging* ... well, let's just say I wouldn't call it art after it's been
through a lazy person's cross stitch program and sold as a chart.

-Su