machine suggestions again (but concrete this time)

Old August 29th 04, 06:17 PM
DrQuilter

Default machine suggestions again (but concrete this time)

I am thinking of trading in my Brother (not my real brother, my machine,
that is). If I do it in a one year frame from the time I bought it I get
the full price I paid back. They also carry Pfaffs in the shop I bought
it from. Now that I've gotten used to something better than a Singer
from the 60s, I know what I want in a new machine:

automatic threader
thread cutter/tie-off
knee lift for the foot
multiple needle positions
automatic 1/4 inch seam allowance (with 'quilting' stitch')
more than a sliding indicator for stitches per inch (numeric would be good)
needle up/down feature

what I don't need:
thousands of different stitches
'fake' quilting stitch
alphabets

Do you guys know of a machine that has the options I want but not all
those extras I don't need and might then be cheaper than a full blown
machine? It would also be nice if it did take my singer/generic feet
(walking, darning). Why don't manufacturers make a real quilting machine
like that and price it at less money?

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out before replying)
Old August 29th 04, 06:42 PM

I do love my Baby Lock. http://www.babylock.com/ NAYY

It does all of your "must do" list. It also has all of your "need not do" list.
The Quilters Choice edition comes with several add ons including a walking
foot. I don't know if Singer feet fit because I sold all my fee with my Singer.

--
Anne in CA
"It's not having what you want; it's wanting what you've got." -- Sheryl Crow

DrQuilter wrote:

[...]

remove NOSPAM to reply
Old August 29th 04, 08:43 PM
Polly Esther

If you have a Pfaff shop nearby that you like well enough, why not call and
tell them what's on your list? They might have just what you want and it is
*very* nice to have a dealer for whatever you choose. I bought my newest
Bernina and my Singer on ebay but that's not for the faint of heart. Polly

Old August 29th 04, 10:58 PM
Teresa in Colorado

Because the things you don't need are not what costs the most.
The things you do want along with the quality you need, cost more. :-)
--
Teresa in Colorado
http://home.comcast.net/~treesaquilt...ome.html-.html

Old August 29th 04, 11:41 PM
KI Graham

yes, they do...I recently bought a Baby Lock Quilters Choice Professional
[it's identical to and manufactured by the same company that makes the
Brother PQ1500S]. If I understood my dealer correctly, the only difference
between the Babylock and the Brother is that the extended table, the walking
foot, and the free motion foot come with the Babylock but they are optional
with the Brother.

This machine has: needle down button; thread cutter; knee lift; numeric dial
for stitches per inch; 1/4 inch foot and indicator on the machine bed.
However, it is a straight-stitch only machine...no zigzag, no fancy
stitches. Because it's straight-stitch only, there is no way to change the
needle position [that would require zig-zag capability]. The HUGE plus: a
much wider and higher arm space [I think about 5" wider, 3" higher] than a
standard machine, and much faster speed for piecing. Cost in Canada:
approximately $1300. Canadian cost of a fairly basic Pfaff or Bernina that
has needle-down capability is more than double that.

I'm not sure you'd want this as your only machine if you ever did garment
sewing [because of no zigzag], but I'm certainly happy with it for piecing/
quilting.
Kim Graham
http://members.shaw.ca/kigraham
Nanaimo, BC, Canada
THE WORD IN PATCHWORK

Old August 29th 04, 11:48 PM

One quirk of the Baby Lock company: the Quilters Choice PROFESSIONAL is a step
*below* the plain ordinary Quilters Choice!

My Baby Lock Quilters Choice (NON-professional LOL) has a digital screen and
button for choosing a huge variety of stitch lengths and widths in two tenths
of an inch increments. There are also oodles of zigzag and fancy stitches. You
can change the top thread tension from the digital screen with buttons too.

--

KI Graham wrote:

yes, they do...I recently bought a Baby Lock Quilters Choice Professional
snipped
However, it is a straight-stitch only machine...no zigzag, no fancy
stitches. Because it's straight-stitch only, there is no way to change the
needle position [that would require zig-zag capability]. more snipped

remove NOSPAM to reply
Old August 29th 04, 11:52 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
Save yourself time and money and get to a good-sized
quilt show where there are lots of vendors including
sewing machine shops. You'll get the chance to test drive
several brands all under one roof without having to settle
just for the one or two brands your local shop carries.
You'll be surrounded by other quilters who will tell you more
about what you're looking at, will point you towards other
features on your want-list, and you'll likely find some good deals/sales.
Plus, there's all the fun of a Quilt Show. ;-P

Good luck!
Ragmop/Sandy--happy with my little Janome Decor Excel
which does exactly what I want it to do (and quietly)

Old August 30th 04, 05:09 AM
muse9

Do you guys know of a machine that has the options I want but not all
those extras I don't need and might then be cheaper than a full blown
machine? It would also be nice if it did take my singer/generic feet
(walking, darning). Why don't manufacturers make a real quilting machine
like that and price it at less money?

--
Dr. Quilter

That is my question exactly: Why don't they make one like you describe at a
lower price? I would like one with the wider spaced opening so a larger
sized quilt can be quilted with it. I fell in love with the top of the line
Janome quilting machine when I saw it but at $1300 I am afraid that is way
out of my price range. I have seen other machines with features I like but
the opening is no larger so quilting larger items would be difficult.

Bonnie
--
http://community.webshots.com/user/bonnied9

delete "removespam" to reply

Old August 30th 04, 04:39 PM
KI Graham

Depends on what you call "below." The Quilters Choice doesn't have the
deeper throat area, faster piecing speed, pin feed, built-in cone stand.
Probably the word "Professional" is the indicator...for people like me who
need to "crank out" a fair number of quilts for samples and class
demonstrations, the Professional works better than the machines with all the
bells and whistles, and it's at a reasonable price. I haven't got the time
or inclination to play with fancy stitches for most of my quilts [and I
don't teach applique.]

Think it all depends on what you need: I was happy to make the trade off to
get the speed and space since I have a perfectly servicable Pfaff [albeit a
30-year-old Pfaff!] that does any of the fancy stuff I might want for my own
quilts. I understand from my dealer that he's selling a lot of these
machines for "second" machines, especially for folks using the handiquilter
kind of rigs for machine quilting.

I agree with the suggestion that a quilt show is a great place to test drive
machines...I looked and looked, tested and tested and just couldn't bring
myself to pay $3000+ Cdn for a machine that did more than I wanted; and
wasn't about to settle for a machine that did less.

Old September 6th 04, 06:13 PM
DrQuilter

Well, if I am going to get the full price I paid for the Brother, I have
to use the same shop. I wonder if this offer applies also if I try to
get a used machine that someone has traded in.... that would be the best
of both worlds.

DrQuilter wrote:

I am thinking of trading in my Brother (not my real brother, my machine,
that is). If I do it in a one year frame from the time I bought it I get
the full price I paid back. They also carry Pfaffs in the shop I bought
it from. Now that I've gotten used to something better than a Singer
from the 60s, I know what I want in a new machine:

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out before replying)

Machine Knitting Patterns! Marge Parker Marketplace 0 October 26th 04 03:09 PM
FAQs for RCTQ Diana Curtis Quilting 17 April 2nd 04 07:59 PM
FAQ RCTQ for newbies and oldtimers alike Diana Curtis Quilting 15 January 11th 04 06:20 PM
Advice needed for foster situation - breeders pls. read LeeAnne Quilting 2 September 13th 03 12:12 AM
Old Sewing Machine Advice Diana Curtis Beads 9 August 22nd 03 06:01 AM