How to have a quilt appraised?

Old July 2nd 08, 06:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Plellar

Default How to have a quilt appraised?

Have attempted many needlework crafts, but am not much good at any of
them, though very interested in history, techniques, etc. Purchased a
quilt at an Amish farm many years ago - quite beautiful "hex" (I
believe) pattern. I don't remember exactly, but think I only paid
about $100.00 for it at the time. Not even sure where we were, was
just passing through lovely area near Lancaster, PA, stopped at a shop
(sort of - was more of a roadside "outbuilding"). Anyway, is there
any process to having the quilt appraised to see what its re-sale
value now approx. 15 years later might be? More for interest than to
actually part with it. Not willing to jump through too many hoops,
but if info. easily available, maybe in a certain book? Would
appreciate info. Thanks!
Old July 2nd 08, 04:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

I'm no expert, but so much of a quilt's value depends on the quality of
workmanship, both assembly and quilting, whether the maker is well-known,
the age, condition and provenance (does it have a story?), and the going
price when you try to sell it. My guess is that its market value is probably
not much more than when you bought it.

Have a google for Amish quilts for sale and see what similar pieces go for
nowadays. And remember, the asking price doesn't always reflect market
value.
Roberta in D

Old July 2nd 08, 04:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati C.

There are many quilt appraisers around. You might check with a quilt
shop in your area to see if they know of one. Or check on line, I
believe that the National Quilters Association has a list of certified
appraisers. You might also check with your homeowners insurance rep...
they probably have someone they use for this type of thing.
Good luck, and enjoy the quilt.

Pati, in Phx