[Ganoksin] [Issue #165] Tips From The Jeweler's Bench

Old February 23rd 09, 05:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Limpy[_2_]

Default [Ganoksin] [Issue #165] Tips From The Jeweler's Bench

In this here newsgroup called rec.crafts.jewelry on Fri, 13 Feb 2009
09:16:48 -0800 we all dun see'd a message a-written by Hanuman
which dun sed:

1. What Happens To Pearl Oysters When The World Gets Warmer?
By Suzanne Wade

As the world gets warmer, pearl oysters are on the front lines of
the
ocean's early warning system. Warming waters, changes in weather
patterns, and increases in storm activity may all affect the
future
success of pearl farms, both freshwater and ocean-based.
Precisely
what impact they will have is a little harder to determine:
Relatively little research has been done into oyster
husbandry....

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/sea-change.htm

From the article:

"In March,[2007] the pearl industry responded by drawing up a
resolution during the annual World Jewellery Confederation (CIBJO)
conference supporting the Kyoto Protocol. The Kyoto Protocol is thus
far the world's most important treaty addressing global warming; its
goal is to reduce the carbon emissions thought to be contributing to
the warming trend."

The Kyoto Protocol doesn't punish those nations most responsible for
spewing out the most "greenhouse gases" and instead hopes to punish
mainly the United States for being successful.

The answer to any disruption in business is always to allow the Free
Market to deal with it. As we've seen in the past few years here in
the states, (as our chickens come home to roost,) top-down
micro-management of an economy or of a business always brings
unintended and negative results.

If Climate Change is caused by man (which evidence decidedly says it
is not) punishing the innovators will not correct the problem.

"Building a Better Oyster
The effects of global warming are likely to be gradual, and pearl
growers are optimistic that oysters can be bred to adapt to counter
the environmental changes. Jerry and his colleagues at James Cook
University are working to establish a selective breeding program they
hope will breed oysters that produce higher-quality pearls and are
able to survive under a variety of environmental conditions.

The research is still in the early stages, and data collected has yet
to be analyzed to determine if some oyster "families" survive
environmental stresses better than others. But Jerry is betting the
answer will be yes. "I think there will be oysters which are better
adapted to [changing] conditions and will survive and grow, while
other families will be exterminated. Having that information will
allow us to include it as a breeding objective."

Taylor also notes that pearl growers may also be able to move their
operation to areas newly conducive to pearl farming. "Some areas might
become more appropriate, while some areas might no longer support
[pearl farms]," he says. "As it stands, we structure the program so
that we do certain activities in certain areas where it suits a
particular life stage of the oyster. For example, all our breeding
work is in north Bali, because we've found that site best suits
survival and growth of young oysters. It might be with changing
conditions, areas formerly good for pearl growing might not be so any
more, and we might have to restructure or move entirely."
Old February 23rd 09, 05:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W. Rowe[_2_]

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 08:49:38 -0800, in rec.crafts.jewelry Limpy
wrote:

If Climate Change is caused by man (which evidence decidedly says it
is not) .....

OK, Limpy, was this sentance in the article (you don't enclose it in quotes), or
is it your own comment? If Suzanne wrote it, I'm gonna have to call her on
that. If you wrote it, then back it up. What serious research (NOT an article
in the Onion, or some other journalistic source. I mean serious, peer reviewed
published research) can you quote from, say, the last five years, that supports
this claim? I ask simply because, although there was some question about this,
mostly among the conservative political wing and lobbyists, rather than the
scientific community) ten years ago, by this time, all the research I've seen in
recent years has overwhelmingly supported the influence of mankind on climate
change. So, can you back up this statement, or is it simply your wishful
thinking?

Peter
Old February 24th 09, 03:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Don T

wrote:

[...]

If you take the time to follow the links from this page:

http://www.kusi.com/weather/colemans.../11159136.html

You will find the information you demand. In spades. Just because the press
claims consensus, or because Al Bore claims the debate is over, does not
mean it is true. Hell, even the UN "report" says Al Bore is full of ****.

Keep an open mind friend Peter. The links lead to a lot of time consuming
pages but you have to read them. I have a friend, a PhD Physicist and
"perfesser" at a Michigan university, who tells me that the Solar cycle has
more to do with the climate changes than anthropogenic CO2. That emissions
from Volcanic activity are more significant, and that all the charts and
diagrams of the enviro lobby are misleading because they leave out the most
important "greenhouse gas" of all, water vapor. The climate of this planet
has been changing since the planet formed from the void. Is it even
reasonable to expect it not to continue changing? Is it reasonable to blame
human activity over the last 1 or 2 hundred years for something that has
happened many times in the past? Was the Medieval Ideal ( a time when the
climate of Earth was far warmer than today) caused by man? Was the Little
Ice Age ( a time when the Thames froze every winter ) caused by man? Is the
fact that the planet has cooled every year for the last 5 ( actually more
than 5 ) why the enviro's have changed their rhetoric from " Global Warming
" to " Climate Change " ?

If past events are not taught to students does that mean they never took
place?

--

Don Thompson

Stolen from Dan: "Just thinking, besides, I watched 2 dogs mating once,
and that makes me an expert. "

There is nothing more frightening than active ignorance.
~Goethe

It is a worthy thing to fight for one's freedom;
it is another sight finer to fight for another man's.
~Mark Twain