Difference between overlocks and coverstich?

Old January 8th 04, 03:15 AM
unbroken

Default Difference between overlocks and coverstich?

I'm considering investing in a serger. And while searching for one I had to
choose wether I wanted a overlock or coverstitch. Can someone tell me the
difference? Thanks.

Isabella

Old January 8th 04, 02:59 PM
unbroken

Uhm, help?

Old January 8th 04, 03:25 PM
Jenn Ridley

"unbroken" wrote:

I'm considering investing in a serger. And while searching for one I had to
choose wether I wanted a overlock or coverstitch. Can someone tell me the
difference? Thanks.

It shouldn't be an 'or' question. It's an 'and' question. DO you
want overlock and coverstitch or just overlock.

Overlock is the 'standard' serger seam. One or two needle threads,
upper looper and lower looper threads going around the seam allowance.

Coverstitch is more of a hemming/finishing stitch. Look at the hem on
a tshirt. *that's* a coverstitch.

All sergers do an overlock stitch. Many newer sergers will do a
coverstitch.

jenn
--
Jenn Ridley

Old January 8th 04, 04:11 PM
Penny S

unbroken scribbled on a scrap of paper:
Uhm, help?

this is a low traffic ng. Good things come to those with patience.

Old January 8th 04, 04:18 PM
Penny S

Jenn Ridley scribbled on a scrap of paper:
"unbroken" wrote:

I'm considering investing in a serger. And while searching for one I
had to choose wether I wanted a overlock or coverstitch. Can someone
tell me the difference? Thanks.

It shouldn't be an 'or' question. It's an 'and' question. DO you
want overlock and coverstitch or just overlock.

Overlock is the 'standard' serger seam. One or two needle threads,
upper looper and lower looper threads going around the seam allowance.

Coverstitch is more of a hemming/finishing stitch. Look at the hem on
a tshirt. *that's* a coverstitch.

All sergers do an overlock stitch. Many newer sergers will do a
coverstitch.

jenn

A standard cover stitch has serger type sewing ( loops) on one side, and two
or three rows of "straight" stitch on the other side, this is what you
should look for when trying to see what it is.

There are some cover stitch dedicated machines that do not do regular
serging. Many of the new ones, as Jenn says, do both.

Penny S

Old January 8th 04, 04:48 PM
unbroken

"Penny S" wrote in message
unbroken scribbled on a scrap of paper:
Uhm, help?

this is a low traffic ng. Good things come to those with patience.

Yeah but you don't have to be bitchy about it.

Isabella

Old January 8th 04, 04:50 PM
unbroken

"Jenn Ridley" wrote in message

snippens

It shouldn't be an 'or' question. It's an 'and' question. DO you
want overlock and coverstitch or just overlock.

Overlock is the 'standard' serger seam. One or two needle threads,
upper looper and lower looper threads going around the seam allowance.

Coverstitch is more of a hemming/finishing stitch. Look at the hem on
a tshirt. *that's* a coverstitch.

All sergers do an overlock stitch. Many newer sergers will do a
coverstitch.

jenn
--
Jenn Ridley

Thanks Jenn. I kind of got confused by that website. But it just said
Overlock or Coverstich as they were in separate sections. But thank you
bunches!! That helped me heh. I want the coverstitch.

Isabella

Old January 8th 04, 05:02 PM
Jenn Ridley

"unbroken" wrote:

"Penny S" wrote in message
unbroken scribbled on a scrap of paper:
Uhm, help?

this is a low traffic ng. Good things come to those with patience.

Yeah but you don't have to be bitchy about it.

Ummm. You're the one getting "bitchy". Penny just made a simple
observation and rather polite comment.

Posting a request at 10pm EST, and following up less than 12 hours
later is kind of pushy. Traffic on the group drops *well* off after
about 9 est, and doesn't pick up again until 10 am est. according to
my news server, there were four messages to this group between your
first request and the followup.

I, and probably many other people on this newsgroup, didn't see your
first message until you had already sent the second one. If it's that
important to you, why didn't you do a websearch? That's what I did.

jenn
--
Jenn Ridley

Old January 8th 04, 05:25 PM
Penny S

"unbroken" wrote:

"Penny S" wrote in message
unbroken scribbled on a scrap of paper:
Uhm, help?

this is a low traffic ng. Good things come to those with patience.

Yeah but you don't have to be bitchy about it.

Ummm. You're the one getting "bitchy". Penny just made a simple
observation and rather polite comment.

Posting a request at 10pm EST, and following up less than 12 hours
later is kind of pushy. Traffic on the group drops *well* off after
about 9 est, and doesn't pick up again until 10 am est. according to
my news server, there were four messages to this group between your
first request and the followup.

I, and probably many other people on this newsgroup, didn't see your
first message until you had already sent the second one. If it's that
important to you, why didn't you do a websearch? That's what I did.

jenn

it's important to note, too that there are two sewing ng's, and this one has
about 1/8 the traffic that alt.sewing does.

Penny