OFF TOPIC - stand mixers

Old December 7th 11, 10:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

Default OFF TOPIC - stand mixers

On 12/6/11 6:30 AM, wrote:
On Tue, 06 Dec 2011 05:49:04 -0500, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

On 12/5/11 5:18 PM,
wrote:
On Mon, 05 Dec 2011 16:40:37 -0500, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

On 12/5/11 3:51 PM, Kalmia wrote:
On Nov 25, 8:24 am, Cheryl wrote:
I have gleefully smoked the all in one mixer, blender, food processor I
got years ago as a gift (not something I'd have bought)

who has a favorite stand mixer? and why

I"m getting a new one for the holidays

Cheryl

I don't have or need a stand mixer, BUT I would caution you on
anything Cuisinart. I have their waffle iron and it's a hunk of
junk. One side not as hot as the other, and the knob fell off the
control. I glued it together, but there's too much play in the
control now. Have to flip the waffle to do both sides right.

the entire line gets terrible reviews

Depends - my Cuisinart food processor circa 1975 still works like a
charm, I did replace the main blade about ten years ago though.

My Cuisinart drip coffee maker, just made coffee yesterday that people
liked. It tasted as good as it smelled.

I suspect I should have qualified that as the newer items (last 3-5
years or so)

I am hoping I shall not replace any appliances now, hoping they will
'see me out' lol

I do have a feeling my six year old dishwasher is slowly washing less
well - according to one of my daughters, that seems to be the life of
them these days.

and sadly, she's right.

when I tell people that I have a 20 year old dishwasher, cooktop and
fridge, they are amazed. I've replaced the double ovens once. Third
microwave since we built the house.

Old December 8th 11, 11:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 12/7/11 9:39 AM, Karen C in Calif wrote:
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

when I tell people that I have a 20 year old dishwasher, cooktop and
fridge, they are amazed. I've replaced the double ovens once. Third
microwave since we built the house.

I bought my microwave in November 1980, which means it's 31 years old.
Mom's is pushing 40. And they get used every day.

one died due to stupid male syndrome (sorry guys, certain boy left his
spoon in the cup). and one died after a power outage that also fried the
first set of double ovens.
Old December 10th 11, 02:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 11/25/11 8:24 AM, in article , "Cheryl Isaak"
wrote:

I have gleefully smoked the all in one mixer, blender, food processor I
got years ago as a gift (not something I'd have bought)

who has a favorite stand mixer? and why

I"m getting a new one for the holidays

Cheryl

Since we've talked about this - you know I love my KitchenAid. I have the
Artisan, normal size. If I were baking for huge crowds, then I'd get the
bigger size - which has the lift mechanism instead of the tilt. Before this
I had an old Mixmaster. I really, really like the KitchenAid.

Ellice

..
Old December 10th 11, 03:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 11/25/11 4:47 PM, in article ,
" wrote:

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 22:38:16 +0200, Joyce in RSA
wrote:

On 2011/11/25 04:21 PM, Bruce wrote:
On 25/11/2011 13:57,
wrote:
On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 08:24:04 -0500, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

I have gleefully smoked the all in one mixer, blender, food processor I
got years ago as a gift (not something I'd have bought)

who has a favorite stand mixer? and why

I"m getting a new one for the holidays

Cheryl

I have a Kenwood,
http://tinyurl.com/86zkthe I just used it to beat
some cream cheese actually, the machine does not look like this one
but it is 43 years and counting and works as efficiently as the day I
bought it.

Has all the usual beaters and attachments, even back in my day.

Maureen uses her 30 year old Kenwood Chef on a regular basis. We did
have a whole host of gadgets that went with it but the only one used
nowadays is the liquidiser.

I also have a Kenwood, which is still going strong after almost 50
years. I loved it so much that we bought our 2 DDs and DS one each as
wedding presents. Mine and those of the DDs are used a great deal.

Joyce in RSA.

I wondered if those manufactured today are proving as reliable ? How
are theirs doing ?

Good question. I sent Cheryl a pdf of the Cook's Illustrated/America's
Test Kitchen Stand mixer test set. They tried a bunch of things with the
mixers and came out with the KitchenAid on top, then tge Bosch Compact
Kitchen Machine, then the Hamilton Beach Electrics, then the Euro Pro
Convertible Hand/Stand Mixer. However only the the top 2 got 3 stars for
Pizza Dough & Whipped Cream, the KitcheAid also got them for Cookie Dough.
But the basic info is on the Cook's website. If you're a subscriber, then
you can get the full article with the comparison matrix. If anyone's
interested - send me a note.

FWIW, I've been pretty happy with the DeLonghi Espresso machine I got last
year - for the amazing sale bargain of reduced from $120 to $79 less a $20
rebate. The support line was very helpful when I had some questions about
the less than explicit illustration for taking it apart to clean.

Ellice

..
Old December 10th 11, 03:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 11/27/11 6:40 AM, in article , "Cheryl Isaak"
wrote:

On 11/26/11 11:17 PM, Dianne Lewandowski wrote:
On 11/26/2011 10:27 AM, Susan Hartman wrote:
I have a KitchenAid as well- two or three years old. Rather than the
artisan, which has designer colors but a relatively lightweight motor, I
got the "Pro" model with (I think) a 5-1/2 qt.bowl.

I've had my KitchenAid 5-qt since the early 1980s and it's going strong.
I don't the kitchen when it kneads dough - don't trust that it won't
walk. And yes, you know I'm not mixing cake batter. grin But I
wouldn't trade it. The mixing paddle is becoming worn, but other than
that, she's a well-used beauty. I've been glad I didn't opt for the one
whose head releases, but rather have the one where you have a lever for
the bowl. For one thing, it would have been too small for some bread
recipes.

Dianne

Thanks Dianne - I want the larger one if the family really wants me to
make the apple cake more often.

I want the one with the lever to raise/lower the bowl
Cheryl

LOL - on sale at Costco right now - I knew you'd want to go for the bigger
one. I've done some pretty big & tough to mix bundt cakes in mine. Mine is
about 15 years old, it is actually with the 325 watt motor & 5 qt bowl. It
hasn't walked yet, and the bowl is big enough to do 2 loaves of things like
rustic bread. Luckily, I have the space & counter height to cabinet to
keep it out - though the bowl/attachments live in a double height drawer
below. When I'm using it, I just pull the mixer forward on the counter so
the tilt is completely free.

Ellice

..
Old December 10th 11, 03:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

wrote:

On 12/5/11 3:51 PM, Kalmia wrote:
On Nov 25, 8:24 am, Cheryl wrote:
I have gleefully smoked the all in one mixer, blender, food processor I
got years ago as a gift (not something I'd have bought)

who has a favorite stand mixer? and why

I"m getting a new one for the holidays

Cheryl

I don't have or need a stand mixer, BUT I would caution you on
anything Cuisinart. I have their waffle iron and it's a hunk of
junk. One side not as hot as the other, and the knob fell off the
control. I glued it together, but there's too much play in the
control now. Have to flip the waffle to do both sides right.

the entire line gets terrible reviews

Depends - my Cuisinart food processor circa 1975 still works like a
charm, I did replace the main blade about ten years ago though.

My Cuisinart drip coffee maker, just made coffee yesterday that people
liked. It tasted as good as it smelled.

Very true. My first food processor lasted a good 20+ years, and the only
reason it got replaced was getting lost in a move. The one I have now is
slightly larger than my original one, I've had it about 12 years, and it
works like a charm. I actually got the full disc set to go with my original
one, and used them. For this, I have the shredding, & 2 slicing disks, plus
the normal chopping metal & a plastic blade - good for some doughs. Have 2
workbowls for it, one with a flat top & an opening like on a blender for
pouring things in, the other the traditional with the feed tube. With all
the Indian cooking I was doing, I finally insisted on getting one - the xDH
thought it unneeded. However, as I & his mother pointed out - she has a
kitchen helper that chops & slices....I just have me. It's great for so
much, and because it's accessible, I do use it. But not for tiny things. I
also got a mandolin a few years ago - the OXO one - which seems to be the
most safe least likely to slice off a fingertip. I use that quite a bit for
a lot of slicing. All of these go in the dishwasher for cleaning, which I
think reduces my chance of needing stitches from a wash-up mishap. The food
processor makes a huge time difference in prep time when cooking some meals,
expecially for more than a few people.

Can't speak to other Cuisinart things, but their coffee pots & food
processors seem to do well.

Ellice

..
Old December 10th 11, 03:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 12/7/11 9:39 AM, in article , "Karen C in
Calif" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

when I tell people that I have a 20 year old dishwasher, cooktop and
fridge, they are amazed. I've replaced the double ovens once. Third
microwave since we built the house.

I bought my microwave in November 1980, which means it's 31 years old.
Mom's is pushing 40. And they get used every day.

That's pretty amazing. Are you sure it's actually still safe? The newer
ones are more efficient - take up less space for the power and more usable
interior room.

We just replaced the Kelvinator Freezer this past Sept. It was the oldest
thing in the house - pre-dating DH & I. His family had this, moved from NJ
to DC with it, and then we moved it from their house to our prior one, and
then to this house. Still kept at -10 F. However, the racket it was
making, and the amazing accumulation of frost finally put us over the edge.
That plus we'd bought a meat order from the farm we've been using this year
- and had 50# of lamb coming, and not enough space. The new freezer, a
great deal from a local store (he'd bought a few for the summer, and had one
left to move) not too fancy - but in a slightly smaller footprint, half
again the space. And no frost. Plus the big basket actually works, and we
can find everything in it. Just the difference in insulation makes a big
difference - they were laughing that our electric bill would likely go down
at least $50 a month because of the old appliance (really, likely about
$20).

Ellice

Old December 10th 11, 03:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

when I tell people that I have a 20 year old dishwasher, cooktop and
fridge, they are amazed. I've replaced the double ovens once. Third
microwave since we built the house.

I bought my microwave in November 1980, which means it's 31 years old.
Mom's is pushing 40. And they get used every day.

one died due to stupid male syndrome (sorry guys, certain boy left his
spoon in the cup). and one died after a power outage that also fried the
first set of double ovens.

Well, in stupid not my fault girl accident -we had a fire in this one when
it was only a couple of weeks old. It's an over the counter with vent type,
Maytag Gold - and I had the extra shelf in it. The thing sparked to a
chinese food container & a styrofoam one - which flamed and looked like
marshmallow fluff. It was repaired on warranty - but kept the stain from
the flames on the inner roof. The repair guy said not to keep the shelf in
there unless you're definitely using it - evidently they tend to cause
fires/sparking when not actually full of food. But the microwave still
works really well, and that's 6 years.

Ellice

Old December 10th 11, 03:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

On 12/6/2011 6:30 AM, wrote:
On Tue, 06 Dec 2011 05:49:04 -0500, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

wrote:

On 12/5/11 3:51 PM, Kalmia wrote:
On Nov 25, 8:24 am, Cheryl wrote:
[...]

Sheena,

In July I replaced my washer and dryer with two new machines ( I must
add, the various discounts I got helped). The old traditional ones
weren't dead yet, but I could see Florida rust coming through.
Anyway, I bought the Whirlpool Caprio washer and dryer combo. It uses
very little water..sounds like a spaceship taking off, but I love it to
death. I find it hard to believe there is an elf in there weighing the
clothes, determining what it needs etc...........but in 5 months, I have
yet to be disappointed.

Gill

Stand Tricia Needlework 0 May 13th 06 02:56 PM
Where do I stand? John Jewelry 4 February 21st 05 08:43 PM
off topic. sofi is 8 monts old and can stand and talk! DrQuilter Quilting 17 October 26th 04 05:22 PM
What does OT stand for? Pitt Needlework 2 October 7th 04 03:32 PM
quilting for today on topic-off topic-back to on topic (and long) CNYstitcher Quilting 2 August 29th 03 06:28 PM