Need Book Suggestion!

Old August 23rd 03, 06:52 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
Pat in Virginia wrote:

Here is a request to help spend someone else's money. That is
always fun! What newly published quilting book, or durable
quilting accessory or tool, would you recommend as a 'prize' for
a quilter? Reward for a reaching a weight loss goal. Price up to
about $30 USA. This person likes bright and cheery quilts, does
SM piecing and applique, *usually* machine quilts, is comfortable
with drafting or adapting designs, is smart, talented, and
gorgeous too!! ;-)

PAT, shopping in VA/USA

I don't know what books you don't already have, Pat, though Freddy
Moran's is a good bet to get, as others have said. Or you might like Jan
Krentz's _Lone Star Quilts and Beyond_; she has some that are both
pieced and appliqueed, and you can make them as bright and cheery as you
like.

If you have money left after the book, I've just discovered a
brass-plated seam ripper that is the sharpest I've ever used! It makes
that frog stitching go so much more easily.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas -- who has met Pat and agrees with
her self-assessment

http://home.earthlink.net/~s_foster
Old August 23rd 03, 06:59 PM
Pat in Virginia

Sandy:
Did I say it is for me?? (Assuming innocent look here!)
I just believe in truth in advertising. LOL
PAT in VA/USA

Old August 23rd 03, 07:01 PM
Sud2rlg2

Hi Pat
The Dear Jane book might be something your friend will enjoy, though it is
missing your criteria of newly published. There is a new book by Brenda
Papadakis called Dear Hannah and also the Dear Jane CD - but I think that is in
the $45 range.
Deena in Philly
Old August 23rd 03, 07:05 PM
Pat in Virginia

Thanks Deena. "My friend" took a Carole Miller class called 'Jane
was nuts' which provides for speedy piecing, but a similar
result. I think this class is also available at Quilt University
on line. (NAYY.) So, "she" is slowly working on a faux Jane
project! Are you working on a Dear Jane project? BTW: the book
doesn't necessarily have to be new new, but should still be
available.
PAT in VA/USA

Old August 24th 03, 10:28 PM
earthmagic

I don't now when you need this prize, but Maggie Malone has a new book out
soon called "5,500 Quilt Block Designs". I'm a big fan of hers. It will be
an excellent reference book as, according to Amazon, it will also contain
info on block origins. It is less expensive than the Brackman book. I
ordered a copy from Amazon for $17.47.

earthmagic in oz

Old August 31st 03, 02:07 PM
Miriam \Mim\ Spencer

I wonder how long it would take to make 5,500 blocks?? I keep making a New
Years resolution to make a block from every book I own -- and then somehow
I never get anywhere even opening all of them. Of course, the next book I
see is the one I just MUST have. I just got another one last week in VA --
A Quilters Pocket Reference that had all the math stuff I keep forgetting.

Happy to be home where it is 20 degrees cooler.

Mim -- in nice cool Maine

Old September 2nd 03, 07:16 AM
earthmagic

"Miriam "Mim" Spencer" wrote in message
I wonder how long it would take to make 5,500 blocks??

I just dug out the calculator. It would take about 15 years or so if you
made one block a night !!!!!!!!!

earthmagic in oz

Old September 2nd 03, 07:30 AM
earthmagic

I wondered the same thing, Mim. And also if a quilt was made with all the
5,500 blocks, it would surely break some kind of record size-wise. I can't
wait for the book to arrive.
earthmagic in oz.

Old September 2nd 03, 11:50 AM
Miriam \Mim\ Spencer

15 years !!!! My MIL used to say "it will do me out" when she got
something that would last a long while. At the rate I don't get things
done, it would 'do me out' several lifetimes LOL
Mim