cold dopping

Old June 16th 05, 02:21 AM
Ted Gittinger

Default cold dopping

I am interested in knowing of any cold-dopping methods that have been found
to work well, especially for opals. Will Epoxy work, following by
dissolving the glue using Attack or some other solvent?

Regards,

Ted Gittinger

Old June 16th 05, 10:09 AM
Ted Frater

Ted Gittinger wrote:
I am interested in knowing of any cold-dopping methods that have been found
to work well, especially for opals. Will Epoxy work, following by
dissolving the glue using Attack or some other solvent?

Regards,

Ted Gittinger

I dont know about hot dopping but I do know about 2 part epoxy.
If I wanted an answer like yourself, Id just go adead and try it on
any stone that you can afford to screw up.
Certainly epoxy will hold the stone well.
you then need to try out the "attack" solvent. As you rightly surmise
if you cant get the stone out of the epoxy unless you use a hammer then
your in trouble!
We have the erquivalent here under another name.
works well.
However, the hot process of dopping seems to me the preferred way to
go as its quick, whereas 2 part epoxy ,unless youve the 5 min setting
time type will be too slow for the professional stone cutter.
Just as few thoughts over my morning coffee.
Old June 17th 05, 03:11 AM
Don T

Ted,

For Opal I use an adhesive called "GOOP" that is available at your friendly
local Ace Hardware store. It sets up with a "rubbery" consistency and all it
takes to remove it, from the stone and the stick, is a razor knife. I don't
like to use harsh solvents like Attack on Opal, perhaps just a prejudice.
The back of your Opal should be flat and finished to 400 grit, clean and
dry, to use the GOOP. I dip the dop in GOOP and press it firmly to the Opal.
Hold for a few minutes then set aside for 24 hours to fully set up. I have a
drilled block that I place the dopped stones in to set.

Yeah, yeah. I know. Production shops don't use slow setting adhesives much
but if a guy dops a dozen or so stones with GOOP and another dozen or so
stones with Epoxy and compares results I believe he will find that the GOOP
gives a safer bond. The GOOP will warn you if you are heating the stone too
much during the final couple of polishing steps because heat softens it
enough to allow the stone to move. If your GOOPed Opal moves, you are
getting it too hot for comfort. Heat kills more Opals in the cutting than
any other cause (except out of round wheels that slap the Opal to death).

--

Don Thompson

Remmy sez,
Count de Monet.
Unless, of course, you are Baroque.

Old June 17th 05, 03:12 AM
Séimí mac Liam

"Ted Gittinger" wrote in
:

I am interested in knowing of any cold-dopping methods that have been
found to work well, especially for opals. Will Epoxy work, following by
dissolving the glue using Attack or some other solvent?

Regards,

Ted Gittinger

I'd be nervous using super glue or epoxy on an opal, if by opal you mean
gem opal as opposed to fire or Mexican opal. For other less delicate
stones you can use two-part epoxy. Use a filler in the epoxy(cornstarch
works well if it's fresh). Then you can use water as the solvent. I have
also heated the dop to pop the stone off. My favorite, though is super
glue gel. Again, I use heat to remove the stone from the dop. You could
try either of those methods on a piece of low quality opal rough to see
what effect they have on the opal.

--
Saint Séimí mac Liam
Carriagemaker to the court of Queen Maeve

Old June 18th 05, 02:08 AM
Charlie Leo

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 01:21:11 GMT, "Ted Gittinger"
wrote:

I am interested in knowing of any cold-dopping methods that have been found
to work well, especially for opals. Will Epoxy work, following by
dissolving the glue using Attack or some other solvent?

Regards,

Ted Gittinger

I've used epoxy for dopping and Attack for removal with no problems or
damage to opals. It was scary at first, but it works very well.
However, I'm going to try Goop for my next one.

Charlie Leo

Old June 18th 05, 02:08 AM
Richard Friesen

In article ,
"Don T" wrote:

"Ted Gittinger" wrote in message
I am interested in knowing of any cold-dopping methods that have been found
to work well, especially for opals. Will Epoxy work, following by
dissolving the glue using Attack or some other solvent?

Regards,

Ted Gittinger

I have had no problem releasing epoxy from opals with acetone.

Another trick if you use dop wax and have a problem with stones popping
off: put a drop of super glue on top of the wax still on the dop stick
and put the stone back on, hold for a few seconds, and finish working
it. It will release with whatever method you normally use to get the
stone off. The dop wax will normally release from the glue leaving it on
the stone. I just scrape it off the stone with a knife.

Old June 25th 05, 03:40 AM
MetalClayGroup

Ted,

I use my fingers to hold opals as much as possible. I can hold some
pretty tiny stones with my small fingers. I know the risks involved,
but I rarely loose one. I do a lot of koroit and boulder so those are
easy to hold to, but I can easily hold a crystal opal around 20 carats.
When I do need to dop, I use E6000, which is the same stuff as Goop as
somebody else mentioned. I use golf tee's for dop sticks and have no
problem tearing the opal off the E6000 when I'm done.

Kind regards,

Mardel Rein
www.cooltools.us

Old July 3rd 05, 10:05 AM
Rick Cook

Ted Gittinger wrote:
I am interested in knowing of any cold-dopping methods that have been found
to work well, especially for opals. Will Epoxy work, following by
dissolving the glue using Attack or some other solvent?

Regards,

Ted Gittinger

Super Glue -- dissolved by acetone. It's my standard and it doesn't seem
to hurt opal.

--RC