Log Cabin Q.

Old June 26th 08, 08:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

Default Log Cabin Q.

I've never made one! Now I want to make use of my scraps and try to
turn out a whole quilt with
them I think I can pull this off.

My question is, the first pattern I made a sample square was one that
asked for 1.5" wide strips.
The second was Eleanor Burns', which asks for 2.5-inch wide strips.
Like the little girl in The
Three Bears, I thought the first pattern strips were "just too
narrow." The second was "just too wide."

Can I ask, what widths have you all used for Log Cabin? Have you seen
a pattern for 2" or 1.75"
wide strips?

Many thanks, (again!)

Sherry
Old June 26th 08, 08:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jennellh

Sherry, the strips can be any width that you want them to be! The
narrower the strip to make the block = the more fabrics used.....it
really is up to you. Any combination of strip widths/colours/tones/
younameit will work - especially important when you want to work with
scraps. It is usually more important to have the centre square the
same colour/size than any of the rest of the block. When you work
with various widths - it is a good idea to use the same measurements
for all the blocks on corresponding sides so that the blocks end up
being the same size. It is also possible to end up with curved log
cabin designs by using narrower strips on 2 sides of the centre square
- it all depends on the effect that you want to finish with. Mary
Ellen Hopkins decided once that she wanted to make a red log cabin
quilt - she did - she used every single red and shade of red that she
could possibly lay her hands on at the time including the orange ones
and pink ones and purple/brown ones. She has always said though that
she likes 1.5" strips so that she can use more fabrics.
Layouts for log cabins are numerous and can be decided when you have a
certain number of blocks for the look that appeals to you the most.
Any pattern for a quilt layout using log cabin blocks can be
duplicated using any size of strips - the end result is a difference
in the finished size of the quilt. The narrower the logs = the more
blocks required to make a full-sized quilt (or more logs per
block)....jennellh

Old June 26th 08, 09:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

if ya use two different widths, narrow on two adjacent sides
and wider on the other two adjacent sides you'll get a
curved effect with the blocks.
put for of those together and you'll have bubbles.
sorry, just got here, too foggy still to do any better.
there are websites for this tho.
someone else no doubt can find one better than i can atm.
groggy and soggy in the south pacific,
j.

"jennellh" wrote...

Old June 26th 08, 09:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
allisonh

This is one of my favorite blocks and it looks great with lots of
different fabrics - so scraps are great.
Playing with the settings for the blocks is fun too. If you have an
even number of blocks (vertical and horizontal) you can do symmetrical
settings like "barn rising". But if you use an odd number of blocks you
can get interesting asymmetrical settings. There was an article on this
in QNM a few years back and I actually made a quilt with an asymmetrical
setting - sorry I don't have a picture handy to link to though.

From a distance a log cabin block looks like a HST - so any setting
that looks good for HST can be used. Makes things easier at the design
stage!

Allison

Old June 26th 08, 10:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati C.

Sherry, log cabins can be made with any width strip. The strips don't
have to be the same width even. You can also do "wonky" log cabins with
uneven width strips/wedges. G The final size of the block will
influence the size of the logs, too.
There are several books available with log cabin ideas, off the top of
my head:
Flavin Glover has one that is "New Look at Log Cabin Quilts".
Judy Martin has a new one that is "Judy Martin's Log Cabin Quilt Book".
"Log Cabin Quilts" by Rita Weiss and Linda Causee has a quilt by Flavin
Glover on the cover. (Different ways to use log cabins with/in other
blocks too.)
There are lots more as well as log cabin and its variations in many
other, more general quilting books.

Have fun,
Pati, in Phx

Old June 27th 08, 02:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AliceW

Your question was well timed. I just pulled out my bin of greens and
ecru/beiges to make a king sized bed quilt. I also thought 2.5" was too
wide and I was starting to plan out using 2" strips and burgundy center
squares.

Have fun making yours! It will be wonderful no matter what size strips you
use!

AliceW in NJ
"I like me how I am"
as said by my 3 year old grandson when asked
why he doesn't want to turn 4.

:

Old June 27th 08, 03:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

There are 2 ways to stitch Log Cabin blocks. Actually, there are probably
72 ways - but what I mean is this. You can chain sew and put one block
after another on a long strip. When all are done, you simply trim them to
size. I didn't do so well with that method and much prefer cutting each log
to size.
It's really easy to wander off a perfect seam allowance and/or trimming
session and turn out blocks that are all sorts of strange sizes. My first LC
was with strips 2¼" but I used the chain method. Not terribly wonky and
that's a very good size.
Do remember to check your bobbin before starting a long session. Polly

. ..

Old June 27th 08, 05:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lenore L

Sherry,

There is no hard and fast rule about widths. I've done them from all sorts
of widths and they all work.......

Happy quilting,

Lenore

Old June 27th 08, 02:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

You may use any size you like! You may even combine different sizes -look
for some other LC books to see special effects when the strip width changes.
You may put your starting square in one corner and build out on 2 sides. You
may even use a triangle or diamond for the base -it's infinitely flexible.

The trick is to square up your blocks after every round. Even experienced
piecers sometimes end up with different-sized squares, and checking often
will save you grief later. You may sew strips on thier own, sew on a
foundation, or even sew directly to a square of backing and batting for a
pre-quilted block. (Then assemble with quilt-as-you-go technique.)

But to answer your question, my own LC blocks have used widths as narrow as
1" and as wide as 2.5". IMO the wider strips would fit the proportions of a
12-16" block. The narrower ones look better in small blocks.
Roberta in D

Log Cabin Blues lisa skeen Quilting 14 January 26th 06 04:12 PM
Twisted Log Cabin Jan Quilting 22 October 29th 05 04:18 PM
Log Cabin - first block ever Morag in Oxford Quilting 49 October 26th 05 10:14 AM
log cabin question Elizabeth Young Quilting 21 September 22nd 03 04:17 AM