Insurance and Cheap docs

Old February 6th 04, 09:50 AM
rainbow

Default Insurance and Cheap docs

When I had insurance, I had no choice in what I had. I was paid by a
previous employer. I didn't understand how inadequate it really was till
I found out it didn't pay everything, and I just did as told by docsand
made a nice little pile of bills for the stuff I had to pay for. Alot of
it was unnecessary stuff so tht the doc and insyrance co. could make a
buck. I am very sarcastic about this and the story is so deep and wide I
can't put it all here. My credit is screwed till donkeys fly. I have
lived a rebel's life ... no credit cards, shun the "system" and all of
that. If I neede care I paid cash. Probably less tha $300 a year. Even
when i became diabetic, the meds were not expensive, but boy was the
endocrinologist's first work up !!!!!! After that I lost 114 lbs, worked
out and did okay. I had eye surgery after my job gave us fee insurance.
To say that I got screwed every which way is putting it mildly, because
I didn't understnad what it all was about. I laugh about it now, but it
wasnt funny he day I was going in to a cardiologist's office for a test
I was positive I did not need. The prescribing doc, was arrested later
that year in an insurance scam for prescribing the tests for people that
didn't need them. And billing medicare and insurance ... I
looked at what some of you said about prices and H E double hockey
sticks if I could pay any of it ... If I required care for a chronic
disease, I have to go on welfare ! And then I'd be shuffled to the
community hospital where I would probably die of neglect. I had a friend
who almost did ... if we hadn't rescued her ! I get doctor care at
a low cost medical clinic here in Vegas. An intermediate exam with
generic meds ( 2 prescriptions ) was $50. I have had to only go once
this past year. The doctors rent the space, much like a beauty parlor
rents space to hairdressers, and they all share a dispensary. The one I
saw, I quizzed carefully. She doesn't have a private practice. If you
had to have lab work, you'd have to pay and go to a private lab and if
it was something serious they refer you to the University Medical
Center. The insurance I had before, didn't pay the lab costs for some
things I got and now I am blacklisted there. I am a single woman without
a partner that might have insurance at his job ... SCARY ... I ad a
friend who's job gave very low cost insurance to him and a spouse ... we
almost got legally married ( we've been friends for 35 years ), so I
could benefit from this. $50 per month ... but we decided not to. The
last job I had, that gave insurance, when i quit, the insurance that
used to be $90 a month had exceeded $300 PER PERSON. So
now, I have a statement that covers the way I feel, and that is, "I'll
never see another doctor as long as I live and as long as I live without
one, is as long as I live."
Rainbow

Old February 6th 04, 09:18 PM
Christina Peterson

I can't agree with this. But certainly, doctors are to used judiciously.
(Did you know the death rate goes down when doctors strike?) With 2 friends
attending dying parents and a couple having just lost them, I think of my
father. In his last years he got reasonably good medical care, but had a
non-resuscitation order so never had all the terrifying emergency trips to
the doctor. He was well off, but I think he felt much the same as you do.

Tina

"rainbow" wrote

Old February 6th 04, 09:46 PM
Dr. Sooz

[...]