OT - Geese fly west!

Old July 10th 03, 12:41 AM
nzl*

Default OT - Geese fly west!

http://www.patchpieces.com/Flyinggeese.html
HONK HONK!!!!!!!
jeanne*
--
RCTQ Houston 2004 Party Animals
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail....
but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
"Damn...that was fun!"
i'll be there!!! will you???

"Martha in IN" wrote ...
| Would you or Jeanne post those instructions again? I've had major computer
| problems recently and lost all sorts of things. Thanks much. Please,
pretty
| please?
| Martha in IN

---

Old July 10th 03, 12:44 AM
nzl*

HONK HONK!!!!!!!!
just curious...how long did it take to make 210 FG?
could be useful information for those who are still scared to death of them.
no reason, they be so darn easy if ya chain piece them.
jeanne*
--
RCTQ Houston 2004 Party Animals
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail....
but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
"Damn...that was fun!"
i'll be there!!! will you???

"Johanna Gibson" wrote...
| Well I finished 210 Flying Geese last night, the majority of which
| will shortly fly west to Iowa for Kathy Clayton's Flying Geese swap.
| What will the Muggles say when they see such strange things going on?
| There were times when I never wanted to see another Flying Geese
| unit again. Most of the time, I was glad I knew the quick way to do
| it, thanks to Billy Lauder's instructions and nzl*'s url to the
| directions (which I have printed out and tacked onto my bookcase, in a
| place of honour...)
|
| -- Jo in Scotland

---

Old July 10th 03, 04:37 PM
Martha in IN

Thanks Jeanne, now printed and in my notebook.
Martha in IN
"nzl*" wrote in message
http://www.patchpieces.com/Flyinggeese.html
HONK HONK!!!!!!!
jeanne*
--
RCTQ Houston 2004 Party Animals
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail....
but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
"Damn...that was fun!"
i'll be there!!! will you???

"Martha in IN" wrote ...
| Would you or Jeanne post those instructions again? I've had major

computer
| problems recently and lost all sorts of things. Thanks much. Please,
pretty
| please?
| Martha in IN

---

Old July 10th 03, 05:40 PM
Johanna Gibson

1 Thu, 10 Jul 2003 11:44:01 +1200, "nzl*" wrote:

HONK HONK!!!!!!!!
just curious...how long did it take to make 210 FG?
could be useful information for those who are still scared to death of them.
no reason, they be so darn easy if ya chain piece them.
jeanne*

It's hard to say really. One evening I selected all the colors for
the geese and the sky pieces... that took about 30 minutes.
The next evening I cut all the 7 1/4" blocks for the geese and then
strips of 3 7/8" for the sky pieces. I usually cut 2 of the 7 1/4"
blocks in order to make 8 FG units, but a strip 3 7/8" x width of
fabric will yield more than eight 3 7/8" squares. That is fine with
me, since I keep all the leftover 3 7/8" squares and sit down once a
month or so and sew loads of these together 1/4" away from each side
of a diagonal line and make half-square triangles out of them. I have
loads now. So this evening of cutting the fabric I spent perhaps an
hour.
One evening I pinned smaller units to the larger units. That took
about an hour.
Another time, I sewed all those that had been pinned, and pressed
the sky pieces away from the geese pieces. That was about another
hour.
Finally, I sat down and pinned all remaining 3 7/8" sky pieces to
the remaining units, sewed all of them, and pressed all of them. This
last step took about 2 or 3 hours. I think I need more pins in order
to go faster.... I would use all the pins I have, sew units to get the
pins out, and pin some more. Or maybe it would go just as fast if I
had more pins.
Since I'm not working this out in order to get paid, I didn't really
pay strict attention to time. If I were to sit down and spend a day
making over 200 flying geese, I might lose my sanity. I therefore
break these projects up into blocks of an hour or so.

-- Jo in Scotland
Old July 11th 03, 03:31 AM
nzl*

so how many do you plan on making?
as you've read Jo and i now make them in huge quantitys when we got going,
lol.
jeanne*
--
RCTQ Houston 2004 Party Animals
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail....
but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
"Damn...that was fun!"
i'll be there!!! will you???

"Martha in IN" wrote ...
| Thanks Jeanne, now printed and in my notebook.
| Martha in IN

| "nzl*" wrote...
| http://www.patchpieces.com/Flyinggeese.html
| HONK HONK!!!!!!!
| jeanne*
| --

| "Martha in IN" wrote ...
| | Would you or Jeanne post those instructions again? I've had major
| computer | problems recently and lost all sorts of things. Thanks much.
Please, pretty please?
| | Martha in IN

---

Old July 12th 03, 01:54 PM
Pat in Virginia

Jeanne:
Yesterday at guild show and tell I saw a Flying Geese Quilt to
end all FGQ!! Of course I thought of you. It was simply blue
and white ... traditional and lovely. The tiny geese were about
1.5" by about 2.5"... dark blue geese on white b/g. The quilt
maker said there were about 6469 triangles in her quilt ... so
that would be at least 225 geese. They were set so they were
flying north and south and east and west in numerous crossover
pattern, with some squares about 3". (She told us the numbers but
I forget.) She made it several years ago and it took 7 months.
Not only was it hand pieced and hand quilted ... this was the
quilt maker's *first* quilt!
PAT in VA/USA ... neighbor to lots of Canada Geese!

Old July 12th 03, 02:09 PM
nzl*

holy smokes and all by hand, ok, so shes crazier than me bout geese. honk
honk.
mine are all machine made. i only do applique and embroidery by hand, never
machine.
i cant even imagine that many geese all in one place.
is there a pix online anywhere of this quilt?
i'm off to bed now, much past my usual bedtime.
three guesses what i'll be dreaming of now, lol.
thanks Pat.
night night
jeanne*
--
RCTQ Houston 2004 Party Animals
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail....
but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
"Damn...that was fun!"
i'll be there!!! will you???

"Pat in Virginia" wrote ...

Old July 13th 03, 03:02 AM
Sk8eraunt

Are the directions provided in the link easier than using the flying geese
ruler? I'm currently working on a flying geese quilt and am using the flying
geese ruler, but I'm always open to an easier way of doing things!

kaila
Old July 13th 03, 07:48 AM
nzl*

i havent got a clue as i've never done it you're way with the ruler. this is
the only way i will make them now. i just use a regular ruler.
this one has no wastage and at what we pay for fabric in nz i dont waste a
bit.
i find these easy to do in assembly line chain piecing.
i made 150 over a weekend fwiw.
seems jo in scotland beat me and made even more in less time, lol. shes
heaps younger though so those geese were probably better behaved than mine
were, lol.
http://www.patchpieces.com/Flyinggeese.html
no waste method.

http://www.quiltsville.com/Foldy/FoldyFG.html
3D FG, uses a bit more fabric but no diagonal lines to sew and gives a
lovely effect in that special place on any quilt block.
i've made these for trees (added a wee trunk) and also did them in 3D in
this block. http://www.quilterscache.com/A_C/CrabClawsBlock.html
i did have to fiddle the sizes of some pieces to work this block that way
but it turned out really cute, more like real claws, lol.
give it a go see what you think. : )
dont forget pix when you're done, eh.
jeanne*
--
RCTQ Houston 2004 Party Animals
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail....
but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
"Damn...that was fun!"
i'll be there!!! will you???

"Sk8eraunt" wrote ...
| Are the directions provided in the link easier than using the flying geese
| ruler? I'm currently working on a flying geese quilt and am using the
flying
| geese ruler, but I'm always open to an easier way of doing things!
|
| kaila

---

Old July 13th 03, 11:59 PM
Sk8eraunt

i just use a regular ruler. this one has no wastage and at what we pay for
fabric in nz i dont waste a bit.

Oh, good point! When using the flying geese ruler, you do you have to cut off
some of the fabric. I'll try it your way!

kaila

West Coast Studios Tina P Pottery 0 January 3rd 05 11:03 PM
Marlboro $13.95/ Camel $13.95/ West $12.95/ KENT $16.95 with delivery ! galastore Marketplace 0 October 1st 04 07:29 AM
Off to west coast for the weekend Marisa Cappetta Beads 3 January 8th 04 10:47 PM
West Coast Choppers Starla Needlework 5 January 8th 04 08:43 PM
West Virginia Clayers Shannon Polymer Clay 0 October 7th 03 05:02 PM