Design wall .... redux

Old January 27th 07, 03:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

Default Design wall .... redux

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 05:04:21 GMT, "TwinMom"
wrote:

Here's another idea for you to ponder. You know those kinda cheap roll-up
bamboo matchstick shades - think Pier One or Cost Plus if there is one near
you. Anyway, wait for a sale or use a coupon to get the best price. What you
are really after is those tough, strong, lightweight top & bottom bamboo
poles (pre-drilled mind you) and all the pulley hardware!!

A cheaper and easier version would be to buy a wide vinyl roll-up
shade, remove the vinyl, staple on a flannel sheet, take rod out of
bottom of vinyl and put in bottom of the flannel. A possibly easier
version would be to unroll the shade and apply the flannel sheet to
the vinyl with a spray adhesive.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old January 27th 07, 03:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Does your DH think you need something to stick pins into? The whole idea of
the design wall (mine's a big piece of felt stuff from Keepsake Quilting,
tacked over wood panelling) is that you can just smooth your blocks onto it
and they stick. Easy to move around until you get the design just right. I'm
not opposed to cork, of course, but make sure there's a way to cover it with
the clingy material of your choice.
Roberta in D

"Sunny" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
ups.com...
Thank you all, you have given me many excellent ideas to chew on. My DH
has suggested putting cork on the wall.... what do any of you think of
this? (Obviously, I wouldn't be taking it anywhere, LOL). Anyways, I'm
gonna sit back and read all these ideas carefully, ask DH to take a
look, and make my list. It may be a few weeks before I get my room all
squared away, but it will be grand and I will have a design wall. BG
BTW, did I tell you I'm getting my own room???
Sunny

On Jan 26, 11:04 pm, "TwinMom" wrote:
Here's another idea for you to ponder. You know those kinda cheap roll-up
bamboo matchstick shades - think Pier One or Cost Plus if there is one
near
you. Anyway, wait for a sale or use a coupon to get the best price. What
you
are really after is those tough, strong, lightweight top & bottom bamboo
poles (pre-drilled mind you) and all the pulley hardware!! If you
carefully
unscrew and remove the pulley hardware & pulley string, you can then cut
the
upper & lower threads to get rid of the interior "matchstick" material.
(It's kinda heavy also.) Save it for another project if you'd like, maybe
floor covering. Once the inner shade is removed, you can replace it with
nice quality flannel sheet. Simply thread the poles through the top and
bottom hems of the sheet, poke the little holes in the top area for the
hardware to re-attach at the top pole, rethread the pulley string and
waa-laa, you have a flannel roll-up shade!!! It's extremely portable and
lightweight. I take mine to retreats with WIP's still attached, simply
hang,
unroll and go. BTW - buy the shade the correct width for the size of
sheet
you are using, ignore the length because it will end up being the length
of
your flannel. Sounds like a "duh", but it almost tripped me up once in
making one.

Lorraine in La Center

Old January 27th 07, 04:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
marigold

Thanks for confirming that this could work. I was sure I had seen someone
post about doing this a long time ago. The new house we are hoping to move
to has a wall of bookcases in the loft I plan on using as my space and I was
thinking of a roll up system for a design wall that could pull down over the
bookshelves when needed.
Geez, we don't even own the place yet and already I want to run out and buy
a blind and a sheet!

Patience, Patience...

Marilyn
in Alberta, Canada

news

Old January 27th 07, 04:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Boca Jan

hey Debra, I like that idea! I have mine on foam board, but it isn't big
enough. Your idea would work great in my studio which on a couple occassions
/ year has to double as a spare room for children to visit.

--
Boca Jan
Florida - Land of the Hurricanes

news

Old January 27th 07, 05:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 10:48:37 -0600, Sunny wrote
(in article .com):

The day is finally here, we will begin switching my sewing stuffand the
computer stuff and in the end I will have my very own dedicated sewing
room. Amazing! I have a wall space that measures 5' x 8' and I want to
use it for a design wall. What's cheap, effective, and will look fairly
decent? Right now I've got a piece of cheap craft felt pinned to a
strip of wall about half that size and my quilt blocks are stuck to
that.

Ok, wade in with the standard excellent ideas. BG

Sunny
(Did I say that I'm getting a room of my own??)

My design wall is a piece of foam board covered with felt (the felt is
stapled to the back). I can stick blocks up on the board or pin them if I so
desire. When we made my studio, David came up with this idea. The board is
in a light weight wooden frame and I can prop it up on the ledge of the
chalkboard I have.

There is a photo of it in the sewing studio album:
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/mwoz2/albums/

I just took a quick look at these. They are very old, I really should update
those. Of course, that means I need to take new photos, then figure out how
to get them onto my laptop since the thieves, while they did not take the
camera because it was upstairs, took the cradle and USB cord to transfer from
camera to 'puter.

Maureen

Old January 27th 07, 08:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
frood

The only time I use pins on my design wall is when I have the design
finalized, and I don't want my "helpers" to rearrange things. Otherwise,
I just stick them up. My design wall is a large piece of Warm & Natural
cotton batting, stapled to a 1"x2" piece of wood, 6' long. This is then
hung by hook and eye, mounted to the ceiling moulding. I thought I might
want to be able to take it down... but that's never happened. ;-P

Wendy

Old January 27th 07, 09:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Howdy!

My design wall is on the living room floor.
...oh, wait, my design wall IS the living room floor.

This means I have to clean the floor before I throw down blocks..
er..carefully place my well-planned designs on the floor,
which is not a bad thing; even Casual Housekeepers will clear & clean
the floor for a good cause. g
The hardwood flooring makes a lovely backdrop for any fabric,
I can slide around the fabric so easily, re-place and re-submit the
ideas as many times as it takes, the lighting is good so I can
actually see what I'm doing, and I can leave the project right there
until I'm ready to move it (take digital photos of new design layout
before taking another breath!). My designing process usually takes
a day or less so I'm Finished before the floor is required for anything
else, but I'm not done until I'm durned good&ready.
Of course, Stanley dog is NOT allowed in that room during this creative
endeavor and he responds well to the "Out!" command when I can tell that
he's just thinking about taking that next step. There are no small children
or clumsy-footed visitors in the front room, either.
And I can work in the heart of my home.

YMMV

Ragmop/Sandy--I'm cheap but I'm easy 8-

On 1/27/07 10:22 AM, in article
, "Maureen Wozniak"

Old January 28th 07, 08:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dannielle

Ok, I'm a bit weird this way. My design wall is whatever big open
space I can find at the moment. However, what I do is buy the batting
for the size quilt I want to make and pin it up on the wall. Then I
put blocks up on the batting itself until I have it just the way I
want! So not only am I storing the batting and getting the wrinkles
out of the batting, I'm also adjust my quilt top to make sure I'm
getting it the right size!

I do have a small piece of leftover batting hanging in another spot on
a wall to put up a block or two of long-term projects that I can just
leave up for inspiration.

Dannielle

Old January 29th 07, 03:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On 28 Jan 2007 11:20:42 -0800, "Dannielle"
wrote:

Ok, I'm a bit weird this way. My design wall is whatever big open
space I can find at the moment. However, what I do is buy the batting
for the size quilt I want to make and pin it up on the wall. Then I
put blocks up on the batting itself until I have it just the way I
want! So not only am I storing the batting and getting the wrinkles
out of the batting, I'm also adjust my quilt top to make sure I'm
getting it the right size!

I do have a small piece of leftover batting hanging in another spot on
a wall to put up a block or two of long-term projects that I can just
leave up for inspiration.

Dannielle

Oh, what a great idea.
Debra in VA