sashing suggestions wanted please

Old November 1st 03, 02:48 AM
Ann

Default sashing suggestions wanted please

I'm doing a Saturday Sampler (a block a month). The instructor suggested we
do sashing for the block each month.

Any suggestions on sashing that I could do? I need some ideas to get me
motivated

Ann

Old November 1st 03, 04:06 AM
nzl*

i presume she means to add sashing on two sides of each one, so eventually
you'll be able to join them all up in a nice configuration.
i'd add them always to the same two sides.
if all else fails make a nice 'ms quilter america' sashing out of some
pretty coloured satin and wear that to your next class. that ought to get
her attention. snort
no seriously.
are all the blocks the same size? then the sashing will remain consistent.
if each months block is a different size the sashing size will be different,
eh. cant have 3 inch sashing on a 6 inch sq block, that'd look weird.
now colour might be a whole different story. do you want all the sashing the
same or each one to look nice with that block. you might even want to put
four different coloured sashing on the same sides of all the blocks, like
red on top, blue on the left, yellow on the right and green on the bottom,
then join them all up with more sashing in black.
gonna use plain colours or patterned fabrics?
could use hsts instead of plain sashing. double sashing, a thin of one
colour, then a wider of another colour. what other weird ideas might be
possible....
sew strips of plain or tone on tone, matching the fabrics already used in
the blocks, to get striped fabric, then cut across those stripes and join
em all together for the sashing.
or you might want just simple sashing that you can add some applique to
later to soften the whole effect of the pieced blocks, if they are all
angled units within the blocks.
then again, you might want plain sashing so you can add some fancy quilting
designs in the sashing for the visual texture.
ok, i'm outta weird ideas now, should keep ya thunkin' for a while anyhow,
snort
jeanne

"Ann" wrote...

Old November 1st 03, 05:07 AM
Ann

Thanks Jeanne for your suggestions
Tomorrow is the first time we return to the LQS with our first finished
block She said no plain strips for sashing. Not even sure if we just take
our sashing or attach to the block. No idea if each block will be the same
size.

Anyone going in tomorrow morning with the finished block, and a couple
strips of sashing get our name in for a free draw. I'm a sucker for those
free draws The idea is, I think, is to get us being creative and even
trying something new with sanshing. Well I'm a "follow the pattern, make
the block, sew them together" type of gal so anything to do with sashings is
new experience.

I think I'll check out my end peices from strip quilting sets and see what I
can come up with.

Ann

Old November 1st 03, 05:23 AM
nzl*

i love those freebies too.
have ya done a google on 'quilt sashing' yet?
those ends ya mentioned sound promising.
cant wait to see the outcome. post pix of u'r blocks as ya go too, eh.
good luck,
jeanne

"Ann" wrote...
> [...]
| sew strips of plain or tone on tone, matching the fabrics already used
in
| the blocks, to get striped fabric, then cut across those stripes and
join
| em all together for the sashing.
| or you might want just simple sashing that you can add some applique to
| later to soften the whole effect of the pieced blocks, if they are all
| angled units within the blocks.
| then again, you might want plain sashing so you can add some fancy
| quilting
| designs in the sashing for the visual texture.
| ok, i'm outta weird ideas now, should keep ya thunkin' for a while
anyhow,
| snort
| jeanne
|

| "Ann" wrote...
| | I'm doing a Saturday Sampler (a block a month). The instructor
| |
| | Any suggestions on sashing that I could do? I need some ideas to get
me
| motivated
| |
| | Ann
| |
| |

Old November 1st 03, 08:04 AM
Patti

Hullo Ann
I haven't done a lot of sashing myself; but I have seen one that I'd
love to try one day, when appropriate.
What happens is: you start with your regular long rectangular piece,
then - using a snowball technique I should think - 'cut off' the corners
with a contrasting colour. When the four sashings go together, with a
cornerstone the same colour as the corners, you have created a little
star at all the junctions. It looks so lovely.
Would that be creative enough for your class?
..
In article 9aFob.16160$EY3.8584@edtnps84, Ann
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old November 1st 03, 12:33 PM
Helen in MN

I've done two of these- one I loved, the other is okay.
My suggestion though is that whatever size you make your sashing, do it a
little bigger so that you have some "play" room to get your blocks all the
same size.
There is a great book by Sharyb Craig called "Setting Solutions" - all about
how to finish off a set of blocks. Worth taking a look at.
I finished one quilt by picking 4 colors, and then framing the blocks. Then
I added a sashing of another color. It's on the couch beside me. We did
have a border fabric to work with from the beginning. The other one I again
bordered first, and then put the blocks on point- that turned out to be my
"my gosh it's gaudy" quilt. My SIL did hers (30's prints) by buying plain
matching fabrics and mitering all the corners on the borders.
Have a good time.

Helen in MN

Old November 1st 03, 12:37 PM
CHARLES MURPHY

One of my favorites is an elongated hourglass, done by Eleanor Burns in her
historical women's quilt book(can't remember name of the book exactly) the
blocks look as if they are framed with a circle, I'm a sucker for
circles.Features each block individually and highlights.
Another favorite if blocks are mismatched in technique and color is attic
windows in a neutral to offset odd colors and mixed techniques.
Mauvice in Central WI

Old November 1st 03, 12:50 PM
Polly Esther

Great answer, Jeanne. Thorough. Inspiring. I might go make some sashing
myself.
Go to the head of the class. We'll even let you lead the line outside
for recess. A+ and a gold star. Polly

Old November 1st 03, 06:09 PM
Butterfly

OOOHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, You're talking about a Sairey Strip : )
Saw a quilt like this at a Quilt Show a while back--all black and white
with a very narrow RED Sairey Strip...there were a few of us RCTQ'ers at
the show and a few of us said "SAIREY STRIP" at the same time
Very effective
LOL
Butterfly

.

Old November 1st 03, 06:21 PM
Butterfly

Now you gone and done it.
She won't speak to the rest of us for a month of Sundays!
3 MAJOR goals allowed in ONE get-go! Shoot...one woulda been enuf!
Butterfly (did you EVER play that board game (Go To The Head of The
Class)--we did at 'recess' on snowy cold windy winter days--before they
started in on 'wind chill' stuff--if'n we were EXCEPTIONALLY good the
Teacher would let us continue playing after the bell rang : )