acrlic yarn

Old August 15th 06, 12:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Leah

Default acrlic yarn

Hi Brenda

Am I the only one who uses acrylic yarn? Seems wool yarn is always
mentioned in posts. I use acrylic because wool makes me itch, it's cheaper,
and it is more readily available in my area. What don't I know about which
yarn to use?

I use both kinds. I find myself gravitating towards acrylic when it's
for a friend or for an item that needs to be extra sturdy, like an
afghan. My afghans are pretty popular with my friends, so I want them
to last, and acrylic is very durable, easily washable in a machine,
and warm enough for inside in the winter. We have an acrylic afghan I
made 20 years ago still draped on the back of the couch. It's looking
a little ragged to me, but the DH and cats love it that way, because
it's gotten softer over the years with use and washing.

However, for going outside in wetter snowy weather, I find myself more
inclined to use wool. I really like Brown Sheep, both Naturespun
(will felt in a hot wash) and Lamb's Pride superwash (preshrunk).

Another major difference between wool and acrylic is wool will help
keep you warm even when it's wet. I've been out in some really wet
snowy conditions, and I know it's true from my own experience.
Wearing an acrylic face covering balaclava (only the eyes exposed)
takes 2 layers, while you only need 1 in wool to be the same warmth.
Also, cotton doesn't insulate very well, and while perfect around here
for summer, it's awful in the winter to be out in a wet snow with
cotton things on. Sure, there are more high tech fabrics around, but
they cost a fortune compared to a few skeins of wool and a lot of
pleasure in making and wearing my own creations.

Leah

Need name of yarn Linda Yarn 8 April 8th 04 06:05 PM
Using Homespun question Denise Yarn 8 January 8th 04 04:09 PM
My yarn addiction Elsa Yarn 24 December 17th 03 05:30 AM
FA Lots of Vintage Yarn! Noru, Pingouin, Lopi, More! DorothyRose1912 Marketplace 0 November 14th 03 03:19 AM
Aaaaaaaagghhh!! Slippery yarn rant... CMM PDX2 Yarn 8 September 1st 03 07:27 PM