best fiber/yarn for a man's scarf?

Old August 16th 06, 03:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mystified One

Default best fiber/yarn for a man's scarf?

I have a friend with COPD who could probably use a good winter scarf. What
fiber or brand would you reccommend? I'd like this to be really special.

Old August 16th 06, 03:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Wooly

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 02:32:13 GMT, "Mystified One"
spewed forth :

I have a friend with COPD who could probably use a good winter scarf. What
fiber or brand would you reccommend? I'd like this to be really special.

Jaggerspun Zephyr. 50/50 fine merino and wool. He can wear it under
something heftier and scratchier in really bad weather, or alone in
reasonablly cold but unwindy temps.

Cashmere. Any sort of 100% cashmere.

Polwarth/qiviut blend from http://www.minimills.net (they've changed
the website so I have no idea how you'll go about ordering from them,
but I used some of thisyarn for bedsocks and it is just amazing)

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...
Old August 16th 06, 03:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Wooly

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 02:44:56 GMT, Wooly spewed forth :

Jaggerspun Zephyr. 50/50 fine merino and wool.

Well, that'll be 50/50 fine wool and SILK.

Duuuuuhhhhhrrrrr.

+++++++++++++

Old August 16th 06, 04:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
SpikeDriver

Wooly wrote:
On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 02:44:56 GMT, Wooly spewed forth :

Jaggerspun Zephyr. 50/50 fine merino and wool.

Well, that'll be 50/50 fine wool and SILK.

Duuuuuhhhhhrrrrr.

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...

Wooly I have used the same yarn for a scarf for myself. I am always
making something special for some one else so, I asked one of my local
friends and they recomendation was the same.

I LOVE IT, the scarf I made was black and dark grey.

Hugs & God bless,
Dennis & Gail
Old August 16th 06, 04:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
SpikeDriver

Wooly wrote:
On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 02:44:56 GMT, Wooly spewed forth :

Jaggerspun Zephyr. 50/50 fine merino and wool.

Well, that'll be 50/50 fine wool and SILK.

Duuuuuhhhhhrrrrr.

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...

I used pitch and slate from below. I thought it was the same blend as
Wooly's but it has Alpaca also. I love it and so will he. In 25 years
I have not found a yarn I like better for a scarf. I did a simple 2x2
ribbing alternating colors every inch and a half.

Wooly have you used this yarn and what to you think?

http://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/itemi...n_display.aspx

Hugs & God bless,

Dennis & Gail
Old August 16th 06, 01:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Alison

wrote:

I have a friend with COPD who could probably use a good winter scarf. What
fiber or brand would you reccommend? I'd like this to be really special.

i made a scarf for a friend out of Knitpicks Andean Treasure (baby
alpaca) - I used the dark red Embers color and a simple star stitch.
He loved it.

Alison
Old August 16th 06, 02:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Wooly

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 22:52:16 -0500, SpikeDriver
spewed forth :

Wooly have you used this yarn and what to you think?

http://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/itemi...n_display.aspx

I have no opinion on the stuff as I haven't used it. Sorry I can't be
more helpful.

+++++++++++++

Old August 17th 06, 03:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Alison

wrote:

Wooly wrote:
On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 02:44:56 GMT, Wooly spewed forth :

Jaggerspun Zephyr. 50/50 fine merino and wool.

Well, that'll be 50/50 fine wool and SILK.

Duuuuuhhhhhrrrrr.

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...

I used pitch and slate from below. I thought it was the same blend as
Wooly's but it has Alpaca also. I love it and so will he. In 25 years
I have not found a yarn I like better for a scarf. I did a simple 2x2
ribbing alternating colors every inch and a half.

Wooly have you used this yarn and what to you think?

http://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/itemi...n_display.aspx

Hugs & God bless,

Dennis & Gail

Hi Dennis, I'm not Wooly but I've knitted with the Andean Silk (that's
in the URL you listed.) I found it somehow a bit scratchier than the
baby alpaca (Andean Treasure) or the Elegance (baby alpaca and silk.)

ALison
Old August 17th 06, 05:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
SpikeDriver

wrote:

Wooly wrote:
[...]

Thank you Alison, I will try some and let you know how I like it.

Thanks much,
Dennis & Gail

My mossy scarf Qintes Yarn 57 January 24th 06 02:53 PM
Autumn scarf, a september FO. Aud Yarn 15 September 23rd 05 04:26 PM
Bad scarf, great purse LibraryCat513 Yarn 5 January 6th 05 09:58 AM
new/old scarf idea Linda [email protected] Yarn 6 December 2nd 04 08:32 PM
Crochet Scarf Pattern Help! Lindy Yarn 8 November 13th 03 07:03 PM