Rant on Where did all the Ski Sweaters Go?

Old February 28th 05, 07:30 AM

Default Rant on Where did all the Ski Sweaters Go?

Last week, I took advantage of all the snow in the hills for a day of
downhill skiing at one of California's nice ski areas resorts. It was a
beautiful day to ski and be seen.

However, I was the only person on the slopes wearing a traditional wool ski
sweater. Everybody else was wearing mass produced nylon ski outfits (or
snowboard grunge.) It is a sad loss of tradition and style in an elegant
sport.

Because I was not wearing a nylon shell, everybody assumed that I must be
cold. In fact, I was quite comfortable, while one of my companions wearing
a fancy, "Hi-Tec" nylon ski outfit was cold. Actually many ski outfits are
more designed to look hi-tec rather than to be functional.

Now, everyone in RCTY knows that I love synthetic fibers on days when the
weather is really ugly. But, I freely admit that most nylon ski suits are
very ugly. I think that wearing a nylon ski suit on a nice day says: a)
that you either did not check the weather; or, b) that you expect to fall
head first into a snow bank.

So make sure that your skiers have nice wool ski sweaters. Wool sweaters
really are functional, and they can be beautiful.

Aaron

Old March 1st 05, 12:18 AM
Richard Eney

In article ,
wrote:

I was the only person on the slopes wearing a traditional wool ski
sweater. Everybody else was wearing mass produced nylon ski outfits
(or snowboard grunge.) It is a sad loss of tradition and style in an
elegant sport.

Because I was not wearing a nylon shell, everybody assumed that I must
be cold. In fact, I was quite comfortable, while one of my companions
wearing a fancy, "Hi-Tec" nylon ski outfit was cold. Actually many
ski outfits are more designed to look hi-tech rather than to be
functional.

My sister used to ski in a very lacy mohair sweater over a cotton
turtleneck. She was comfortably warm and didn't build up sweat.

In one of his books, David Niven wrote about a very painful and
embarrassing frostbite problem he had while wearing an all-nylon ski
outfit. I've heard that the affliction is now called "Nivening". :-)

I think that wearing a nylon ski suit on a nice day says:
a) that you either did not check the weather;
or, b) that you expect to fall head first into a snow bank.

So make sure that your skiers have nice wool ski sweaters. Wool
sweaters really are functional, and they can be beautiful.

Wool holds an amazing amount of water without feeling wet.

Speaking of travesties:
Wandering through a store recently I saw a knitted sweater that
had a somewhat Fair-Isle-looking design _printed_ onto it!

=Tamar
Old March 1st 05, 04:07 AM
Shillelagh

wrote in message
om...
Last week, I took advantage of all the snow in the hills for a day of
downhill skiing at one of California's nice ski areas resorts. It was a
beautiful day to ski and be seen.

Good for you, and I'm glad you enjoyed it! (smile).

However, I was the only person on the slopes wearing a traditional wool

ski
sweater. Everybody else was wearing mass produced nylon ski outfits (or
snowboard grunge.) It is a sad loss of tradition and style in an elegant
sport.

Here's the thing Aaron - the boarders wouldn't been seen dead in a real wool
sweater. Besides, they litter the ski hills with themselves - usually
planted on their bottoms right in the middle of the run, right below a drop
where you can't see them. Then they wonder why you shriek at them on your
way by. If I can, I will run over their bloody boards.

Because I was not wearing a nylon shell, everybody assumed that I must be
cold. In fact, I was quite comfortable, while one of my companions

wearing
a fancy, "Hi-Tec" nylon ski outfit was cold. Actually many ski outfits

are
more designed to look hi-tec rather than to be functional.

I have been skiing for more years than I care to remember, and because it
was usually VERY cold (-25 or worse), I have always worn layers under a
lined nylon ski jacket and nylon snow pants (with long johns under the snow
pants). The last woolen ski sweater I had wouldn't come anywhere near
fitting me now. I usually wear a woolen toque, and lined nylon ski gloves.

So make sure that your skiers have nice wool ski sweaters. Wool sweaters
really are functional, and they can be beautiful.

I plan to make myself a Scandinavian style sweater this year, and if it's
finished on time, I will definitely wear it skiing - but probably under the
nylon jacket. If we had the warmer weather for skiing that you must have in
California, then I would think of wearing the sweater without the jacket.
;)

Shelagh

Old March 1st 05, 03:23 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Tamar ,,, printed fair isle ????
hahahahah
mirjam

Old March 2nd 05, 03:29 AM

"Shillelagh" wrote in message

wrote in message
om...
SNIP

Here's the thing Aaron - the boarders wouldn't been seen dead in a real

wool
sweater. Besides, they litter the ski hills with themselves - usually
planted on their bottoms right in the middle of the run, right below a

drop
where you can't see them. Then they wonder why you shriek at them on your
way by. If I can, I will run over their bloody boards.

I have been run over by Jean Claud Killy himself. Skiers can also be rude.

SNIP.

I have been skiing for more years than I care to remember, and because it
was usually VERY cold (-25 or worse), I have always worn layers under a
lined nylon ski jacket and nylon snow pants (with long johns under the

snow
pants).

But, when you got to the lodge, and took your parka off. . . . . .

The last woolen ski sweater I had wouldn't come anywhere near
fitting me now.

I hope it it was the sweater that shrank. Over the last few months, I have
come to believe that people should stay fit and NOT gain weight as they get
older.

I usually wear a woolen toque, and lined nylon ski gloves.

So make sure that your skiers have nice wool ski sweaters. Wool sweaters
really are functional, and they can be beautiful.

I plan to make myself a Scandinavian style sweater this year, and if it's
finished on time, I will definitely wear it skiing - but probably under

the
nylon jacket.

If we had the warmer weather for skiing that you must have in
California, then I would think of wearing the sweater without the jacket.
;)

Shelagh

Those lopi sweaters knit from the neck down, go real fast. If you got into
a real California style traffic jam, you could just about knit one on the
way to the ski area, and lopi is real warm. I just made a short sleeved one
so the sleeves do not get wet when I dip my hands in the water when fishing.
At 3 stiches per inch, the sweater just jumped off the needles like magic.

Aaron

Old March 2nd 05, 07:00 AM
Shillelagh

wrote in message
m...

I have been run over by Jean Claud Killy himself. Skiers can also be

rude.

That's true, but I've never met nearly as many clueless skiers as boarders.
Somehow, I don't think they are ever taught the Alpine ski code, which is
too bad.

I hope it it was the sweater that shrank. Over the last few months, I

have
come to believe that people should stay fit and NOT gain weight as they

get
older.

Hah! How old are you? 25? and probably never had a weight problem. Of
course we should ALL stay fit and not gain weight - but that's not real
life. No, I never shrank the sweater. I've lost and regained more weight
in my lifetime than I care to discuss.

Those lopi sweaters knit from the neck down, go real fast. If you got

into
a real California style traffic jam, you could just about knit one on the
way to the ski area, and lopi is real warm.

I won't wear Lopi. Toooo damned itchy. The wool I have in a huge bag is
Philosopher's wool, and I'm afraid it may be itchy too, so will have to be
sure to have a nice soft cotton turtleneck under it. I'm really looking
forward to having some time to work on that sweater. I still have to decide
on a pattern though.

I just made a short sleeved one
so the sleeves do not get wet when I dip my hands in the water when

fishing.
At 3 stiches per inch, the sweater just jumped off the needles like magic.

Do you have a web album so we could see some of your projects?

Shelagh

Old March 2nd 05, 08:26 PM

When I was young, I kept my weight down by running. Then in my early 30's,
I had a foot injury (motorcycle related) and had to stop running. I bulked
up to carry heavy loads for mountaineering expeditions. Then, some of that
bulk turned to fat while I was not watching, and I gained a bit more and
ended up at 240 lb in the year 2000. For Christmas, that year my (now) wife
gave me a mule ride down into the Grand Canyon - but the weight limit was
200 pounds, so I lost 40 pounds. I stayed at around 200 pounds for 3 years,
and then began having high blood pressure, and my doctor wanted me to start
a whole raft of drugs, and take all kinds of tests every few weeks. All of
this was expensive, and the drugs had bad side effects. For one, they made
me very tired. While I was on those drugs, a nap was a good day's project.

So I did some research, and decided to resolve the whole slate of health
issues by losing some more weight and getting more exercise. Now, I watch
my diet, I get a good deal of exercise, and I am down to 180 lb with a
weight goal of 160 lb. (Actually, the goal is to get my body fat down to
15%.) My blood pressure is under control, the cholesterol is under control,
and I am sleeping better. All without drugs. My doctor is back to
scheduling once a year examinations for me. My cost is 90 minutes of
vigorous exercise every other day. It is a very high cost, but it gives me
my life back. Now, I am back to having energy and getting things done.
Time for exercise is a small price to pay for getting my life back.

I always got more exercise than the minimum recommended by the American
Heart Association, but five years ago, a day of skiing would waste me for a
week. Thus, I did not ski much! Now, I get more exericise. So here I am
at age 52, and I can ski black diamonds all day, log it as a rest day, and
go running the next morning without any pain or stiffness. That makes all
kinds of activites a whole lot more attractive. The difference is getting
enough exercise.

Now we know that walking and gardening and house work are simply not enough
exercise to maintain a reasonable level of fitness. If you are going to
get fit or stay fit and have good levels of energy, you need to exercise
hard enough that you can just pant 4 words at a time in a conversation (the
talk test) for at least 30 minutes every day.

To bring this back on topic, if you exercise and get fit, you will be a much
better knitter. That is my story, and I am sticking to it.

No, I do not have a web album. Maybe one of these days.

Aaron

"Shillelagh" wrote in message

m...

Old March 2nd 05, 09:26 PM
Shillelagh

wrote in message
. com...

So I did some research, and decided to resolve the whole slate of health
issues by losing some more weight and getting more exercise. Now, I watch
my diet, I get a good deal of exercise, and I am down to 180 lb with a
weight goal of 160 lb. (Actually, the goal is to get my body fat down to
15%.) My blood pressure is under control, the cholesterol is under

control,
and I am sleeping better. All without drugs. My doctor is back to
scheduling once a year examinations for me. My cost is 90 minutes of
vigorous exercise every other day. It is a very high cost, but it gives me
my life back. Now, I am back to having energy and getting things done.
Time for exercise is a small price to pay for getting my life back.

Talk to me in two years or more, when you have kept it all off, and not
gained a pound back. I've been there, done the whole routine. Keeping the
weight off is the hardest part, and if you can do it, good for you. Not
many people can get it off and keep it off. And, the newly converted are
the ones with the shiniest halos.

Now we know that walking and gardening and house work are simply not

enough
exercise to maintain a reasonable level of fitness.

Beg to differ with you. Power walking is an excellent way to get fit and
stay that way. BUT - you have to do it at least 5 days out of 7, for at
least 2 or more miles a day, and watch the food too. Besides, being
personal about it, I wrecked my knee last year, so it's unlikely I'm going
to be doing much else besides the walking and maybe my exercise bike.

If you are going to
get fit or stay fit and have good levels of energy, you need to exercise
hard enough that you can just pant 4 words at a time in a conversation

(the
talk test) for at least 30 minutes every day.

I disagree with you there. While exercising, if you can only pant a few
words, you are working too hard, and leaving yourself open to a heart
attack. A proper talk test is to be able to speak at least a whole sentence
and be understood.

To bring this back on topic, if you exercise and get fit, you will be a

much
better knitter. That is my story, and I am sticking to it.

Well hon, I'm not fit and I'm a pretty good knitter. What I need to do is
LESS knitting and more power walking. Hmmm, maybe when it warms up a bit.

No, I do not have a web album. Maybe one of these days.

Yahoo has a good web album thing. Very easy to set up. I'm sure we'd all
love to see your knitting and whatever other crafts you are into. I'm
working on a laceweight shawl these days. I hope to finish it in the next
month or so.

Have a good day.
Shelagh

Moth eaten baby sweaters!!!!!!!!!! Linda Yarn 0 November 23rd 04 08:16 AM
Washing wool sweaters GSHEPDOG Yarn 3 October 23rd 04 06:10 AM
Sweaters Karen in MN Yarn 3 January 22nd 04 07:25 AM
OT ~ question??? (rant enclosed) Mj Beads 11 August 26th 03 06:07 PM