How do I setup a studio/workshop for Hydrofluoric Acid Etching?

Old June 5th 06, 04:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Default How do I setup a studio/workshop for Hydrofluoric Acid Etching?

Try:

Doesn't have to be straight HF. Can be ABF with a little HF for bite.

Old June 5th 06, 06:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Hi Harry,

Thanks for the advice. Went to the Fire Marshall's office after asking
a few people in the city office. All he cared about was I should be in
compliance. Didn't know any consultants though. But that is a good
direction to go with I believe. I'll try to dig out some consulting
firms don't know what they are called though.

So I guess, this initiates another subsidiary quest in search of my
lost kingdom

Harry wrote:
"^TahirKanch^" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thank you! A person who has seen the results after HF etching would
never believe sandblasting would bring the same effect. It is totally
different I believe the texture, translucency and the polished finished
cannot be duplicated by any other method, well one could try to get the
best closest result but I am willing to bet it still won't be the same
thing.

Thanks everyone for all the good advices. But I stand with the same
determination I had before I started the discussion. I need to find how
to make a setup here that is compliant to all the regulation.

If anyone can please help me directions as how to setup an acid etching
facility and any equipment that's used in the setup, it would be a
great help.

Also I am still confused What is the equipment or setup that's OSHA
approved? Where can I find it?

I now understand there are no shortcuts in setting up an acid etching
facility. I am willing to spend the high dollars but I need all the
help or advise I can get as to how to 'efficiently design' that setup?

Thanks for all the comments folks. Please keep 'em coming.

The best people to ask, are the people that will do the inspecting and
regulating, they are gov'mnt officials and work for the taxpayer. If they
can not answer your questions, they will know the consultants to help do
things correctly and in compliance.

They can also keep an eye on your ass in case you are a terrorist intent on
poisoning our water supply!

Old June 5th 06, 07:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

"^TahirKanch^" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Harry,

Thanks for the advice. Went to the Fire Marshall's office after asking
a few people in the city office. All he cared about was I should be in
compliance. Didn't know any consultants though. But that is a good
direction to go with I believe. I'll try to dig out some consulting
firms don't know what they are called though.

So I guess, this initiates another subsidiary quest in search of my
lost kingdom

First of all, stop being such a top poster, get your response to the bottom
so everybody can follow it, lots easier.

Next, there is a trade magazine called GLASS which is meant for the
residential/ commercial glaziers and factory operators. There are sources
in there for everythng glass related, try looking online for the online
version, if I can dig up an old copy, I'll post info here for you. there is
aclassified listing in the back for everything from automated bevelers to
full tempering lines and the consultants who design their layout, same sort
of guys can design your set up, all in compliance with all regulations....
THAT is where you start at, and please, put it as close to the Rio Grande
River as possible. That way it is far away from me, and that river is
already a pit, what can you hurt?

Old June 5th 06, 11:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

"^TahirKanch^" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

I am fully aware of the dangers for HF, but can anyone please guide me,

***How to setup a workshop/studio to acid etch 5 feet long sheet of
glass?***

I have worked with it in a different country, but because of OSHA, EPA,
Fire Marshall etc. requirements am confused as how to go about setting
up a studio for acid etching here in the U.S.

I know that there needs to be a proper ventilation and proper storage
along with handling ofcourse. I also realize that an OSHA approved
equipment is very expensive.

***Can someone please guide me to what the OSHA approved equipment is
AND please tell me if there is any other cheaper alternative to
that?***

Any help would be very much appreciated!!

Tahir.

I've been thinking about this post since it first appeared on the newsgroup.

Your name sounds just a little bit too middle-Eastern for my tastes.

Even if I were a world-reknown expert on acid etching, I'd just be damned
if I'd give any information about this deadly toxic material and how to use
it to some newbie on a usenet group. This all reminds me too much of a
bunch of SOB's who wanted to learn to fly about 5 years ago. It seems to
me that IF you were a "for-real" glass artisan, you'd have some previous
posts somewhere on usenet, that you'd have a URL pointing to your work in a
gallery or a website. Instead, you are wanting to know how to set up a
commercial operation from scratch.

Just makes me wonder if you really want to etch glass or if you want to put
HF into, oh, say, maybe aerosol bombs to set off in subways or stadiums?

Old June 6th 06, 02:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

In article ,
"Moonraker" wrote:

Tahir.

I've been thinking about this post since it first appeared on the newsgroup.

Your name sounds just a little bit too middle-Eastern for my tastes.

[etc.]

You really should look into entering Bruce Schneier's contest for
Movie Plot Threats. Here's a pointer:

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2006/04/announcing_movi.html

He explains it a lot better than I can hope to. He really is
a respected U.S. security guy, though I admit his name sounds just
a little European for my tastes.

Mike Beede
Old June 6th 06, 02:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Never trust anyone named "Timothy" or "Bruce".

Scratch

FlameNwind wrote:
ewww, Moon! Just because of his name???? Puhleeze! Does this mean you
wouldn't help someone named Timothy (i.e. McVeigh), especially if his header
showed he was from Oklahoma? C'mon...there are over 1.2 million
Arab-Americans in the US and nearly 2 million Muslims in Britain. Are we to
fear them all and assume they are ALL out to get us? I'd rather be cutting
glass...

. ..

Old June 6th 06, 04:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Hi Moonraker,

Thanks for your input.

As far as the name, it is half middleeastern half indian. I am from
Karachi. Glass (Now Architectural Glass Art since 1998) is in my family
business since 30 years. I learnt glass art desgining from my family in
India and have practiced it for 4 years in Karachi. website's under
construction I really didn't want to give it out yet but it's
www.glassnglass.com, For now the only work on the site that I have done
is: http://glassnglass.com/images/efurni9.jpg

Since you are skeptical you might argue that I haven't done this and
that's your issue but still I want to add that I used an acid etching
technique here also known as French Emboss for this Table top.
Multi-staged (dipped and washed several times) polishing to achieve
different levels of depth and the clear finished design work. The
surface never gets dirty like the sandblasted surfaces do. The result
is a smooth, plain finish and is only paper deep. But after playing
with textures along with the matt and glossy finishes plus combining
that technique with fusing bevelled crystals onto the glass in my
opinion becomes a priceless jewel after it's creation. I can work with
numerous textures which all produce an unbelievable effect after proper
lighting and provides privacy as well as showers ample of light into
the room through the translucent textures.

This is my baby. I love doing this. I want to do this safely and be
compliant with all the regulations before I start.

As far as the people who wanted to learn how to fly only for the sake
of hurting anyone, terrorism for that matter were insane
fundamentalists, SOB's or whatever you want to call them I totally
agree with you on that one.

Your taste and your preference not to share information is your right I
have no issues with that. Being polite is always nice but I do
understand your frustration. If I were a person who hadn't been to asia
or didn't have any friends from a different culture I'd probably be
like you as well. So I have no hard feelings. I guess I have talked too
much about this topic, which is totally off the point and a waste of my
time and yours. We both could be doing something valuable rather than
talking about this. Just so to let you understand:

*****I am trying to figure out a very safe and 'in-compliance' setup to
work with the acid here NOT asking around on how to use it and
absolutely DO NOT have and can never have any intention of even
thinking about thinking to hurt anyone with anything.*****

And yes I am new here. I never ever imagined this discussion would
become so useful to me. I have never used any discussion boards, blogs
or anything like that. I was just tired of doing my research on web
searching google, alta vista, ask jeeves etc. and I just gave this a
try as a last resort. I expected nothing out of this but I am really
amazed to how active, prompt and useful this discussion board has been.
I really appreciate all ya'll's input in this especially Bob and Ed you
guys were really helpful and a Big Thank You to you both.

I hope that cleared your concerns Moonraker and others' as well. I
could have ignored your message but since you were the second person to
mention this I felt I should share my thoughts here.

Regards,
Tahir.

Old June 6th 06, 04:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

"FlameNwind" wrote in message
ewww, Moon! Just because of his name???? Puhleeze! Does this mean you
wouldn't help someone named Timothy (i.e. McVeigh), especially if his

header
showed he was from Oklahoma? C'mon...there are over 1.2 million
Arab-Americans in the US and nearly 2 million Muslims in Britain. Are we

fear them all and assume they are ALL out to get us? I'd rather be

cutting
glass...

Well, Lori...

at the time, McVeigh and his buddies didn't appear suspicious by buying
fertilizer and diesel oil, either. And, they were a group of anarchists
that hated the US government, not religious fanatics that hate everyone who
isn't a fellow raghead.

When the Muslim clerics say that they want "death to the infidels", one can
only make the assumption that they are not just blowing smoke, so to speak.
If you don't think we are deeply engaged in a holy war, you are, I'm
afraid, hiding your head in the sand. Fear the Arabs?...no! Trust them?
Not as far as I could throw a grand piano.

On Sept 12, 2001 I made a decision that I would never directly do business
with an Arab again. I have walked into, and right back out of convenience
stores, donut shops, and other businesses with an Arab behind the counter.
I have turned down LOTS of leaded glass repairs (several thousands of $$$
worth) from folks named Muhammed or the like. I would rather sit in the
shop and play solitare than have to deal with one. I'm sure my one-man
boycott of Arab-owned businesses in the US hasn't caused any of them to go
back where they came from, but, I can hope. Why do business with someone
who hates me because I'm American, caucausian, and Christian?

Other than the aforementioned McVeigh and a few Irishmen who have a problem
with the Queen, there's been darn little happen in the way of terrorism in
the last few decades around the globe that wasn't directly attributable to
Muslims. So, are they ALL out to get us? Dunno. Problem is, a good
number of them are, and which ones?

And some nimrod coming on a news group without any apparent history of glass
artisanry and being willing to throw lots of money at a system to handle HF
sure does make this old grey head wonder. I have a pretty good bull****
detector, and it went off, big time, on this thread.

Old June 6th 06, 04:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

^TahirKanch^ wrote:

Hi Harry,

Thanks for the advice. Went to the Fire Marshall's office after asking
a few people in the city office. All he cared about was I should be in
compliance. Didn't know any consultants though. But that is a good
direction to go with I believe. I'll try to dig out some consulting
firms don't know what they are called though.

So I guess, this initiates another subsidiary quest in search of my
lost kingdom

Contact DuPont chemical. I believe they are a large manufacturer of the
stuff in Texas.

From my experience, I would wear what is known as an "A" Suit. Heavy
rubber, zips to the neck with a hood and supplied breathing air. Usually
bright pink so that sane people can avoid you.

Jack
Old June 6th 06, 04:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Moonraker wrote:

[...]

I wouldn't go that far. They're looking for specific info. If somebody
wanted to screw things up that would be easy. Any chemical supply will
sell the stuff to any fool that comes in.

Jack

Gold refining in a nutshell. bigmoe Jewelry 5 October 17th 05 04:12 PM
Acid Etching Charlie Jewelry 4 December 18th 04 04:11 PM
Acid Etching Charlie Jewelry 0 September 28th 04 03:57 PM
Technical questions on etching and annealing D Brock Glass 0 July 1st 03 05:32 PM