Shana Tova - Happy New Jewish Year 5767

Old September 23rd 06, 06:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Default Shana Tova - Happy New Jewish Year 5767

Thanks to all the people who returned my New year WISHES for all .
mirjam

Old September 23rd 06, 01:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Sara

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 17:00:41 GMT, ellice wrote:

Do you actually have a recipe for taglaich? I personally never liked it,
too sweet, but I would love to surprise my friends by making it.

My grandmother was useless when it came to getting recipes from her and her
standard answer was you put in a little of this, some of that, etc. When I
asked how much was a little, the answer generally was "Till it looks right."
Not much help for the recipe impaired like me. My mother didn't like it, so
I never found out the how.

Lucille

Yes - I do. But, I've never made it. I'll look for it, and send it in a
bit. I'm just about to run out to Costco - to buy folding chairs. And then
stop at either Linens & Things or Bed Bath Beyond, and use a coupon to get a
tablecloth - found the pads, but don't think I have the huge size (seats
12-16) in an accessible place.

I'll send the recipe later today.

Ellice

I've made it once. Boiled over honey syrup makes a very impressive
mess. Use a big pot.

Sara
Old September 23rd 06, 02:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille

"Sara" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the tip. Isn't it amazing that our grandmothers never thought of
anything being a mess if it was a goodie for a grandchild, while this
generation with all the different things available to us that are supposed
to make our lives easier, worry about that kind of thing?

Old September 23rd 06, 03:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C - California

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Elizabeth - you'd amazed at the difference in cost across the country in
something as everyday as a gallon of milk, a pound of butter or a can of
Herseys cocoa.

Cheryl

Even in the same city. In my neighborhood, I have two major American
grocery chains, which charge $1.09 for a can of Del Monte whole
potatoes. If I'm willing to sit on a bus for a while, and carry my
groceries further from that bus route, I can go to the Asian
supermarket, which charges 59c for the exact same item. Ditto for
canned carrots, $1.09 at my nearest grocery, 59c at the Asian
supermarket south of town.

And if you're in one of California's extremely rural areas where it's
30+ miles to the nearest chain supermarket (and inaccessible in winter
because the mountain pass is closed), you might pay 50% more at the
local mom-and-pop grocery than we're paying here in the city.

--

Karen C - California
www.CFSfacts.org where we give you the facts and dispel the myths

Finished 9/20/06 -- baby bib

WIP: baby and housewarming gifts, July birthstone, Flowers of
Hawaii (Jeanette Crews) for ME!!!
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel
LTR: Fireman's Prayer (#2), Amid Amish Life, Angel of Autumn,
Calif Sampler, Holiday Snowglobe

Editor/Proofreader www.KarenMCampbell.com
Design page http://www.KarenMCampbell.com/designs.html
Old September 23rd 06, 11:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dr. Brat

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 9/22/06 10:03 PM, in article
, "Dr. Brat"
wrote:

Karen C - California wrote:

The recipe on the back of the cocoa tin calls for 2 sticks of butter (a
couple bucks at current prices) instead of a little oil (pennies per
batch), 4 eggs versus 2 for the mix (thus, an extra dozen over the
course of a week), and 3/4 cup of cocoa (eyeballing it, maybe 1/3 of a
$3.35 can of cocoa). So, the cocoa alone would cost more than the 99c mix.

The recipe I'm talking about uses no butter and 2 eggs, some oil, milk,
and a cup of boiling water with flour, sugar, cocoa, vanilla and is
worth every damned penny it costs. Best chocolate cake you'll ever eat
and one of the easiest you'll ever make. You dump all the dry
ingredients in a bowl, then mix in all the wet ones and you're done.

3/4 cup of cocoa is about 1/4 of the can (which claims to contain 45
tablespoons), which here costs $2.89.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth - you'd amazed at the difference in cost across the country in
something as everyday as a gallon of milk, a pound of butter or a can of
Herseys cocoa.

Well, duh. I wouldn't be amazed at all. I spent 15 years in the
Mid-West, don't forget.

But what amazes me is the speed with which some people manage to shift
the terms of a discussion as soon as someone says something different
than what they said. I didn't see cost or feeding volunteers in the
original post, just recipe doctoring. You'd think I'd learn.

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old September 24th 06, 03:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C - California

Dr. Brat wrote:

what amazes me is the speed with which some people manage to shift
the terms of a discussion as soon as someone says something different
than what they said. I didn't see cost or feeding volunteers in the
original post, just recipe doctoring.

Elizabeth

I said "I have regularly had people beg for my brownie recipe and refuse
to believe that it's the 99c Safeway house brand mix." I did not say
WHAT people, or for WHAT purpose I was baking the cheap brownies, only
that they taste better with more water than the box calls for.

You apparently read into that, that the only way that I bake brownies is
from a 99c mix, because you countered "Or you can bake from scratch and
really have something good. The cake on the back of the Hershey's cocoa
can doesn't take any more time than a boxed cake mix and is a zillion
times better."

I never said that this is the only way I bake brownies. I never said
that I don't make them from scratch. I never said that I thought
scratch baking takes more time. You felt the need to criticize not
baking from scratch, without bothering with accurate facts (like that I
have posted a very involved, very expensive scratch recipe here in the
past that proves it was unnecessary for you to suggest that my only goal
was getting brownies made as quickly as possible).

You assumed facts not in evidence, and then got annoyed when I pointed
out your assumption was wrong by filling in facts that were unnecessary
to the original comment, in order to correct your false assumption that
I think a mix is as good as scratch.

I know perfectly well -- as does almost everyone else here -- that if
you want something really good, you bake from scratch. There was no
need to point that out in a discussion that centered on *doctoring*
recipes, unless you were going to tell us HOW you doctor the recipe on
the Hershey's can. Which you didn't, so the only reasonable
interpretation of that comment was that you were criticizing the use of
a mix for any reason, instead of constructively contributing to the
discussion of how recipes can be doctored.

Old September 24th 06, 03:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 9/23/06 6:25 PM, in article ,
"Dr. Brat" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 9/22/06 10:03 PM, in article
, "Dr. Brat"
wrote:

Karen C - California wrote:

[...]

I hadn't spotted that, but so be it!

Actually, I still like the Jiffy mix corn muffins better than just about any
other method, including scratch, non-sweet ones.

Cheryl

Old September 24th 06, 04:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 9/23/06 9:51 AM, "Lucille" wrote:

"Sara" wrote in message
[...]

Lucille - I read the recipe last night. Big warning - use a really big pot
- don't worry - it won't be too big once you get going. I'll send it to you
separately since I'm taking it from a cookbook. FWIW - I highly recommend
"Joan Nathan's Jewish Holiday Kitchen" - it's available in paperback or
hardback. She's local to the DC area - and has researched tons of recipes
complete with attributions. The taiglach - she says is something that
Lithuanian Jews make for all kinds of celebrations. DH whose family is
Lithuanian was quite thrilled (which then opens our debate that I, he
somewhat, believe someone in his family became Catholic in the old country -
for whatever reason. He speaks way too much Yiddish for a guy who grew up
in a town with 0 Jews (well, the dentist, but he converted to Catholcism), a
convent, a Catholic school, and a lot of churches.

Got to run - haven't had my coffee yet!

ellice

Old September 24th 06, 10:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Alison

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 10:04:40 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

Actually, I still like the Jiffy mix corn muffins better than just about any
other method, including scratch, non-sweet ones.

Cheryl

I like the Jiffy mix also because it has no eggs or milk in the mix
and doesn't call for any either which means I can make it for my
dairy-allergic/egg-allergic friends.

Alison

Happy New Year Janner Quilting 2 January 14th 06 10:27 AM
Happy New Year The Larsons Quilting 0 December 31st 05 07:04 PM
[AD] New at Trash City: Hebrew Letters, Pendulums, Bead Stoppers + Happy New Year! Trashcitybeads Beads 0 January 2nd 05 09:30 PM
Happy Lunar New Year! Erin-Joi Collins McNeal Rubberstamps 0 January 22nd 04 04:57 PM