OTish: straw plaiting

Old February 28th 09, 05:37 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.crafts.misc
N_Cook

Default OTish: straw plaiting

I sometimes plait very fine enamelled wire together for awkward bits of
signal ribbon connector that have to flex at a hinge or similar, but have
only used 3 way plaiting, which does not retain a flat aspect well. Dividing
the total number of wires into 3 or so and then plaiting. I recently watched
a TV heritage programme where someone was multi-plaiting straw, producing a
broader ribbon. Anyone ever use 3 ply plaits or ever tried wider plaiting,
for electronic kit repair purposes? Dividing into 13 would lead to a much
flatter wiring ribbon . Shame the below is OCR'd text only , without the
pics. The only source of the technique I could find is the below, anyone
know where there is a more visual guide?

http://www.archive.org/stream/cyclop...02tomlrich_djv
u.txt

The
straw of Tuscany, however, maintained its repute,
and was plaited by our workpeople after the Italian
method. This consists in first carefully sorting the
straws as to colour and thickness, then selecting a
certain number, frequently thirteen, and tying them
together at one end. They are then divided into two
portions, six straws being turned towards the left
side, and seven to the right, so that the two portions
of straw are at right angles to each other. The
seventh, or outermost straw, on the right hand, is
then turned down by the finger and thumb, and
brought under two straws, over two, and under tvro.
There are now seven straws on the left, and six on the
right, therefore the outermost of the left hand straws
is now to be turned down, and passed under two,
over two, and under two again. The plaiting is con-
tinued in this way, alternately doubling and plaiting
the outermost seventh straw from side to side, until
it is used up. Another straw is then put in under
the short end, in the middle of the plait, and by the
crossing of the other straws over and under it, the
fastening of it becomes secure. This kind of plait,
shown in Fig. 1133, of about double the real size, is
formed in pieces of great length, which are adjusted
according to the Italian method, in spiral coils, to
form large flats, as they are called, the edges being
adroitly knitted together in the manner shown in
Fig. 1134, which gives the plait, for the sake of dis-
Ftq. 1134.
tinctness, nearly four times larger than the real plait.
The dotted lines show how far the angular folds or
eyes of one piece are inserted into those of the ad-
joining piece. The thread which is run straight along
in the interior is entirely concealed, and the join can
only be detected by the slightly increased thickness
of the plait. The best plaiters use the second finger
with their thumb at their work, thus leaving the first
finger free to turn the straws.

Old March 1st 09, 09:21 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.crafts.misc
N_Cook

perhaps 7 way plaiting makes more sense than attempting 13 way

http://www.strawcraftsmen.co.uk/project10.php
http://www.strawcraftsmen.co.uk/pdf/...flat_plait.pdf

so for a 21 wire ribbon , a matter of threading 3 wires in each of 7 thin
temporary sleeving to do the plaiting an inch or so, and sliding forward the
sleeving, perhaps. Or perhaps just 7 small sliding rings of sleeving, and
advance them, just ahead of the plaiting.

Old March 1st 09, 02:08 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.crafts.misc
Ron[_5_]

N_Cook wrote:
[...]

That`s perhaps something you might try asking in uk.rec.sheds
Old March 1st 09, 08:28 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.crafts.misc
Joy Beeson

I haven't a clue about plaiting straw, but one of the plaits used by
bobbin lacers might also serve to control fine wires -- you can make
any number of wires into a wide plait of the same sort as the
three-plait you are familiar with.

I've never done wire lace myself, and only the first tentative steps
in thread lace, but I *think* I remember what "cross" and "twist" mean
well enough to explain how:

The beginning ends of the wires should be anchored in some way.

I am presuming that you don't want to wind the wires onto bobbins,
which would allow you to handle four wires at a time.

Pick up the two outside wires at one side and lift the right-hand wire
over the left-hand wire. Pull gently to make the twist run up to
where you want it to be. Pick up the next two wires, twist them like
the first pair, continue across.

If there is an odd wire left over, pick it up together with the
outermost of the wires that have been twisted. Lift the left-hand
wire over the right-hand wire, pull gently so that the cross runs up
to where you want it to be. Cross each pair of wires until you get
back to where you started.

If there was an even number of wires (there always is in bobbin lace,
as bobbins are used in pairs), set aside the first wire and cross the
next two, continue crossing until you get back to the beginning.

In either case, there should be an odd wire left over when you get
back to the start. Pick it up together with the last wire that you
crossed. Twist back to where you started crossing.

Etc.

Joy Beeson
--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://roughsewing.home.comcast.net/ -- sewing
Old March 2nd 09, 08:51 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.crafts.misc
N_Cook

Joy Beeson wrote in message

[...]

Another potential use for Dunstable or Tuscan plait is making up flat but
thin rubber drive belts for certain types of equipment. The flat belts
available are either too long (vinyl decks) or too thick (unless the length
is just right , the tension in the band overloads the low rev motors).
But using 7 strands of 1mm rubber cord plaited together may just work. I've
previously tried 3-ply plaiting of 3 flats of 3ply plait but it was only
just about useable. So is it possible to make a flat ring by returning the
end to the start ?
Yesterday I contacted strawcraftsmen.co.uk and someone there emailed back to
confirm that it was possible. At the moment I'm practising DP with 7 lengths
of rubber cord. At least with this use it is possible to knot the returns on
the non-active face of the flat, the "men of straw" doing it means a slight
staggered lumpiness in the area of the join , because of overlapping.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Old March 2nd 09, 09:14 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.crafts.misc
David Nebenzahl

On 3/1/2009 11:51 PM N_Cook spake thus:

Another potential use for Dunstable or Tuscan plait is making up flat but
thin rubber drive belts for certain types of equipment. The flat belts
available are either too long (vinyl decks) or too thick (unless the length
is just right , the tension in the band overloads the low rev motors).
But using 7 strands of 1mm rubber cord plaited together may just work. I've
previously tried 3-ply plaiting of 3 flats of 3ply plait but it was only
just about useable. So is it possible to make a flat ring by returning the
end to the start ?

You're talking about *making* a belt for a turntable by plaiting rubber
strands? Do I understand you correctly?

You're nuts, man. Bonkers. All that diddling around with cobbling and
jury-rigging stuff has left you a little soft in the head.

Now, I'll admit when I was a kid (early 20s), I did once have a
belt-drive turntable that was missing a belt, and I used to make belts
out of paper strips glued at the ends. Worked well, but didn't last too
long, as you might imagine. But I was young and broke. Presumably you
*could* find the proper belt for that turntable if you looked in the
right places ...

--
Any system of knowledge that is capable of listing films in order
of use of the word "****" is incapable of writing a good summary

- Matthew White, referring to Wikipedia on his WikiWatch site
(http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)
Old March 2nd 09, 09:28 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.crafts.misc
N_Cook

David Nebenzahl wrote in message
.com...
[...]

You missed the point. There are plenty of thin and flat belts available for
record decks but not for other kit that uses low rpm motors and smaller but
flat belts. If they are too thick , they have to be accurate , in length, to
about 5mm.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Old March 3rd 09, 08:45 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.crafts.misc
David Nebenzahl

On 3/2/2009 12:28 AM N_Cook spake thus:

[...]

OK, I'll play along he So what do you plan to do to join the ends of
these belts? I can't see any way in hell to do it without creating an
ugly and disruptive bump that will surely play havoc with any kind of
smooth operation here. What, do you plan on melting the ends together or
something?

Old March 3rd 09, 11:17 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.crafts.misc
N_Cook

David Nebenzahl wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

I thought that may be the easy bit. A 1/2 inch diam baluster pulley as
driver and a driven flywheel, 2 pulleys only, so 7 staggered joins on the
non-active face , knots possible, unlike straw. It is quite easy ,
practising with 7 drinking straws but 1mm diameter rubber cord is quite
another matter. I will try a piece of metal tube squashed to something like
7x1mm to keep the completed section in place, or perhaps pins like lace
making or french knitting but holding in fingers is impossible , like
knitting cooked spaghetti

Remember the theory of drive bands is that the tension in the band is the
same throughout, even if one bit is a cross-section or something, for square
or round section belts anyway. Not sure about baluster bulbous drive pulleys
though.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Old March 3rd 09, 11:20 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.crafts.misc
N_Cook

for "cross-section " should be "different cross-section "

Linda Straw [email protected] Quilting 3 August 25th 06 12:27 AM
straw work romanyroamer Sewing 0 January 2nd 06 02:13 PM
Straw crafts Its me from.... General Crafting 0 December 27th 05 02:46 AM
OTish: Filtering in Agent Seanette Blaylock Needlework 7 May 3rd 05 12:50 AM
Linda Straw spam blocked Quilting 1 January 2nd 05 05:17 PM