Suggestion, PLEASE!~

Old September 24th 05, 06:58 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

Default Suggestion, PLEASE!~

ALL of you/us who received Nora's email offlist about Stella's comfortaghan,
PLEASE, reply to *sender* ONLY, rather than the entire mass emailed group.
Also, Nora, PLEASE, do NOT include me in the TO or even CC section of any
mass emailings... put me in the BCC.
TIA,
Noreen
who admittedly is a trifle miffed about this one.

--
If ignorance is bliss. . .
then why aren't there more

Old September 24th 05, 07:33 PM
Anna MCM

Noreen's Knit*che wrote:
ALL of you/us who received Nora's email offlist about Stella's comfortaghan,
PLEASE, reply to *sender* ONLY, rather than the entire mass emailed group.
Also, Nora, PLEASE, do NOT include me in the TO or even CC section of any
mass emailings... put me in the BCC.

A thumb rule for everyone sending a message to many people at the same
time is to put everyone on BCC and his/her own address in the TO.

In orther to know other recipients' name one can begin the message with
"Dear A, B, C, D, etc"

This in order to avoid the spreading of viruses and trojans. These bugs
search for e-mail addresses on the hard disk and then spread to these
addresses.
I have very warm friendship feelings to everyone here and I am very
grateful to Nora's work.
Unfortunately I can't know the level of security of everyone's computer
(expecially PCs, Macs suffer much less from viruses), if they use a good
antivirus and updated antivirus program, a firewall, and so and so on...
So, this is a technical matter, not a friendship related one.
Hope no one takes it the wrong way, since it's not meant to offend anyone.

Hugs,

Anna Maria

Old September 24th 05, 07:55 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

"Anna MCM" wrote in message

Noreen's Knit*che wrote:
[...]

Thank you, Anna Maria!
I have REPEATEDLY asked that ppl. put me in the BCC, but they just don't do
it....
I'm going to have to abandon a perfectly good email address because of this
one...
Hugs,
Noreen

Old September 24th 05, 08:39 PM
Karen in MN

Noreen's Knit*che wrote:
[...]

Just an FYI -- if anyone has your address in their address book, it's a lot
more dangerous than if they include you in a bcc or a cc or a TO field
(except that bcc-ing it will keep the other recipients from knowing your
email address if they don't already have it in their book, and keep it from
being added). It's easier for a bot to find an address there than in your
emails, because some of the viruses/spyware/trojans target that file
specifically. Example, if I have Noreen's and Nora's and Cher's addresses
in my book and I happen to be infected, it's almost a moot point if I email
them with a bcc or cc or TO, because something will go for my address book
before it starts botting incoming emails. Anna Maria is right, no one knows
what anyone else's security level is set up like. But so far, I have not
had any viruses or other unintentional mailings from anyone on RCTY, so I'm
guessing most people here are usenet-savvy and computer-savvy enough to
provide for protection.

Old September 24th 05, 09:46 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

"Karen in MN" ask.me.for.my.email.address wrote in message
t...

Noreen's Knit*che wrote:
[...]

Precisely why I don't use the Windows address book at all, Karen!
I've been using the Secure Address Book for 5 years, and love it. It is
unbreakable!
JM2C,
Noreen

Old September 24th 05, 10:06 PM
The Jonathan Lady

"Noreen's Knit*che" wrote in message
ALL of you/us who received Nora's email offlist about Stella's

comfortaghan,
PLEASE, reply to *sender* ONLY, rather than the entire mass emailed group.
Also, Nora, PLEASE, do NOT include me in the TO or even CC section of any
mass emailings... put me in the BCC.
TIA,
Noreen
who admittedly is a trifle miffed about this one.

I'll jump on the bandwagon with Noreen as I also prefer that people use BCC
for email address lists. If any of you should choose to forward her message
on to someone else, then please remove all the email addresses first. Also,
I think Nora's message should have been taken out of all the responses as I
don't like waiting for the download of a picture I've already seen.

--
Jan in MN

Old September 24th 05, 10:07 PM
Els van Dam

In article , "Karen in MN"
[...]

Karen, do you work on a Mac.

If or when you indeed work on an Apple computer, it is very seldom or
never that you will pick up a virus. Macs on the whole use totally
different software. Most viruses are aimed at Microsoft created
software. PC are Microsoft software useres. The funny people who create
all this mischief, do so on PC. That will leave the Mac users out.

I just think when you are passing on a message you alsways use one address
at the time. It is just good computer use manners. Now having said that,
we are just in the baby shoes of learning all the rules, so soner or later
it will all come together.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone and be "cool" in more ways than one.....:=))

Els
Old September 24th 05, 10:21 PM
David Sky

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005, Noreen's Knit*che wrote:

Precisely why I don't use the Windows address book at all, Karen!
I've been using the Secure Address Book for 5 years, and love it. It is
unbreakable!
JM2C,
Noreen

Noreen,

I'm still connected to the net via my DOS computer (!!), will
probably be
getting a new (to me) Windows computer from a friend within the next few
weeks.

What's the difference between the Windows addy book and a secure one, and
how can one get the secure one? And in what way is it 'unbreakable'?

Cheers

David

Old September 24th 05, 10:26 PM
Shillelagh

"Noreen's Knit*che" wrote in message
Precisely why I don't use the Windows address book at all, Karen!
I've been using the Secure Address Book for 5 years, and love it. It is
unbreakable!
JM2C,
Noreen

Noreen, I along with many others, I'm sure, use Outlook Express for my
e-mail software. When sending e-mails in OE, there is NO provision for
bcc's, only cc's. If you use a firewall and a good anti-virus, you
shouldn't have a problem. I'm fortunate in that my ISP has provided
free-of-charge to their customers, Zone Alarm's complete Security Suite, and
it works well. I know that Zone Alarm also provides a free firewall for the
downloading. Perhaps you could/should look into something like this.

Shelagh

Old September 24th 05, 11:37 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

Strange, Shelagh, I use OE, and DO have BCC...
Noreen

--
If ignorance is bliss. . .
then why aren't there more