Redwood Blocks

Old December 11th 04, 08:04 PM
GrexMorgan

Default Redwood Blocks

GrexMorgan Dec 10, 5:25 pm show options
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: "GrexMorgan"
Date: 10 Dec 2004 17:25:56 -0800
Subject: Redwood Blocks
original | Report Abuse

I recently had to replace several hundred fancy cut shingles on my old
Victorian home when I removed a 1920s addition. I had to cut down a lot
of #1 redwood shingles. I'm left with 400 to 600 clear redwood blocks
and about 1000 redwood triangles. The blocks are roughly 5 7/8 inches
square. They are slightly tapered being 3/8 inch thick at one end and
1/2 inch thick at the other end. The triangles are all right triangles
with the right angle being made up of about a 2 inch side and a 1 1/2
inch side. All these measurements are approximate. I used some
home-made jigs to cut the shingles but was not really concerned with
1/4 inch here or there. It is not noticeable 30 feet up on a house in a
sea of octagon shingles.

The blocks have saw marks and some oxidization on some of them. The
shingles were produced in the 50s and the wood is really nice. A little
sanding and they should be fine. I now have tons of old redwood lumber
from the addition I removed and have no use for these. Most of my
projects these days are on a larger scale dealing with the house. I
listed them on Ebay and got no bites and it is kind of a pain in the
butt. If any one is interested make me an offer. Of course, you will be
paying shipping but it shouldn't be too bad. There are 10 or 12
boxes ranging 5 or so pounds each - a guess. There not going any
place soon but I will need to get rid of them in a few months. I
realize this is kind of an obscure offer but if anybody is interested
let me know. Below are some links to the Ebay picks. I was offering
just 60 of them on Ebay to see what would happen.

Also, if you are going to chew my head off for posting an
"advertisement" on the board save your breath. Turst me, this is a one
time posting. Also, I'm probably not going to be rechecking this
message anytime soon so email me if you have any questions.

http://windsweptsoftware.com/ebaypics/blocks1.jpg
http://windsweptsoftware.com/ebaypics/blocks2.jpg
http://windsweptsoftware.com/ebaypics/blocks3.jpg

Greg