OT Read your bill

Old January 3rd 07, 05:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

Default OT Read your bill

If you do online shopping, pay very close attention to your bill. I just
took a hit for $1,200 worth of software. Me? Yeah, right . . . I'm the one
who's still learning to take pictures of my thumb with the telephone. What
on earth would I do with a $1,200 software package? Fortunately, my nice
credit card company also knew that such a purchase was highly unlikely and
slammed the credit card account shut. Unfortunately, I had ordered a
beautiful navy blue dress that was 70% off. Now it's no longer available.
(sigh). Read your bills very carefully. Polly

Old January 3rd 07, 06:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Melissa in NJ

Several years back I didn't pay much attention to my statements. I just
spent less money than I brought in. It was going into Christmas time. I
was purchasing like crazy and was accustomed to living on very little
after all the purchasing. Then came January and I was paying bills off
from Christmas...so still used to having not too much money. Then
February. All bills paid...WHY did I have so little money in my
account?!?! Well, after reviewing my account from Late November through
to February I had very very small charges on my account for online
porn. CHarges like $4.99, $1.99, $3.99. Amounts that while shopping and
bill paying I never noticed missing because I didn't look at my
statements and didn't balance my checkbook. Well it snowballed and
snowballed until I was getting socked with tons of little charges that
all ultimately totalled a little over $2000!!!!!!! I can tell you with
like nine million phone calls and a lot of pretty funny phone
converstaions about online porn site I HAD NOT visited (imagine two
serious adults listing off fetish porn site names) I did manage to get
every single penny back between financial processors and my bank. I
then bought a sewing machine with my "forced savings"!!!!

Moral of the story is I now log into my bank account once a day and
check my accounts.

Melissa in NJ

Old January 3rd 07, 11:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Torrens

I check my credit card website almost every day. Since we are south for the
winter, I use my card to order lots of quilty things online, as well as for
everyday items. BUT, I never spend more than I can afford to pay at month
end. I have caught a couple of double charges at hotels, etc., and although
they are a PITA to deal with, I have always managed to get the charges
reversed.

--
Susan in Zephyrhills FL
finally back to quilting
ups.com...

Old January 4th 07, 02:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carolyn McCarty

So sorry, Polly! I do indeed watch very carefully. And the only card I use
online is my Citi card, which generates a fake credit card number (good for
one purchase at that merchant only) for each purchase, so my real Citicard
number never gets out of the house. It's probably the only thing that makes
me feel safe ordering online. Even the most reliable merchants can get a
rat on staff.

Glad your card company was so prompt about the theft. That's a real
comfort!

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

Old January 4th 07, 03:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

Well sure anyone can get a rat on staff. I even hired one myself one time.
She had an awesome resume and a fine education. One evening early on, I
asked her to help me change the time on the office computers. This was back
in the DOS days. She was without a clue. It caused me to wonder what else
was a lie. Most of it. Polly

Old January 4th 07, 03:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tia Mary

Polly Esther wrote:

If you do online shopping, pay very close attention to your bill. I just
took a hit for $1,200 worth of software. ........ Fortunately, my nice
credit card company also knew that such a purchase was highly unlikely and
slammed the credit card account shut. ....... Polly

This reminded me about something similar that happened to me when my
DBro passed away in Los Angeles four ago on Valentines Day. My DSis
Betsy (who lives in Austin, TX) and I (I'm in No. GA) went to take care
of "things" since Papa wasn't up to it. We made arrangements for Mike's
cremation using an old friend of his who happened to run his own
mortuary. Betsy drove to downtown L.A. (we were staying with cousins in
Anaheim) to take care of paperwork while I dealt with phone calls, etc.
I gave Betsy my AmEx card number since the receptionist at the
mortuary had told me on the phone that they took AmEx (frequent flyer
miles and all that -- LOL). When Betsy got there, Mike's friend told
her that they didn't take AmEx so she phoned me and I gave her my
MasterCard number. I get another call from Betsy a few minutes later
telling me that the MC number won't go through and the mortuary guy had
even personally phoned the charge request in after trying --
unsuccessfully -- to swipe the card several times! I told him there was
NO balance on the card so it should have been OK and said I would
contact MC first thing the next morning because by now their offices
were closed.
I called MC first thing the next morning -- early because we were
leaving town ASAP to drive back to Lizard Land. I finally managed to
get a live person on the phone -- even one who spoke English as his
native language!! Seems that they had not honored the original request
AND put a hold on my account because it seemed like a strange purchase
by me. I assured the guy that I was me (I answered all those odd
questions correctly) and I was trying to pay to have my recently DEAD
DBro cremated!!! The poor guy at MC was tripping over his words
apologizing to me and telling me that trying to charge bogus funeral
stuff was not unusual for LaLa Land. He also said he would honor the
original charge request and reactivate my card so that I could use it if
need be whilst driving across the lovely SoCal/AZ desert 8-P******.
I told the poor young man that I understood, didn't blame anyone for
the SNAFU and made mention of the fact that I was sure Mike was having a
good laugh over the whole thing from wherever "he" happened to be at
that time :-)! CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary
Old January 4th 07, 04:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

Mary wrote: The poor guy at MC was tripping over his words
apologizing to me and telling me that trying to charge bogus funeral
stuff was not unusual for LaLa Land.
You're kidding, right? No, I guess you're not. Don't you just know
that the guys at Master Charge have seen some really strange charges? Polly

Old January 4th 07, 04:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

I have a VISA debit card, and I don't use it all that much.
So if I happen to "hit the sales" on the Internet and run up
charges on US sites I usually get a very polite call from my
credit union (sometimes within 30 minutes!) asking if I am
home or in the US, because of the unusual activity. I find
that kind of reassuring.

Last time I laughed and explained that I was a quilter and
that all the charges should be on quilt stores. The lady on
the other end of the line came out with . . . . . . . yep,
you guessed it - "Oh I'm a quilter too!" We had a nice chat
and I recommended a couple of sites that were new to her.
lol

Lets face it - some quilt stores do have "unusual" names!

--

Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
o o o o o o

Old January 4th 07, 04:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry Starr

I always check my bill very carefully, and match it with my credit card
receipts, but sometimes "stuff" happens. We were on a trip one time, and
had bought gas, and the service station attendant ran it through 4 times!
We only had to pay for the 1 gas purchase. I do get irritated when the
credit card company calls me, and have me listen to a long list of charges
to confirm that I have actually made them. We just came back from a 12 day
trip to New Mexico, and I kept telling DH that I bet Mastercard would be
calling to make sure it was us. No calls, but let me use it 3 or 4 times in
one day at home, and they call every time! Discover card did call me one
time to tell me that someone had tried to purchase 2 computers, and 4 Dooney
& Burke bags with my card. They didn't authorize any of them, and they sent
us new Discover cards. It does pay to be careful.

Sherry Starr

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
If you do online shopping, pay very close attention to your bill. I just
took a hit for $1,200 worth of software. Me? Yeah, right . . . I'm the
one who's still learning to take pictures of my thumb with the telephone.
What on earth would I do with a $1,200 software package? Fortunately, my
nice credit card company also knew that such a purchase was highly
unlikely and slammed the credit card account shut. Unfortunately, I had
ordered a beautiful navy blue dress that was 70% off. Now it's no longer
available. (sigh). Read your bills very carefully. Polly

To read or not to read ... that is the question. Pat in Virginia Quilting 7 September 8th 06 12:31 PM
OT - good read Cheryl Isaak Needlework 5 July 19th 06 09:14 AM
PillowFight4Cancer/A must read pami Quilting 7 May 16th 06 06:05 PM
Read This Quick !!!!! rainbow Beads 4 August 7th 03 01:08 AM