Old Time Quilting advice

Old August 28th 03, 01:15 AM
juliasb(nospam)

it was still the standard in the 60's and 45" was just coming in.
juliasb

Julia Altshuler wrote:

When did the industry standard change to 45" widths? And why? Obviously
it wasn't too terribly long ago. Was it after WWII? Did it have
something to do with fashion or machinery? I'm curious.

--Lia

--
come and journey with me...
from darkness into New Life

Old August 28th 03, 01:59 AM
The Nielands

I remember working at a fabric shop in the late 60s, and I'm sure we still
had 36-inch fabric then, but 45-inch was becoming much more prevalent. I
have no idea why 45-inch became the standard, but it could have been smart
marketing on the part of the fabric manufacturers. If it took 2-1/2 yards of
36" fabric to make a dress but only 2 yards of 45" fabric, my guess is the
consumer gravitated to the 45" fabric. Now, we're all smart enough to
realize that the cost was probably about the same, because the cost for the
45" fabric was most likely higher than that of the 36" fabric. But if people
felt they were getting by with less (we do let our minds play tricks on us
sometimes) and then preferred the 45" fabric as a result, the manufacturers
were probably quick to give them what they wanted.

Then again, it could have been due to changes in machinery!!!

Louise in Iowa
"Patti" wrote in message
Yes, it was definitely after the War.
You can still get fabrics from a 36" loom nowadays, eg Broderie Anglais.
I have a feeling it was in the sixties.
.
In article cW83b.276516$YN5.187730@sccrnsc01, Julia Altshuler
writes

When did the industry standard change to 45" widths? And why?
Obviously it wasn't too terribly long ago. Was it after WWII? Did it
have something to do with fashion or machinery? I'm curious.

--Lia

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

Old August 28th 03, 03:22 AM
taria

That book is a classic and a good addition to a quilters
library. I would say the transition in fabric widths was
late 60's, early 70's. Took some years I think. I was very
young then though VBG
Taria

"LN (remove NOSPAM)" wrote:

I think I know how she got her last name.

--
LN in NH
a crazy quilter * hand quilter * & hand appliquér

"Marcella Tracy Peek" wrote in message
I got a copy of a quilt book that was published in 1959. I was amused
by some of the things written and thought you all might get a kick out
of some of it.

"Quilt making is a simple art and lends itself to many pleasant
interludes - while listening to the radio, chatting with friends, or as
a bit of "pick up" work between household chores, for a quilt will be
made during a period of time and not at one sitting."

"The quilting craft...offers a binder for (families). Father and the
boys will find pleasure in making the quiting frame and its supporting
stands, and in keeping them in top notch condition."

"A quilt must not be too dramatic. Your quilt must blend into its
surroundings."

"Colors should harmonize with...the wood colors of the
furniture...wallpaper and other decorations."

"Almost all materials suitable for making quilts come in a width of 36
inches."

(remember 36" fabric! It's been a long time since I've seen any)

The author has pretty firm ideas about quilts only being made by hand.

There is also a lengthy pattern section where she is pretty clear
regarding which colors are best to use and when using a print is
permissible.

Think this is how the quilt police got their start?

marcella

oh..."The Standard Book of Quilt Making and Collecting" by Marguerite
Ickis

--
Please visit my web page at:
http://home1.gte.net/res0yk6g/taria/index.htm

See my Siberian Cat, Lilly, at:
http://home1.gte.net/res0yk6g/lillypage/lillycat.htm
Old August 28th 03, 03:56 PM
Nell Reynolds

I don't know, but I still have a few pieces.

Nell in Austin

"MB" wrote in message
Does anyone remember when fabric stopped being loomed in 36" widths?....
( just love trivia !)....Mary

Snipped:

Old August 28th 03, 04:05 PM
Nell Reynolds

When I was a girl and young lady, EVERY department store had a fabric
department, from Penneys and Sears up to the high end stores like Frost's
(in San Antonio) that I could not afford. Joske's (later sold to Dillard's)
was also high end, but had lower priced fabrics, too. That was in the days
when you bought cotton, linen, wool, or silk. Very few blends, although I
remember one gorgeous silk and wool Sunday dress I had -- I also had the
figure to show it off. Oh, those were the days.

Nell in nostalgia

"Butterfly" wrote in message
I remember buying fabric at J C Penney's, in the basement, and the gal
(Joyce was her name--and I can picture her as if she was standing next
to me--she was GOOD) bringing it to our attention that the fabric was
now wider so we wouldn't NEED as much and then she helped me lay out the
pattern. The Manager, at the time, was extremely good about the Fabric
Dept Ladies helping you understand how the difference could affect your
laying out : ) You NEVER felt rushed. I was sad when she retired.
Butterfly (not even sure if that store is still there)

juliasb(nospam) wrote:
The last I purchased was in the early to mid 70's. After that I did
not have a need for anything that would fall into that 36" need factor.
I wasn't quilting then so cottons were not the 'in' thing in the days
of double knits and polyesters.
juliasb

Old August 28th 03, 05:14 PM
Tutu Haynes-Smart

Not all got sold to India - our Da Gama indigos are still in 36" width
because the original machinery came from the UK and the plates for the
designs. Now we have some Da Game solids also in 36" coz that stuff comes
off the same production lines.

History is alive and well and living in South Africa VBG

Last time I looked, Da Gama indigos were available, inter alia, from
www.reproductionfabrics.com - but that was a while back.

Cheers for now

Tutu
Cape Town, South Africa
Charlie wrote in message
I was told it happened in the UK because we sold all our looms to india
after the invention of the 45". So my grandad used to say anyway.

Charlie.

Old August 28th 03, 06:21 PM
Patti

Yes, Nell
I always wondered why those little machines 'died the death'. Perhaps
nobody could be bothered to invent an electronic one!!
..
In article , Nell Reynolds
writes
Do you remember the little machine (about 4" wide by 6" high) that stuck up
above the edge of the cutting table? It had a horizontal notch that the
saleslady ran the folded edge of the fabric through, after maneuvering it
back and forth once or twice to find the starting point. Then she pulled it
through and a gauge measured the yardage. When she got to the length you
asked for, she pushed down on a lever on the side which made something cut a
snip in the fabric. Then she TORE it across and wrapped it up. And nobody
ever thought of washing fabric before cutting it out.

Nell, still in nostalgia

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old August 28th 03, 07:28 PM
nana2b

The Hancock in my town still uses that. So nice to see a little of the past
(a simpler and gentler time)

--
Sugar & Spice Quilts by Linda E
http://community.webshots.com/user/frame242

Old August 28th 03, 10:01 PM
Julia in MN

I think a lot of them were abandoned during the era of double knits;
knit fabric stretched when it was pulled through the machine and you
didn't get an accurate measurement. Knits also have to be cut, not torn.

Julia in MN

http://mail.chartermi.net/~jaccola/

Old August 28th 03, 10:19 PM
juliasb(nospam)

I sure do. I also remember the very first time I saw someone cut fabric
in the store with scissors. I was totally amazed.
juliasb