Why attend a Quilting Retreat?

Old March 13th 07, 10:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

Default Why attend a Quilting Retreat?

I've never been on a quilting retreat, but from what I've read here it
sounds as if you pack up your sewing stuff and lug it all out the
house to go sit in a motel room and sew next to the stranger that is
sharing your room, and at regular intervals you stop sewing and leave
the room to go eat meals with more strangers.

I must be missing something because I just don't see why I would go to
one when it would be much easier and less costly to sew at home. So,
can someone let me in on the secret allure of the quilting retreat?
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old March 13th 07, 10:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Estelle Gallagher

I love the retreats I've been on, but maybe its because I dont go with
strangers,only the gals from our PQ club, and I dont hear ,whens dinner
ready? or were's me shirt for a whole long weekend! lol
--
Estelle UK
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gal.../ph//my_photos

Old March 13th 07, 10:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marcella Peek

I've been on a variety of quilt retreats but none of them involved
sewing in my hotel room with a stranger.

I have been at one where we sewed in a large conference type room all
together. That was actually more fun than I thought. Lots of show and
tell, lots of sharing, opinions expressed, ideas abounding.

No phones ringing, no dishes to do, no laundry to flip, no family to
entertain or feed or converse with. Just uninterrupted time to sew with
people who love it too.

I have always attended with at least one person I know - though at ones
where classes are offered I wasn't always in class with said friend.

marcella

Old March 13th 07, 10:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I always considered myself a solitary quilter. I joined the sewing
guild and then my quilt guild. It is really different sewing with
other folks. I still like sewing on my own but taking a class here
and there is fun. Day classes locally is a good way to see if you can
organize yourself to get out and sew with others. It took more than a
few classes and sit and sew meetings until I could really enjoy the
time. You really do learn what to take and how to schlep.
Most quilters aren't strangers for long after they get chatting and
sewing together. Most go with a friend they already know. I really
don't much do retreats but after DH retires I might change that.
Taria

Old March 13th 07, 10:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

The first time I went to a retreat, I didn't know anyone else who was
going, but it was the first time the Bible camp where we go had a
retreat so everyone was new to their retreats. Since then, there are
always at lot of the same people, so it is like a reunion of sorts. We
sew in a large, lovely room overlooking a beautiful, wooded valley. I go
to get some dedicated sewing time, to exchange ideas with others, to get
good meals that I don't have to cook, and just to get away. It seems
that quilters don't stay strangers long.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old March 13th 07, 10:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Gen

Companionship, learn from others, no household distractions, no cooking (big
plus), make new friends, generally a good time.
Gen

Old March 13th 07, 11:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Charlotte Hippen

I go for the already mentioned reasons: get away from the cooking and
cleaning, get time to sew, meet new people, and spend time with some I
already know. I am a stay a home mom so I also go to get away from my kids.
I love them to death but it is nice to get away once in a while too.

Charlotte

Old March 13th 07, 11:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jane Kay

I don't get much sewing done at home. I sew on the kitchen table, so every
few hours it's clean everything off, cook a meal, eat, clean up the
kitchen, get everything out again, sew a little more.

The only retreats I've been on have been with one or more friends, so I'm
not sharing a room with a stranger, though I did share a table with one
pretty often. When it was time to eat, we just left everything set up and
went to eat. My favorite has classes with professional teachers- It is
Zepora's Educational Quilting Seminar in Ripley, West Virginia Sunday thru
Friday a week in October -more than a retreat, but there are options to
bring your own project and the instructor is there to help with the tricky
parts. Right now is the time to sign up for this coming fall. NAYY

Jane in NE Ohio

Old March 13th 07, 11:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pauline

Our retreat is pretty much the same as Kathy in NH's is. I went for the
first time last summer & we had so much fun, I can't imagine not going every
year. The only things we had to lug were our sewing machines, tools &
projects. The organizers of the Guild Retreat hauled all the other
accoutrements up for us. We sit in groups of 2 to 4 mostly, but during the
4 days there, you really do get to meet & visit with many of the other
members & at upcoming meetings, you can genuinely share a few words with the
members you met, rather than just nodding & smiling!

Pauline
Northern California

"Kathy" wrote in message
news
I run a retreat for the guild I belong to. I have never been to one with
the exception of the one for the guild.

There are upwards of 50 ladies. We set up ironing stations, cutting
stations and we sit in groups of 8. We set up our stuff on Thursday night
and sew and laugh right through the entire weekend. We get up to get
great meals, go for walks, take some pictures, see show 'n tell. We get
to know fellow guild members that we don't get a chance to know at guild
meetings. It is a bonding thing.

Kathy in NH

See my quilts at http://community.webshots.com/user/debplayshere

Quilting retreat Julia in MN Quilting 3 February 25th 06 01:02 AM
Back from vacation - aka, a quilting retreat! AliceW Quilting 11 June 1st 05 05:08 PM
Quilting retreat Julia in MN Quilting 2 October 28th 04 01:30 PM
Report on my Quilting Retreat Mardi Quilting 6 April 18th 04 02:32 AM
Back from a quilting retreat Julia in MN Quilting 5 December 16th 03 04:47 AM