Mini Texas star

Old June 30th 08, 04:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Default Mini Texas star

http://www.flickr.com/photos/onetexsun/?saved=1 Here is the photo of
the mini Texas star I just finished making from one of those
QuiltSmart patterns. It's all flip and sew and then fuse to the
backing. The information calls the patterns easy and fool proof. Hah.
I'm clearly a better fool than they ever intended to make one of thier
patterns. Each of the little diamond pieces took from 1.5 to 2 hours
from start to finish. I was intensely careful to stitch on the lines.
I measured and pinned and unstitched and r estitched.

In the end, all the main points matched except for the middle, which
is so totally wonky that it's pathetic. My husband suggested redoing
just the middle. When I reminded him that the middle was attached to
parts that line up just fine and that there was no "extra" to play
with, he suggested covering the middle with something. Or,
alternately, cutting a horse out of the stitched together part. (I'm
working on a round robin challenge right now and I'm making horses).

I'm going to finish this tonight with a nice border and hanging
sleeve. Or maybe tabs. I haven't decided yet. I intend to hang it up,
even if it is wonky. The colors are nice and I think from a distance
it'll work. The trick will be to hang it someplace where nobody can
get close enough to see the center lines.

Question: How should I quilt this? It's really small. About 18 inches
at the widest part. I'm open to suggestions for quilting motif.

Later,
Sunny
Old June 30th 08, 05:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

Quilt it in the outline of the state of Texas?

Cute little project!

Ginger in CA

Old June 30th 08, 05:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Ooooooh Ginger, I like that idea! I think somewhere I even have a
pattern that might be just the right size.

Sunny

Old June 30th 08, 06:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
claudia

On 30 jun, 05:38, Sunny wrote:
[...]

Hi Sunny

I made one of those too and had the same problem; matching up the
center points was a no go. How come your finished piece is octagonal?
Following my instructions on the star, mine came out square! And mine
is certainly bigger than 18 " across. Still, all in all I like the
technique. I think with a little tweaking it might work in a future
project!

Claudia
Old June 30th 08, 07:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

However hard it was, Sunny, it looks beautiful - so bright and clear.
I would definitely cover the centre - but try to make it something a
little less that 'got to cover this centre up with something, so make a
yo-yo' gg
Perhaps a single diamond, slightly larger than the component diamonds,
set strategically, might work?

I was at a talk last week, by a very successful quilter, who was showing
us quilts 'through her life'. Her early ones had lots of small pieces
of appliqué. She explained that they were to cover major errors!! In
her case, she was doing lots of curved piecing, and it didn't always
meet - so she had holes!! She was very proud when she reached the one
that had no appliqué!

Sorry I can't help with quilting suggestions.
..
In message
,
Sunny writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old June 30th 08, 08:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

I didn't have instructions, only the pattern part. This was something
I found in one of the boxes my friend Janae left me. I had originally
tossed it into my drawer for all things stabilizer, but when I
realized that I had all eight points I decided to finish it. That's
why the thing is an octagon. I couldn't for the life of me figure how
to make it square. But that is what comes next == corners to attach.
Not sure what yet, but something.

Sunny
Old June 30th 08, 10:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Perhaps you might consider appliquéing it to a square - or circle, or
any shape you wanted. Then you wouldn't have to worry about angles.
..
In message
,
Sunny writes

Old June 30th 08, 12:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

I didn't even see the little pouf at the center until I read all the posts
and it just might be that when it's quilted the little bubble will
disappear. Your colors are so perfectly chosen (arranged?) that I simply
enjoyed sitting here and awe-ing over it. It's wonderful. Polly

"Patti" wrote in message
Perhaps you might consider appliquéing it to a square - or circle, or any
shape you wanted. Then you wouldn't have to worry about angles.
.
In message
, Sunny
writes

Old June 30th 08, 03:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Nobody will notice the center unless you point it out. What about putting
the Texas state flower in the middle? Isn't that a bluebonnet (lupine)? You
might find one to embroider.
Roberta in D

Old June 30th 08, 04:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati C.

a suggestion for getting the middles to line up and be even. VBG
After sewing pairs of points together they should (with 8 star points)
form a square corner at the middle. Check this by using a square ruler
with a diagonal line on it. Lay the diagonal line on the seam, right
into the corner. If it isn't exactly square you need to "fix it". G
Make sure the seam line of the center diamonds are the same length (come
to the same point on each side of the ruler) and trim all 4 sections the
same. You may need to let out the seam right at the center, but easier
to check and do it now. VBG
If the seam joining the 2 parts is going straight into a 90° corner
angle, and the lengths of the sides (to the first diamond) are equal,
your seams should match. Also press all the seams in the same
direction, and nest them. When nesting, nudge them at least an inch or
so down from the intersection. Helps keep the center point matching. G

Hope this helps,
Pati, in Phx