Floss Organizing System ??

Old January 29th 08, 11:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

Default Floss Organizing System ??

I know this has been asked and answered a gazillion times, but I'm dense and
I never really paid attention.

I got extremely frustrated this afternoon looking for a certain color of
DMC thread (I never did find it) and I decided it's time to do something
about my messy system.

So what's the consensus on the best, easiest way to organize thread?

This time I promise to be good and listen.

Lucille

Old January 29th 08, 11:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
'Nez

On Jan 29, 5:12�pm, "Lucille" [email protected] at comcast..net
wrote:
So what's the consensus on the best, easiest way to organize thread?

This time I promise to be good and listen.

Lucille

I use a Loran orgaizer with the cards made out in numerical order on
the holes. Makes a good way to find quick. All you need to know is
how to read numbers. Frances
Old January 30th 08, 12:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Jan 29, 6:12 pm, "Lucille" [email protected] at comcast..net
wrote:
I know this has been asked and answered a gazillion times, but I'm dense and
I never really paid attention.

I got extremely frustrated this afternoon looking for a certain color of
DMC thread (I never did find it) and I decided it's time to do something
about my messy system.

So what's the consensus on the best, easiest way to organize thread?

This time I promise to be good and listen.

Lucille

I have my floss on bobbins, in floss boxes. I have all but 33 DMC
colours, and they fit in 7 boxes, which sit neatly on a bookshelf. I
like this system because it's easy to find what I need, and if I'm
trying to choose colours, I can open all the boxes and spread them out
on the floor to see what catches my eye. Hope that helps!
Louisa
Old January 30th 08, 01:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

Lucille wrote:

So what's the consensus on the best, easiest way to organize thread?

Depends on how well you know the numbers and/or if you have a DMC color
card.

Since I have DMC and Anchor and MEZ Sticktwist and even some old Susan
Bates, I file by color. A hardware parts cabinet will hold a skein laid
flat. If I don't instantly recognize the number, I consult the DMC
color card to know what drawer to look in.

I start with the general ROYGBIV system, and in colors where I have more
than will fit neatly in a single drawer, I subdivide, e.g., red is split
into violet-reds, red-reds, orange-reds, and pinks. Then drawers for
browns, rusts (which I suppose could be filed under orange), black,
grey, and white/ecru.

The cabinet I bought has a large drawer on the bottom, which I use for
my variegated flosses.

If all I had was DMC, I might file by number, but my conglomeration of
brands makes that too unwieldly.

Using the hardware parts cabinet eliminates all those hours of
bobbin-winding.

--
Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

Finished 1/19/08 - Sesame Street group picture

WIP: MLI The Teacher (gift to the library),
Bethany Angel, Flowers of Hawaii (Jeanette Crews) for ME!!!
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel

www.CFSfacts.org -- where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf