OT Do you beat your head on the doctor?

Old September 15th 11, 10:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Default OT Do you beat your head on the doctor?

....or do you just beat the doctor?

I don't know about you, but hearing a doctor say, "Oh my, you are in
trouble." while palpitating your abdomen, is definitely on my top 10 list
of things I do not want to hear.

I walked in to the newly expanded clinic because menopause is kicking my
butt, DH is freaking out about it, and I have developed a hard swelling
where my internal girly parts are.
I walked out with three pages of lab orders, 4 procedure orders (two
ultrasounds, a mammogram and a chest x-ray), a follow-up visit in a week
(the labs and stuff have to be done before then), and being informed that
they are scheduling me an appointment at Roswell Park
(http://www.roswellpark.org/ No space aliens are involved) and will call
when they have it.

Apparently the hard swelling is a big old abdominal mass.

The appointment at Roswell is not anything to get up about. It is just
that they tried to make me an appointment with every gynecologist in
three counties but nobody would touch me. Either because there were
insurance conflicts, or because they would not take a brand new patient
that has an abdominal mass. So they said the heck with it, and are
sending me straight to the big guns.
In all likelihood it is either another ovarian cyst run amok because of
the hormonal changes, or possibly the small fibroids they found last time
I had such a cyst that have gone gargantuan for the same reason.
Besides as I told DH to calm him, 80 percent of the time an oncologist is
the person you see who tells you that there is no big problem.

Dang, I bet I have to buy new jewelry for my "lower" piercing. It is
really really hard to take a capture bead ring out of such a place
without wrecking the ring. *grump*

NightMist

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?
Old September 15th 11, 10:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise In Iowa

He said what???? I'm pretty sure he'll never get an award for
outstanding bedside manner. Geez!

I'm glad you're being optimistic about all of this. I'm sure you're
right that it's nothing to be overly concerned about, but it's good to
get it checked anyway. DH's tend to get more freaked out than we do,
don't they?

I don't have any advice re removing the piercing jewelry, but I sure
wish you good luck in everything!

Louise in Iowa
http://community.webshots.com/user/LouiseinIowa
nieland1390@mchsidotcom

Old September 15th 11, 11:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I think you send the doc to Polly's gators. I have found generally docs
are looking to make a car payment with hysterectomies and such at
the drop of a hat. So many women have cysts and or fibroids and the
docs seem to take advantage of that as an option to make a few dollars
off of the situation. Hopefully that is what is going on with you NM.
Good luck with the testing. I am sending thoughts for a good and sooner
than later resolution to your health stuff. So far as the jewelry goes I am
no help there either.
Hugs, Taria

Old September 16th 11, 05:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

On 15/09/2011 22:26, NightMist wrote:

...or do you just beat the doctor?

I don't know about you, but hearing a doctor say, "Oh my, you are in
trouble." while palpitating your abdomen, is definitely on my top 10 list
of things I do not want to hear.

I've heard 'H'm... I'm not happy with this, so I'm sending you for
further investigation. It's probably nothing to worry about, but we'd
better make sure' when I found the breast lump. It wasn't, but I had an
anxious Christmas! If my doc says that sort of thing, you sit up and
pay attention, because he's lovely really.

I walked in to the newly expanded clinic because menopause is kicking my
butt, DH is freaking out about it, and I have developed a hard swelling
where my internal girly parts are.
I walked out with three pages of lab orders, 4 procedure orders (two
ultrasounds, a mammogram and a chest x-ray), a follow-up visit in a week
(the labs and stuff have to be done before then), and being informed that
they are scheduling me an appointment at Roswell Park
(http://www.roswellpark.org/ No space aliens are involved) and will call
when they have it.

Apparently the hard swelling is a big old abdominal mass.

Well, good that they are investigation.

The appointment at Roswell is not anything to get up about. It is just
that they tried to make me an appointment with every gynecologist in
three counties but nobody would touch me. Either because there were
insurance conflicts, or because they would not take a brand new patient
that has an abdominal mass. So they said the heck with it, and are
sending me straight to the big guns.

Here it can be a bit of a postcode lottery where they send you, but when
they thought the breast lump might be serious, the doc said that
wherever was best would be where he'd send me, even as far as Birmingham!

In all likelihood it is either another ovarian cyst run amok because of
the hormonal changes, or possibly the small fibroids they found last time
I had such a cyst that have gone gargantuan for the same reason.
Besides as I told DH to calm him, 80 percent of the time an oncologist is
the person you see who tells you that there is no big problem.

I found mine very reassuring and very kind.

Dang, I bet I have to buy new jewelry for my "lower" piercing. It is
really really hard to take a capture bead ring out of such a place
without wrecking the ring. *grump*

I only have ears pierced, and that was bad enough. Not doing anything else.

Good luck with it all: we will all be thinking of you.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old September 16th 11, 04:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Thanks for telling us -good thoughts headed your way. Although I'm
sure you're right and it's "just" a cyst. Still, these things can take
up too much space and push where you don't want them to.

If a jerk doctor ever says something like that to me, I hope to have
the presence of mind to call him on it!
Roberta in D

Old September 16th 11, 08:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

I hate doctors. There, I've said it. I'm so close to totally giving up on Western Medicine, rude doctors and ruder nurses ... Russ is gonna have to drag me to go back to any of them unless I'm bleeding or unconscious.

NM, you are already the recipient of my prayers and strong thoughts and white light. I will accept that you are right, and it's good that you're going straight to someone with enough sense not to blurt out something stupid whilst palpitating a person's stomach. What a jerk. What a bum. No, don't give him to Polly's crocs. What did the poor crocs ever do to deserve a nasty meal like that?

Please let us know the minute you get information. In the meantime, I'll keep up the good stuff for you. And will spare a minute or two for sympathy for the piercing jewelry. My ears were traumatic enough, I won't even get waxed, my 'lower parts' are mostly free of embellishing and primping and I hope they stay that way. However, I'm glad to know you are truly the free spirit you seem to be. Hang in there girl. You're being prayed for and that's serious stuff.

Hugs,
Sunny
Old September 17th 11, 11:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 12:53:17 -0700, Sunny wrote:

[...]

Gonna try to cram this all into one post instead of going all hodge podge
through the thread.

First off hugs to everybody for the thoughts and wishes!

Miz Polly? Do the gators like East Indian appetizers?
The doctor in question is a teeny tiny (had to stand on a stool to reach
me on the exam table tiny) East Indian lady.
Though maybe I had ought to keep her, less than wonderful bedside manner
and all. I had a heck of a time finding a local doctor since the
hospital (now a for profit enterprise) closed all of their clinics. This
new expanded clinic is a response from The Resource Center
( http://www.resourcecenter.org/ )to those closings so they can serve
more of the general public.
And hey, on my very first visit I actually saw a real doctor, had a much
more thorough medical history taken than at the other clinic, and they at
least acted like they were actually listening to me instead of
patronizing me. I only ever got that from Doctor Hottie and Doctor
Unpronounceably Eastern European before this.

So far as everything else, there are far too many common and pretty
benign explanations for everything to even think about getting my
knickers in a twist just yet. I think my mom dying so recently is what
has DH in a half a panic. The main thing that bugs me right now is my
cycle being really messed up, very long and beyond extremely heavy well
into large animal sacrifice heavy. Makes me wonder if it might be
something so simple as the pipes being clogged, I do have that clotting
disorder from the mutation after all. Especially since the hard bits
only seem to get bigger during my cycle.

Roberta, I am totally at the discomfort point from things being pushed
about inside me. If I bend the wrong way it can be rather painful too.
I am very much hoping this can be handled quickly. Things have gone from
a bit of a tough belly to feeling like I am storing big honking rocks
over the course of about three cycles. I absolutely shudder to think
where I am going to be after another one.

Sunny I feel much the same way about ERs, and the previous clinic.
Get in, never see a doctor, get nothing but poor behavior out of nine
tenths of the people you encounter, sit in an exam room forever (in the
case of The ER I laid on an exam table writhing in pain for more than six
hours one time), and then generally don't get treated for what you are
there for. I have had a PA lecture me on the importance of losing weight
and quitting smoking while I was sitting on an exam table with pus
running out of an ear, and then never give me so much as advice for the
infection. Another time I went in for the results of a Glucose Tolerance
test and had the NP lecture me on the evils of steroids because he found
out I lifted weights. He totally forgot about my test results and I had
to flag down a passing nurse to get them. Really some of these people
need to be spanked once a week while being admonished to remember what
the heck their job actually is.

So far as the jewelry it is replaceable.
More of an annoyance than anything. If I am lucky they won't fuss about
it. Actually there is no reason that they should, unless they want to do
an MR or something someplace along the way. Some medical people are
totally freaked by piercings though, and make you take your jewelry out
regardless of whether they actually need you to or not.

NightMist

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?
Old September 17th 11, 01:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dee in Oz[_3_]

Thinking of you Nightmist and hoping for the best for you.
We are of a sililar age but so far I don't have any of the problems that you
do. I just hope that it stays that way.

I did have a fibroid but that was during my first pregnancy and must have
disappeared soon after as it has never troubled me since.
Is your jewerly the same as the type used in a targus that need the pliers
to get it out?

Dee in Oz

"NightMist" wrote Gonna try to cram this all into one post instead of

Old September 17th 11, 02:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Oh. Well, now. That's different. Since your dr is a tiny East Indian, I
forgive the "oh my, you are in trouble" unfortunate remark. I was picturing
a snarky big ghoul. NM, you damn Skippy are in trouble. My doctor let me
suffer with much the same symptoms as your for years including I weighed 83
pounds and was dangerously anemic. He didn't want me to have a hysterectomy
just in case we might have more children. I didn't want more children. I
needed my life back.
Long story short - the 'keep all your parts or die trying' doctor died.
The next one swiftly took care of me. I'm betting that Roswell will get you
fixed and feeling good in just no time. From my heart to God's ears, Polly

Old September 17th 11, 10:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 22:29:27 +1000, Dee in Oz wrote:

Is your
jewerly the same as the type used in a targus that need the pliers to
get it out?

I really like tragus piercings, and if I weren't so prone to swimmer's
ear I would have mine done. A piercing in an area already prone to
infection is just asking for trouble though.
For those who are wondering, the tragus is that pointy bit right in front
of your ear canal.

A capture (or captive) bead ring is a ring with a gap and there is a bead
in the gap. The bead is held in place by the pressure of the ring
pressing on it. You need pliers, preferably specialty pliers just for
opening or closing capture bead rings though needle nose will work in a
pinch, to open or close the ring.
I have been thinking on this.
It is enough of a pain in the neck that If I have to remove it for any
sort of thing they want to do, I will probably go to the tattoo parlor
and have them do it. I'll bet that the guy or girl, whichever is in, at
the tattoo shop will do it for free or cheap, and put in an easily
removable non-metallic retainer for me. I am gonna give them a call and
ask so I know for sure.
I'll bet they will autoclave my current jewelry inexpensively too. It is
always good to have such things properly cleaned and sterilized when you
can.

NightMist

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?

There's nothing to beat.... annie, england Quilting 12 September 28th 06 02:54 PM
The beat goes on... OT again... Kate Dicey Quilting 5 May 21st 05 12:45 AM
beat time Millie James Yarn 2 July 17th 04 04:44 PM
ad < her heart beat electric...tatercat tatercat Beads 3 January 3rd 04 06:24 PM
And the beat goes on....(warning! long, rambling post) MargieK Beads 16 November 9th 03 11:49 PM