Helloooooooo! Anyone there?

Old March 24th 12, 03:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in Calif

Default Helloooooooo! Anyone there?

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 3/23/12 6:41 PM, ndjoan wrote:

On 3/23/2012 2:34 PM, wrote:

This will probably be the last year I'll be able to say that, since the
NCAA stuck their snotty, snooty PC noses into our business.

What's up ? The Sioux part ?

Yes. NCAA says any Native American names are "hostile and abusive",
although I'm hard-pressed, having lived here and worked on campus for
over 30 years, to have seen any of that!

And there have been rumblings (not from the NCAA) over the names of
several local HS's team names - Lancers, Knights, as being "violent or
supportive of violence"

Cheryl

What would they suggest in the alternative, the Fighting Fairies? The
Providence Princesses?

One of our local HS teams is the Zebras.

COPYRIGHT 2012 -- PERMISSION GIVEN TO POST ON
USENET AND GOOGLE GROUPS NEWSREADER ONLY,
BUT IF FOUND ON TWITTER OR SEW GIRLS, IT HAS
BEEN REPUBLISHED WITHOUT MY PERMISSION WHICH
CONSTITUTES ILLEGAL COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT
--

Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader

Finished 3/18/12 -- Monogram by Rita Weiss

WIP: Stitchers Days of Christmas
http://www.crossstitchjoy.com/catalo...oducts_id=3865
Nativity from "Countdown to Christmas" book, Oriental Kimono (Janlynn),
MLI The Teacher (gift to the library), Bethany Angel (Marbek)
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel, MLI Farmers Market

www.CFSfacts.org -- where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
(also on Facebook)
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf
Old March 24th 12, 03:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 3/24/12 10:52 AM, in article , "Ellice
K." wrote:

*big snip*
Correcting my typo

While the CAPS are doing some historic

Choking....

DH's alma mater - Big Red - Cornell -
took out Michigan last night in a great game. Unbelievable & weird
officiating - there were more than 2 times as many penalty minutes against
Cornell as Michigan, including a 5 on 3, during a 5 min major. So, we
actually were supposed to be watching the CAPS vs Winnipeg game, but were
switching a lot. Eventually just went to the Cornell game - especially
after the final choking of the CAPS in the OT. Seemed the college game was
about the same speed by then - they're not really IRL - but seemed so.

We're happy to see that - so DH will be parading around the house wearing
his little tuque - when he was the back-up goalie at Big Red - they didn't
have to wear their helmets on the bench, so that is what he wore.
Consequently, he cherishes that 30 year old knit cap. It is very carefully
washed - and he wears it when there are tourneys here that he's officiating
at in some capacity - like when we worked off-ice official stuff at the
frozen four last year, or at Midget Nationals and at the Women's Juniors
this year.

Go BIG RED!!!!!!!!!!

Ellice

Old March 25th 12, 06:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ndjoan

On 3/24/2012 7:19 AM, Cheryl Isaak wrote:

the NCAA needs to get it's head out of it's ass

I totally agree!!!!

And there have been rumblings (not from the NCAA) over the names of
several local HS's team names - Lancers, Knights, as being "violent or
supportive of violence"

Wow! I guess maybe they should stop most sports, since they are/can be
"violent"! Hockey, football, baseball (might get hit with a ball,
donchaknow!), tennis, Lacross, and on and on.....

In fact, I can't think of one sport off the top of my head that doesn't
involve some sort of "danger"!

Joan

Old March 25th 12, 06:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ndjoan

On 3/24/2012 9:56 AM, Ellice K. wrote:

I know nothing about the situation with the Sioux nations. In Florida, the
Seminoles and FSU have a pretty respectful situation, in that the athletes
have worn jackets made for them by the Seminole tribe for many years - thus
providing $$$ way before anyone thought to do the right thing.

There was a sacred pipe ceremony in 1969 in which elders from both
reservations "gave" the University the right to use their name. That
makes no difference to the powers at the NCAA!!!! In fact, they never
contacted *any* of the tribes about their feelings on the topic before
they made their decree back in 2007!

The Sioux, being an oral history culture, wanted no pictures about the
event. Now the NCAA is using even that against us, because there's
nothing in writing about the event!

Who knows how the truly offensive Redskins in the NFL has managed to stay as
a name - that really is much the worst - imagine a team name for the
pejorative color a group's skin. Really.

That I do agree with. The high school I went to used to be called the
Redskins and I did support that name change. They are now the Knights.

I guess if the PC Police are rallying in NH about those types of names,
that name may disappear, too!

Joan
Old March 26th 12, 03:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ndjoan

On 3/24/2012 6:34 AM, Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Every advance is a big deal

It is. Unfortunately they lost at the regionals this weekend. Waaaaah!

--
Joan

See my needlework he
http://community.webshots.com/user/ndjoan

Unknown
Old March 26th 12, 03:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ndjoan

On 3/24/2012 9:52 AM, Ellice K. wrote:

Also - what's with the NCAA Hockey logo - they have
nubs for feet - lobbed off with no skates - I'm thinking of writing a
letter!

You should! That looks ridiculous. Maybe someone found having skates
on the logo was abusive and offensive!

We're happy to see that - so DH will be parading around the house wearing
his little tuque -

Hopefully he'll have on more than just that! lol

Old March 26th 12, 03:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ndjoan

On 3/24/2012 9:55 AM, Karen C in Calif wrote:
After 31.5 years, my microwave finally needs to be replaced. ... When I turned
it on the other night, the rust spot was glowing orange like it was
about to catch fire, so as a safety matter, I ordered a new one.

Certainly sounds like it needs replacing! Good thing you caught it when
you did!

Old March 27th 12, 02:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 3/26/12 10:54 AM, in article , "ndjoan"
wrote:

On 3/24/2012 6:34 AM, Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Every advance is a big deal

It is. Unfortunately they lost at the regionals this weekend. Waaaaah!

Yeah - we share that pain - DH was only a bit mopey.... There's always next
year.

Ellice

Old March 27th 12, 02:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 3/26/12 10:57 AM, in article , "ndjoan"
wrote:

On 3/24/2012 9:52 AM, Ellice K. wrote:

Also - what's with the NCAA Hockey logo - they have
nubs for feet - lobbed off with no skates - I'm thinking of writing a
letter!

You should! That looks ridiculous. Maybe someone found having skates
on the logo was abusive and offensive!

We're happy to see that - so DH will be parading around the house wearing
his little tuque -

Hopefully he'll have on more than just that! lol

ROFLMAO - well, yes. Now that we're an old married couple - not that it
might not have happened in the younger, courting days post hockey, after
much liquid replenishment.... And it may have been said that I perhaps did
marry him for his "perky, Lithuanian, goalie-boy butt" amongst other
attributes....
There is something to be said for a guy who has spent virtually his
entire life doing a sport that involves a serious amount of leg & gluteal
muscle strength & endurance - if that appeals to you. As long as everything
else doesn't go to seed - I just feel bad that he's kind of stuck with me
after my warranty so clearly has worn out - so to speak.
The tuque is away now, safe for the season.
But, hey, evidently Ovie decided to come back to play for the last
several games....

Ellice