just stained glass

Old September 23rd 05, 02:19 AM
Will Woodard

Default just stained glass

Sheesh! I didn't mean to get everyone started insulting each other. Maybe I
should have worded my original post differently... like, "I'm not into the
glassblowing, and kiln stuff but I love making stained glass windows/panels.
I'm a lazy ass, so would rather not sift through the stuff posted in this
group that deals with glassblowing and kilns. Is there a newsgroup where
people post only about stained glass? ....and not the glassblowing kind of
thing?" I'm getting the feeling that this group might be my best option.
I'm not looking for someplace to buy glass or supplies, just a place where
"stained glassers" post hints, and tips, .....ideas about making stained
glass panels, drawing patterns, etc. I can sift through the blowing, and
kiln posts if this is the only newsgroup where people post the stuff I'm
intereted in. It's cool. Thanks

Old September 23rd 05, 02:27 AM

Maybe you missed it in my original post, but here's a link to a number
of different boards. Many are almost exclusively about stained glass.
Most get more traffic than this one. All have instant posting.

http://www.thestorefinder.com/glass/glass_bb.html

Old September 23rd 05, 02:40 AM

If you're curious why the animosity, it's because I routinely advocate
that glass artisans that buy supplies to make into a product for resale
should not be buying from retail shops but should buy at the same
wholesale prices as retail shops. I created a business specifically to
provide that opportunity to working artisans. It's ****ed off a lot of
retailers.

http://www.victorianartglass.biz.

Old September 23rd 05, 03:11 AM
Moonraker

wrote in message
oups.com...
If you're curious why the animosity, it's because I routinely advocate
that glass artisans that buy supplies to make into a product for resale
should not be buying from retail shops but should buy at the same
wholesale prices as retail shops. I created a business specifically to
provide that opportunity to working artisans. It's ****ed off a lot of
retailers.

http://www.victorianartglass.biz.

It isn't JUST the retailers you **** off. It's pretty much everybody in the
whole glass business, including manufacturers, importers, artisans, and
hobbiests.

Your entire business model, if you can call it that, is pure self-serving
nonsense.

Old September 23rd 05, 05:48 PM

So far the only complaints have come from retailers. The manufacturers
are happy to sell to us, we do our own importing (and exporting), and
the distributors and artisans seem happy to buy from us.

The only concern expressed by hobbyists is that we don't sell to them -
but we am negotiating to supply E-tailers that will. Here's an example
why the retailers are upset:

http://www.victorianartglass.biz/spe...o/specials.htm

Self serving? Of course - but it also serves to provide better pricing
to working artisans. If you use the materials to make a for sale
product, you should buy those materials wholesale. Retailers are to
serve the hobbyists.

Old September 23rd 05, 07:38 PM
Javahut

"Will Woodard" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Ah, hell, Will, we're just having alittle fun at Dennis's expense and get
carried away, or maybe not...
But if you have a glass curious type question, fire it out there, nobody
will jump you.

Old September 23rd 05, 10:17 PM
Moonraker

wrote in message
ups.com...

Self serving? Of course - but it also serves to provide better pricing
to working artisans. If you use the materials to make a for sale
product, you should buy those materials wholesale. Retailers are to
serve the hobbyists.

Nonsense. Absolute total nonsense. By your logic, then, I should pay
retail pricing for the materials on any gifts I might make?

All you are trying to do is lend some artifical credibility to a bunch of
basement bandits and wannabes.

The cost of the glass and metal in any stained glass project is a very small
percentage of the selling price...that is, if the project is actually being
built by a real professional artisan. Me spending $30-50 more for supplies
on a $1000 sale is certainly worth the convenience of having a local source
for that odd piece of glass or whatever I need on short notice.

I'm far from a hobbyist...and I use retailers for virtually all of my
supplies. Know why? Because when that retailer gets an inquiry on a major
repair or restoration or for new work that they can't handle, I get a phone
call. So, I spend a few extra bucks a month keeping the local economy
going, and it comes back to me in spades. When I walk into a store, they
know me. I don't have to give them a customer number and a password and
wait for two friggin' weeks for some bozo to process an order.

Old September 24th 05, 01:30 AM
Mike Firth

No, Dennis.
Wholesale is for people who regularly purchase reasonable and case
quantities and know good business relations depend on both parties, so they
know how the business works and what the terminology might be. The savings
from this regularity for the source results in savings for the customer.
Retail is for answering all the questions from people who want to spend as
little as possible on just enough glass and other supplies for a single
project, including the (fortunately) relatively rare people who believe that
if they break a piece of glass they should get a free replacement and those
who demand obsiquiousness ["You are the employee and I am the customer and
don't give me that attitude."]
Somewhere in between are the people who make more stuff than the hobbiests
but not so much as the professionals but think, more or less accurately,
that they should get the advantages of the latter. The more obnoxious ones
think that all suppliers should somehow be forced to the standard of the
more polite ones that treat them as wholesale customers.

--
Mike Firth
No more levees
"Moonraker" wrote in message