? for the group regarding combining clays

Old January 21st 05, 09:37 PM
Barbara Forbes-Lyons

Default ? for the group regarding combining clays

I did google this question, but couldn't find an adequate answer.

I know that combining two clays of vastly different characteristics (for
example Sculpey and Fimo Classic) is a no-no. However, it seems that Premo
and Fimo Soft are fairly comparable. Is this true? Have you tried combining
the clays into a project and what were the results? Are baking times greatly
affected?

--
Barbara

Old January 22nd 05, 01:16 AM
Diana Curtis

Are you talking about using the two clays together in something like a cane,
or mixing the clays together to make a new color, or using the two clays in
the same piece (like sticking an arm on a torso) The answer to that will
help those who have answers (not me) be able to help.
Diana

--
Weird people need beads, too

Old January 22nd 05, 02:40 AM
Debbie B

I use Sculpey & Premo & Fimo. I mix them together all the time. I
basically bake 20 mins at 275 degrees. I haven't had any problems except
the sculpey gets smushy faster.

--
Debbie (New Mexico)
My Crafts: http://home.earthlink.net/~debbierhcb/

Old January 22nd 05, 03:36 PM
Sarajane

Hiya Barbara!
The polymer clays are mostly compatable ingredients. There's the
plastic istself, the colorants, and the plasticisers that keep it soft
as well as kaolin (china clay) to make it more opaque/harder in some
and mica in some. The differences from brand to brand have to do mostly
with proportions in the "recipe", but Sculpey is one clay that has both
a water based and an oil based plasticiser. Most have only the oil
based plasticiser. When using metallic leaf of the cheaper varieties(as
in NOT the 24K gold!!) in techniques like mokume gane the foils will
tarnish over time due to that. Otherwise, the two clays that are mixed
have their properties meet in the middle---a firm clay like Premo will
strengthen the sculpey mixed in with it, but the mix is also then
weaker than the premo alone would be.

Old January 22nd 05, 03:38 PM
Sarajane

Barbara, I re-read you original question here---combining the sculpey
and fimo classic is (or other differeing clays) is ONLY a no-no for
sure when caning---thins is because the soft and hard elements wont
reduce equally, the soft will squish too fast. When caning you want all
your clays the same----whether its the same soft, medium, or hard---you
want equality.

Old January 23rd 05, 04:33 PM
Barbara Forbes-Lyons

What I want to do is mix Premo with Fimo Soft. I picked up some Fimo Soft
at the Joann's going out of biz sale and wanted to use it with Premo
translucent...or in some canework with Premo. I just wanted to make sure I
wasn't dooming myself.

I have a Sculpey sampler pack, but have never used it.

Thanks, everyone!

Barbara

Old January 24th 05, 07:43 PM
SunsetStarWolf

Hi Barbara,

I would suggest that you combine the clays to make new colors, rather than
using them separately in a cane. Since they have slightly different qualities,
your canework may suffer during reduction; the softer clay reducing at a
different rate from the other. If you mix the clays together... to form new
colors, or even just blue mixed with blue.. then at least you'll have a batch
of equally consistent clay to work with, and doing cane work should be fine.

Barbara
Old January 24th 05, 10:42 PM
Barbara Forbes-Lyons

Thanks, Barbara. I wanted to mix the metallics with translucents and then
apply them as bas-relief decorations to solid clay items. Think keum-boo
with polyclay.

Barbara also.

Old January 25th 05, 03:53 PM
Bles

Sorry I am way off your topic of discussion but I wish to enquire about a
recipe for making China Clay. We are craft distributors in South Africa
and wish to produce our own brand but have difficulty in obtaining the
recipe.

Can someone help????

Thank you

Bles.