OT- ? about Transitions eyeglass lenses

Old July 10th 03, 03:10 AM
Donna in Idaho

No, the transitions don't get as dark as sun glasses. That's why I have
both. I keep my sunglasses in my car. If I get out of the car to go in a
store, I leave my sungalsses in the car and the transitions help somewhat
from the car to the store! That way I don't have to fiddle with the
sunglasses while in the store.
--
Donna in Idaho!
Project Linus Boise/SW Idaho Coordinator

The ultimate inspiration is the deadline!

"Sherry Starr" wrote in message
t...
I asked my ophthalmologist about them, and he said he did not think they
were very good since they do not get as dark as sunglasses. I asked
Lenscrafters about them before I bought new glasses, and they said they
don't really recommend them because they don't get as dark as the
sunglasses. When my sunglasses start fading, they just redye them at no
charge. I also have a friend that bought the transition glasses and took
them back, and got sunglasses. He said he felt like they never changed
much. He kept taking them off and looking at them because they weren't

very
dark.
Sherry Starr
"The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me" wrote in message
I came into a little bit of money and decided to treat myself to some
nice glasses to replace these cheap "industrial" frames and lined
trifocals. I want no-line trifocals (had them before and they worked
well for me) with the Transitions lenses that darken when you go
outdoors and lighten up indoors. I have never had Transitions, so
before I invest in them (rather pricey), does anybody have any
comments... anything I should know?

Thanks my friends- I always know I can get good info here! ;-)

Leslie

The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me

RCTQ- Houston 2004..... A good friend will come and bail you out of
jail.... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...
that was fun!"

Old July 10th 03, 09:28 AM
Kate Dicey

The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me wrote:

I came into a little bit of money and decided to treat myself to some
nice glasses to replace these cheap "industrial" frames and lined
trifocals. I want no-line trifocals (had them before and they worked
well for me) with the Transitions lenses that darken when you go
outdoors and lighten up indoors. I have never had Transitions, so
before I invest in them (rather pricey), does anybody have any
comments... anything I should know?

Thanks my friends- I always know I can get good info here! ;-)

Leslie

The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me

RCTQ- Houston 2004..... A good friend will come and bail you out of
jail.... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...
that was fun!"

I had the transition sort a long time back, and found that they went
dark in the classroom when the fluorescent lighting was on, or the sun
was strong outside! Bit of a pain when I needed to see what the brats
were up to in the far dark corners of the room! Like others I didn't
think they went dark enough in full strong sunlight (not here in the UK,
down on the Loire!). Lately I have had 4 pairs of specs -

Good glass lensed ones with high compression lenses and anti-glare
coatings: not worth the extra, as the lenses break too easily! Also,
too heavy for my sinus inflicted face...

No compression plastic lenses without any coatings in a cheapo frame -
the spares! I tend to wear these a lot as they are more comfortable
than my posh ones - they weigh half what the glass lenses do!

Sewing specs - el cheapo frames, plastic lenses, no compression...
Really light and great for sewing/reading, but useless beyond fingertip
reach! Very light and comfy. I don't plan to change to varifocals yet
as my near sight is still changing. I can wear these for long sewing
days with no problem.

Prescription sunglasses: mid cost frame, plastic lens (distance
prescription only), no compression, dead light and comfy, NOT AT ALL
beautiful, but lovely and dark! Haven't had to change them in 4 years,
but don't wear them constantly.

My distance prescription hasn't changed in quite a while, but the near
sight has, and is still in a state of flux, so I have been advised by
the specs folk not to bother with varifocals yet, as the cost would
mount up horribly as the near sight changed. I do like my opticians! I
need new 'good' specs, as the posh ones (now more than 8 years old, and
had several lens changes!) are wearing out. They have had new sides -
the hinges went - a new nose pad, and at lest one new lens because the
screw threads are wearing out, I lost a screw and a lens dropped into
the bathroom wash basin and smashed!

When I can afford to replace them I will have ultra light weight
hi-compression plastic lenses, I may have anti glare coatings (though as
I no longer work in a fluorescent tube lighting environment, I don't
find it necessary), and I will continue to wear my dark sun glasses and
a hat when out in the sun! The transitions are OK if you like them,
but I don't find the benefits worth the extra cash. I'd rather spend it
on fabric. Buying specs is a bit like buying a sewing machine - each of
us likes different things!
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk

Old July 10th 03, 03:02 PM
ME-Judy

Mine developed a yellowish cast to them after a while - I always have to
take them off for color-matching. (Thank goodness I'm near sighted G and
not far-sighted).
ME-Judy

Old July 11th 03, 05:01 AM
Royce

Get them! They are worth every cent. I would never get another pair of
glasses without it. I've had them for about 10 years.

Originally, I got them because I was working for a grower, and going in &
out of the greenhouse to the warehouse was a nuisance changing glasses all
the time.

It's also worth the extra money to get the anti-glare treatment, so that
it's easier to read without glare from your reading lamp, and it reduces
night glare while driving.

Also, the progressive lenses (no line bi- or tri-focals) are the only way to
go. The samples I tried with the lines made me more motion sick than I
usually am.

Good luck!

--
Royce
A day hemmed in prayer is less likely to unravel.

Old July 13th 03, 02:45 AM
taria

Costco does a great job for good prices.
Taria

Pat in Virginia wrote:

Royce:
With so many people raving about how much they like the
Transitions I am tempted to try them next time out. BUT ... the
place I checked said the Transitions were about $250-270 (??)
*additional* charge. SInce I already had the expense of the
frames and the no line bifocal lens I declined. If I shop around
can I expect to find much better prices? Thanks.
PAT ion VA/USA

Royce wrote:

Get them! They are worth every cent. I would never get another pair of
glasses without it. I've had them for about 10 years.

Originally, I got them because I was working for a grower, and going in &
out of the greenhouse to the warehouse was a nuisance changing glasses all
the time.

It's also worth the extra money to get the anti-glare treatment, so that
it's easier to read without glare from your reading lamp, and it reduces
night glare while driving.

Also, the progressive lenses (no line bi- or tri-focals) are the only way to
go. The samples I tried with the lines made me more motion sick than I
usually am.

--
Please visit my web page at:
http://home1.gte.net/res0yk6g/taria/index.htm