Ancient jewelry exhibation

Old December 9th 08, 02:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Al Balmer[_2_]

Default Ancient jewelry exhibation

On Mon, 08 Dec 2008 09:01:11 -0800, lemelman
wrote:

Abrasha wrote:

"Simplicity is the most difficult thing to achieve"

Gae Aulenti, architect

Mathematicians call it "elegance".

And, in mathematical terms, Elegance = Beauty/Complexity.

--
Al Balmer
Sun City, AZ
Old December 9th 08, 07:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
mbstevens

wrote:

Abrasha wrote:

"Simplicity is the most difficult thing to achieve"

Gae Aulenti, architect

Mathematicians call it "elegance".

And, in mathematical terms, Elegance = Beauty/Complexity.

I agree with you and Gary
-- about mathematics.

Many schools of visual art,
however, revel in complexity and the
ratio you gave does not apply.
The many traditions that
employ horror vacui are an example. Other
important schools and traditions abhor
the good-art-must-be-difficult philosophy.

The Aulenti quote reminds me of Artforum
magazine theory circa 1960's -- _if_ she actually
intended more than she said. We
didn't get a context with the quote, or a place
we can go to get it. Strong aphorisms that are
meant to apply outside a narrow school are
now in question, and things that are simple
or difficult to make are not necessarily of
good quality.

I like some jewelers whose work has
very simple lines and might be called
minimalist; Dinsmore and Enterline
come to mind, and their work _is_ elegant.
What I definitely don't like is most of
the minimalist crap they sell in the malls.

BTW, we're on the second year of the S.
Airwaves in the U.S. are again
saturated with advertisements
for little 'S's of diamonds by several
manufacturers. I imagine either you or
Gary could come up with a lot better things
to do with diamonds.
--
mbstevens
http://www.mbstevens.com
Old December 9th 08, 04:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Al Balmer[_2_]

On Mon, 08 Dec 2008 22:30:29 -0800, mbstevens
wrote:

Many schools of visual art,
however, revel in complexity and the
ratio you gave does not apply.

Sure it does. Those works may have beauty, but they don't have
elegance. A 177 facet Portuguese cut gem stone may be beautiful, but
Jeff Graham's 41 facet Raja is elegant.

--
Al Balmer
Sun City, AZ
Old December 9th 08, 04:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W. Rowe[_2_]

wrote:

Many schools of visual art,
however, revel in complexity and the
ratio you gave does not apply.

Sure it does. Those works may have beauty, but they don't have
elegance. A 177 facet Portuguese cut gem stone may be beautiful, but
Jeff Graham's 41 facet Raja is elegant.

Seems to me that the basic problem with such statements and formulas is that
beauty and elegance, are subjective values in nature. What is elegant to one,
may be less so to another. Same with beauty. Makes it harder to use math to
try and describe it all... Using math to find a "theory of everything" seems
to be a bit of a stumbling block elsewhere, too... physics, astronomy, quantum
mechanics...

Peter
Old December 10th 08, 04:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Al Balmer[_2_]

wrote:

Many schools of visual art,
however, revel in complexity and the
ratio you gave does not apply.

Sure it does. Those works may have beauty, but they don't have
elegance. A 177 facet Portuguese cut gem stone may be beautiful, but
Jeff Graham's 41 facet Raja is elegant.

Seems to me that the basic problem with such statements and formulas is that
beauty and elegance, are subjective values in nature. What is elegant to one,
may be less so to another. Same with beauty.

Of course, and such things have been philosophized for millennia.
However, I think it's still legitimate to try to qualify the
*relationships* involved, without attempting to quantify anything.

Of course, here we're talking of elegance as an aesthetic value, not
the "She is an elegant lady" meaning.

No absolute answers, but worth discussing.

--
Al Balmer
Sun City, AZ

San Francisco Chronicle, Tuesday, July 15, 1997
http://tinyurl.com/6325la

Design for a Museum
Skylights, piazza in Asian Art's plans

"In Gae Aulenti's dramatic design for the new Asian Art Museum at Civic
Center, the old Main Library has been transformed into an open,
light-filled space. A skylighted piazza wraps around the grand staircase
and loggia of the historic Beaux Arts building.

``We're preserving the building but giving it a new heart,'' said the
Italian architect, who revealed her design for the new Asian yesterday."

"Designing the piazza and galleries, Aulenti was influenced by the
simplicity and purity of Asian art. ``Simplicity is the most difficult
thing to achieve.''"

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Old December 23rd 08, 12:50 PM
danialgome danialgome is offline
Junior Member

Location: USA

its really great event. I will certainly go to have a look for it.
Thanks for sharing this information on this forum.

ancient glass Georgia Beads 2 June 17th 05 03:21 PM
Ancient Inspiration Arondelle Beads 5 January 6th 05 06:00 AM
Ancient Idols in the press... Phoenix Ancient Art Beads 0 December 14th 04 04:08 AM
Ancient Roman 02. Edna von Borstel Marketplace 0 August 27th 04 02:12 AM
ad> 'ancient one' ....tatercat tatercat Beads 0 November 20th 03 03:56 AM