Eyes getting older

Old July 17th 03, 05:09 AM
melinda

Helen Howes wrote:
I didn't even know I was shortsighted till I was 19- just assumed that
the world was meant to be fuzzy. Getting glasses was ruinously bad
for me- I had to give up painting- couldn't deal with the amount of
detail in the world. At that age my usable eyesight finished about 2
inches from the eyeball. Lately I have found, to my horror, that the
bit at bent-arms-length- you know, the bit where the needle is, has
become available without glasses. Unfortunately, the rest of the
world is still missing if I take them off. I thread a needle (hand or
machine) maybe a hundred times a day. Have had to learn to do it by
touch.......
aaaargh!

Helen

I started wearing glasses at 16, eyesight test for learner's permit
showed that I needed glasses. It seems that my eyes have stabilised
a bit in the last few years, but I'll still get them checked out
thouroughly every two years.

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol
Old July 17th 03, 01:26 PM
MB

We used to have a local car mechanic ( owner of the gas station actually )
who
would wear his wife's old glasses...quite a site as they had rhinestones on
the top
of the frames !...Mary

DH has been borrowing mine, which looks pretty funny. They are floral and
he has a very thick dark beard.

Old July 17th 03, 04:28 PM
Pati Cook

I've got a couple of white mats. Love them for the color, but the ones I have
don't seem to "heal" as easily as the others. Dritz also makes a blue mat,
but that is difficult to see blues on. So I have different mats for different
colors. I look for them on clearance and sale to buy and try different ones.

Pati, in Phx

DDM wrote:

The Fiskar's mat is light gray on one side and a darker gray with orange
grid lines on the other. The light gray side is just about the perfect
color for me. Unfortunately it warps like crazy. sigh Does anyone use
the white cutting mats? I don't know a brand name, but I've seen them at
vendor's booths at shows.

Dee in LeRoy, NY

"Jmgreenfld" wrote in message

This is such a great idea! I wonder if there is a company out there that
produces two-color reversible mats? I'd love one! Or two....or one in

each
size!

-JoyceG in WA

It's nice to know those green mats drive someone else nuts, too. For an
industry so affected by contrast, wouldn'tcha think *every* cutting mat
would have a light and a dark side? As for glasses...I hate to think how
much of my life is spent hunting for them. Unlike my car, they're not as
good about showing up when I whistle for them...

Dogmom

Old July 17th 03, 10:30 PM
TerriLee in WA

Almost all my cutting mats are white. The only thing I've noticed that I
don't like is that after years of use, the lines tend to wear off.

DDM wrote:

[...]

TerriLee Bishop
(opinions are wholly owned by the author and don't represent anything)
;-)
my real email is tlbishop at earthlink dot net
Old July 22nd 03, 04:59 PM
Dr. Quilter

hope you are wrong Loren... )
I am the only one in my family, including DH, DM, DB and DF (who is
visiting but has been sick all day yesterday and doesn't look like he
feels much better today ( who does not use glasses regularly.. when I
was writing my thesis my eyes hurt, I was diagnosed with cross-eyedness
(how technical of me) and given glasses which I never wear.. I think I
am almost 20/20....

Loren in Seattle wrote:
It's official, my eyes are starting to go. Trying to trim some HST's for a
friendship block for my guild, I realized that the green fabric is exactly
Olfa green and blends perfectly into my cutting mat. Adding insult to
injury, the finished size of these little guys is 2 1/8". I cannot see the
edge of the fabric under my ruler to save my life. Lucky for me I
remembered I have a June Tailor cut & press which has a gray mat or I would
be doomed.

For all of those who have always had bad vision, and anyone older enough
than me that they are just laughing at my plight, I am sympathetic. I grew
up with pretty good vision and didn't get my first glasses until my late
30's. Now I get to gloat as DH, who has always had better than 20/20 has to
sometimes look for the "sweet spot" to read really small print. Woe to eyes
over 40.
--
Loren in Seattle

--