Maple Leaf - Revisited

Old July 15th 03, 05:36 PM
Jennifer Hepworth

Default Maple Leaf - Revisited

Mardi, I don't understand why you would now want to put a 1" border
around each block? It seems to me that ending up with a =BD" finished
strip tagged on to each block only looks as though you want to avoid
joining seams where there are points to match. If this is the case,
then you could avoid that by adding a strip of b/g fabric to the top
block of one row and the bottom block of the next - offsetting the
other leafs in the block by the width of the strip you add.
Jennifer in Ottawa

------
Mon, Jul 14, 2003, 7:44pm (EDT+4) From: (M.=A0Wetmore)
Ok, I have pretty much decided to put a 1" border around each block
using the background fabric from the block. Then I will sew everything
together in a "tossed" manner.
I think it will look great, but what I am wondering is if I am creating
a real problem for sewing rows together. If you go to:
http://www.mardiweb.com/quilts/mapleleaf/mapleleaf.html, the second
picture shows the backside. The way the seams are pressed is pretty much
how they have to go. Am I going to end up with bulky seams where the
rows meet at the intersection of each block?
Mardi
Real e-mail address spelled out to prevent spam. mardi at mardiweb dot
com.
____________________
My Quilting page: http://www.mardiweb.com/quilts/MardiQuilts.html Paint
Shop Pro tutorials: http://www.mardiweb.com/web Low-Fat Lifestyle Forum:
http://www.mardiweb.com/lowfat

http://interactive.rogers.com/jennell/Quiltedprojects
http://interactive.rogers.com/jennell/photoalbum

Old July 15th 03, 07:40 PM
Jennifer Hepworth

Mardi, line up 3 of your leaf blocks, for example a-b-c / sew a 2"
strip to the top of block a / line up blocks d-e-f and sew a 2" strip to
the bottom of block f and so on across the width of your quilt.
The block rows + strips are all the same measurement but all your points
and corners are offset.
Jennifer in Ottawa

Tue, Jul 15, 2003, 5:48pm (EDT+4) From: (M.=A0Wetmore)
Actually what I am trying to do is to give them room to "float" on the
quilt. Without the border strips, it looks really choppy. I considered
using one neutral sashing between all the blocks, but I thought that a
border in the same fabric created a sashing that was as varied as the
backgrounds.
I'm not exactly sure what you are suggesting here. Can you explain it a
little further?
Mardi
On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 12:36:39 -0400 (EDT),

(Jennifer Hepworth) wrote:
Mardi, I don't understand why you would now want to put a 1" border
around each block? =A0 It seems to me that ending up with a =BD"