OT - Our Beloved Buffy is gone

Old July 3rd 07, 03:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

Default The Rainbow Bridge/GEM

Here's a link for you. I hope it's the right one:

http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbowb.htm

Love
Shelagh

Old July 3rd 07, 03:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

Default OT - Our Beloved Buffy is gone

On Jul 2, 12:12 pm, "Not Likely" notinthislifetime@yougottabejoking
wrote:
The last time we were at the vet's for shots, she told us that Buffy had a
cancerous tumor in her stomach and that all rules were out the window now...
we should just feed Buffy whatever she wanted whenever she wanted it until
it came the time that she stopped eating completely herself and that would
be the end. Well that time came yesterday!

snip

Awww, Gem, I am so sorry to hear this! I am sure that someone else has
already
given you the URL, but just in case, here it is:
http://rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm
Our Wooly is not her usual self these days. She is developing
cataracts, and now
has full-fledged diabetes, needing two needles every day. I don't know
what I will
do when her time comes.
I will keep you in my prayers.

Higs,
Katherine

Old July 3rd 07, 06:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Christy

I'm sorry for your loss. I lost my Nickolas this past November to heart
disease. It's never easy losing a furry one. But they are never really
gone are they? They remain in our hearts and memories.

Lots of hugs,

Christy

Old July 4th 07, 12:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Laura J

Hi Gem,

I'm not in here much these days but I saw your post and just had to reply.
I am so sorry to hear about Buffy. I know how much she means to you and
Matthew. I still can picture the photo you sent of her in my head. My
thoughts are with you two and Casper too (it must be lonely and confusing
for him).

LauraJ

"Not Likely" notinthislifetime@yougottabejoking wrote in message
The last time we were at the vet's for shots, she told us that Buffy had a
cancerous tumor in her stomach and that all rules were out the window
now... we should just feed Buffy whatever she wanted whenever she wanted
it until it came the time that she stopped eating completely herself and
that would be the end. Well that time came yesterday!

The night before Buffy was in the laundryroom (her domain) and started
crying and standing by the door to go outside. Matthew let her out, and
went out with her for a while before deciding to put her water bowl out
and going to bed himself. She was okay, just quietly wandering around and
not crying anymore. We talked about it and decided that she just wanted
to be outside... she had always been an outdoor dog until she got older
and started wanting to be in the house more. When I looked out in the
morning, Buffy was laying in the middle of the yard, head up and looking
around.... so I let Casper out. When she saw him, she got up and was
happily half-running (something she hadn't done in a long time) along with
him, tail wagging and she had a happy doggy smile on her face (something
else we hadn't seen often over the last couple of weeks).

I waited a couple of hours to let Casper come in and got their food ready.
His was put in it's usual spot in the house, and Buffy's I brought outside
to her along with her pill for arthritis. She was laying down again, and
turned her nose up at the food. She wouldn't take her pill either. I
tried putting it in her mouth and holding her muzzle shut until it was
gone, like the vet had told me to do before if she didn't take it. After
a few minutes, and assuming by now she had swallowed it, I let her go...
she spit it back out. I laid it in her food dish and came in to tell
Matthew so he could try. She wouldn't take it or eat for him either... so
from time to time throughout the day we took turns going out to pat her
and talk to her, and Casper would go out every so often too. However the
last time Casper went out, he wouldn't go anywhere near her... in fact he
stood against the garage wall (she had chosen a spot to lay in the middle
of the yard under the maple trees) looking at her with his head and tail
down, then he turned and came back in the house... even though he hadn't
relieved himself for a few hours.

We had been invited to go to a barbecue/Canada Day celebration with
Bobbie-Jo (a friend of Matthew's who may or may not turn into more than
just a friend, but for now they are just friends) and her family, so we
checked Buffy again before leaving and decided that we really needed to
have a bit of time to enjoy ourselves. Buffy was basically being
unresponsive... just laying there only lifting her head when we would pat
her, and totally refusing to eat. We knew that she would likely not make
it through the night, and sad as it was to lose her, we knew she was
uncomfortable and wanted to die so we did pray for her release. In one
way we wished we had been home with her when the end came, but in another
way we knew that she just wanted to be left to rest and it would have been
heartbreaking for Matthew to watch his first pet die. So after spending
an enjoyable evening with friends, we came home knowing in our hearts what
would meet us. Sure enough... Matthew went to Buffy and she was dead.

We let Casper come out (because he hadn't relieved himself for all those
hours. This time he walked over beside Buffy with his head and tail
lowered, and walked around her completely. Then he went to the back of
the yard to relieve himself and came down to walk close to Buffy one more
time before going to the back door to go inside. Matthew and I went out
again. I sat on the step while he knelt by her side for a few minutes,
patting her and saying goodbye... it was heartbreaking to watch. Then we
put her into a large garbage bag (like the vet had done with my last dog
before Matthew was born) so he can bury her. Because there is no light
back in the corner of the yard where he wants to bury her, he placed her
in the garage overnight until he can dig her grave today.

If anyone knows the url for the (I think it's called...) "Rainbow Bridge"
website (the one with the lovely touching poem about pets waiting on the
other side for us), I would really appreciate having it. I'm sure I have
it somewhere, I just can't think of where it is right now... and I would
love to share it with Matthew.

Buffy's pain is over now, I'm sure she is with St Francis of Assisi and my
Dad (who also cared for animals while living here on Earth) now... and she
is once again able to run and play happily without pain like she used to
in her younger days.

*hugs*
Gemini

Old July 4th 07, 01:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Jan[_2_]

Hi Gemini, I'm sorry to hear that your dear Buffy is gone. Even though I'm
not a dog lover, I felt very sad reading about her death. I'm always
impressed by your descriptive writing.

--
Jan in MN

Old July 4th 07, 05:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

"Laura J" wrote in message news:smBii.4348$4e5.416@trndny07...
Hi Gem,

I'm not in here much these days but I saw your post and just had to reply.
I am so sorry to hear about Buffy. I know how much she means to you and
Matthew. I still can picture the photo you sent of her in my head. My
thoughts are with you two and Casper too (it must be lonely and confusing
for him).

LauraJ

Thank you, Laura! Matthew and I are slowly adjusting, although I have to
admit to finding myself turning on the laundryroom light a couple of times
to check on Buffy like I always used to while passing the door.

Casper seemed a bit lost yesterday and again for most of the day today.
Everytime I let him out he would stop and look back at me as if to say
"Where's Buffy? Why am I out here alone?", so I would go out and walk up the
back yard with him. He walked along slowly and went straight to Buffy's
grave, sniffed it, moved off to the other corner of the yard to relieve
himself and then back to the house to come inside. This afternoon however,
I spotted the Frisbee I had bought at the dollar store a few weeks ago and
took it outside with me. Casper had never seen one of those before, so
after he relieved himself I sent it sailing into the air. His eyes
brightened up and his tail wagged happily and he got a happy puppy smile on
his face again as he ran and jumped to try to catch the Frisbee. He had a
lot of fun and even managed to catch it once, and came very close a few
other times. Later on, when he was going out just before supper, I had
Matthew go out with him and take along the Frisbee. They both had fun
playing and Casper was tired enough to have a nice long nap while we were
eating our supper. *sigh* Life goes on, but Buffy will always be in all
of our hearts!

*hugs*
Gem

Old July 4th 07, 05:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

"Jan" wrote in message
Hi Gemini, I'm sorry to hear that your dear Buffy is gone. Even though
I'm not a dog lover, I felt very sad reading about her death. I'm always
impressed by your descriptive writing.
--
Jan in MN

Thank you, Jan! It does take a bit of getting used to not having a furbaby
around when we are used to seeing her everytime we went by the laundryroom
door into the kitchen. She was deaf during the last year or so, so often
she didn't hear us coming, but when she would see us walking by or looking
over the "gate" at her, her head would come up and her eyes would brighten.

Thank you also for the compliment about my writing.

*hugs*
Gemini

Old July 4th 07, 07:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Not Likely wrote:

Thank you, Laura! Matthew and I are slowly adjusting, although I have to
admit to finding myself turning on the laundryroom light a couple of times
to check on Buffy like I always used to while passing the door.

It's so strange how those things hang around, isn't it? I remember
after our first kitty had congestive heart failure it took me years to
be able to buy clothing made of knits -- Button would just trash
anything knit within 5 minutes of my putting it on. I even got to the
point where I would not even put on hose to go to work ahead of time.
Then I remember during that time when situations came up when I used to
have to explain to people that I didn't wear anything made of knits
because my cat would trash it in 5 minutes, I would start saying that I
couldn't wear any knits because... and then start crying.

When I got to the point that I could comfortably put that in the past,
then I knew it was time for another kitty.

--
Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it. Autograph your
work with excellence.
Old July 4th 07, 10:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Laura J" wrote in message
Hi Gem,

I'm not in here much these days but I saw your post and just had to
reply. I am so sorry to hear about Buffy. I know how much she means to
you and Matthew. I still can picture the photo you sent of her in my
head. My thoughts are with you two and Casper too (it must be lonely and
confusing for him).

LauraJ

Thank you, Laura! Matthew and I are slowly adjusting, although I have to
admit to finding myself turning on the laundryroom light a couple of times
to check on Buffy like I always used to while passing the door.

Although I reckon it's about twenty years since Pippin went we still find
ourselves holding upen a door so that his tail won't be trapped when we
close it.

There's still a cat shaped hole in our hearts and the dog shaped one will
stay in yours for a long time. It's better than forgetting them.

Mary

Old July 4th 07, 06:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" wrote in
message ...
It's so strange how those things hang around, isn't it? I remember after
our first kitty had congestive heart failure it took me years to be able
to buy clothing made of knits -- Button would just trash anything knit
within 5 minutes of my putting it on. I even got to the point where I
would not even put on hose to go to work ahead of time. Then I remember
during that time when situations came up when I used to have to explain to
people that I didn't wear anything made of knits because my cat would
trash it in 5 minutes, I would start saying that I couldn't wear any knits
because... and then start crying.

When I got to the point that I could comfortably put that in the past,
then I knew it was time for another kitty.

I had to stop into the vet's yesterday to pick up a heartworm pill for
Casper and had to say "We only need one... we lost Buffy on Canada Day!" I
choked up, but thankfully a clinic cat leaped up on the counter in front of
me to be patted, and momentarily side-tracked my thoughts while she meowed
at me. I'm not really a cat person... not that I don't like them, I do, I
just prefer dogs... but I like all animals, and they just all seem to know
when someone needs to give them a pat (and for their own benefit too, of
course) to ease their thoughts.

*hugs*
Gemini