what fabric test?

Old June 26th 08, 06:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lobo

Default what fabric test?

I picked up some fabric at a thrift shop today that I think might be raw
silk. I know the burn test for cotton and polyester ... is there one (or
something) for silk? TIA.
Lobo

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Delete the obvious to reply to me personally.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old June 26th 08, 10:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Don't know, but if it isn't synthetic, it's most likely silk. Find a piece
you know is silk and press with a really hot iron. Sniff -there's a
characteristic scent. A bit like wool -they are both protein fibers. Then
try your unknown fabric. (If you press with a really hot iron and it's poly,
it will stink of plastic and likely stick to the iron :-)
Roberta in D

. ..

Old June 26th 08, 11:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jeri

Lobo wrote:
I picked up some fabric at a thrift shop today that I think might be
raw silk. I know the burn test for cotton and polyester ... is there
one (or something) for silk? TIA.
Lobo

Here's a site that gives descriptions for identification of different fibers
using the burn test.

http://www.fabrics.net/fabricsr.asp
--
Jeri
"You can complain because roses have thorns, or you can rejoice because

Old June 26th 08, 03:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati C.

Cut a small sliver of the fabric and put it in a small dish with some
bleach. Silk and wool do not like bleach and will dissolve/get "mucky"
in it.
Same thing happens with enzyme cleaners (like Biz or Oxyclean) which
work on proteins to get the stains out. G

Pati, in Phx

Old June 26th 08, 07:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati C.

I can't remember.... will have to go find the text book from on of my
textiles classes. G But you should be able to tell a bit in 10-15
minutes or so. If you check the bleach bottle/Oxyclean or Biz box they
warn you about using it on wool or silk.
(yes I read most anything if I need something to read. VBG )

Pati, in Phx

Old June 27th 08, 02:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

It happens occasionally that something sílk or wool gets washed in the wrong
stuff (DH's wool socks being a prime example), and a single trip through the
machine cycle doesn't make any immediately-apparent difference. I ask myself
sometimes whether the socks would hold up longer if somebody took more
trouble washing them.