Question

Old April 12th 05, 11:22 PM
Els van Dam

In article , B
wrote:

This sounds like the technique I use for crocheting with two or more
colours. However, it doesn't have "each one showing on one side only"
as Norma said. The colours are the same on both sides. For instance,
if I crochet a white flower on a blue ground, the flower will be white
on both sides.

I have used this technique also with double crochet and with work that
was worked back and forth, not just circular.

By the way, Els, the other day I forgot to turn off the gas on my
stove. There was a pot lid sitting on top of the very low flame, and a
cotton potholder on top of the pot lid. After about 20 minutes, my
husband smelled something burning and discovered the problem. The
potholder was charred black, but it didn't burst into flame! The
potholder was the first thing I ever crocheted about 3 years ago, and
I was sorry to lose it, even it it wasn't a masterpiece.

Hi Barbara,

Sorry that you lost your pot holder. Great that it did not caught fire.
I sounds though that the cotton was not directly touched by the flame, and
it scorched the fiber but did not burn it I would think that you are very
lucky.

After we had the last discussin here about cotton being flammable, I did a
test and lost my old oven mitt. It caught fire with a whoosh.

BTW. I now have a little sign by the stove asking me to make sure that I
have turned the stove off. It is so easy to forget, when you are walking
back and forth while cooking.

Els

--
hate spam not welcome
Old April 13th 05, 03:08 AM
norma woods

Well!! I've come to the conclusion that I was dreaming the technique! LOL
It must have been double knitting, although I don't remember it being that,
'cause I know how to do that one. Anyway, I guess I'll put it down to either
dreams or brain cramps.

--
Star love,
Norma

Old April 13th 05, 03:54 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Norma , you make me remember something , i am sure i knitted something
like that AGES ago ,,, must think about it ,,, [ only first coffe and
still drawsy ,]
mirjam

| On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 09:04:57 -0400, "norma woods" wrote:

Somehow, I remember this technique was in stripes of two colours, but not
double knitted.. Oh well, maybe someday I will come across it again. Thanks
anyway.

Vertical stripes? Like a tight corrugated ribbing, maybe?

Helen "Halla" Fleischer, Fantasy & Fiber Artist
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/
Balticon Art Program Coordinator http://www.balticon.org

Old April 13th 05, 05:12 AM
Carey N.

Norma,
Could you possibly be thinking of the stitch that uses a double-ended
crochet hook? I believe it is referred to as Cro-hooking or Cro-knit and is
a different version of afghan stitch(Tunisian crochet). The following link
gives a quick set of directions, in the second half of the first block.
http://www.villagefair.com/knit2toge...n_cro_hook.htm
--
Carey in MA

"norma woods" wrote in message
.. .
A while back someone posted a site to show how to knit or crochet with two
colours and have each one show on one side only. Hopefully you can follow
what I mean. Anyway, could you post it again? I thought at the time, how
neat. Now, I'd like to learn how.

Old April 13th 05, 06:19 AM
Richard Eney

In article ,
norma woods wrote:
Well!! I've come to the conclusion that I was dreaming the technique! LOL
It must have been double knitting, although I don't remember it being that,
'cause I know how to do that one. Anyway, I guess I'll put it down to either
dreams or brain cramps.

I think maybe you were remembering a book I saw. I think it's just titled
_Reversible Color Knitting_ but I can't remember the author's name. It's
a woman but it's not Barbara Walker or Mary Thomas or Zimmermann or
Swansen or any of the usual. It's all kind of patterns that are done with
two or sometimes three colors and all of them are reversible. Some make
the same pattern and some make different patterns, and at least one is
plain on one side and striped on the other. Also one is striped
horizontally on one side and vertically on the other side.

Another possibility is the Beverly Royce method of double knitting
on two dpns, done using slip stitches instead of using both yarns
at once. (She got it from Mary Thomas but developed it more.)

=Tamar
Old April 13th 05, 09:15 AM
B Vaughan

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 22:08:23 -0400, "norma woods"
wrote:

Well!! I've come to the conclusion that I was dreaming the technique! LOL
It must have been double knitting, although I don't remember it being that,
'cause I know how to do that one. Anyway, I guess I'll put it down to either
dreams or brain cramps.

Somebody posted yesterday something about a double knitted bacy
blanket knitted by the wife of President Hoover. I think this might be
the knitting technique you were looking for. There were three
different variations, one identical on both sides, one with
alternating stripes of colors, and one with different colors on each
side.

I seem to remember that one of Elizabeth Zimmerman's books also had
this technique, maybe her Almanac?

As for the crochet equivalent, I've never heard of one.

--
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.

Old April 13th 05, 12:32 PM
norma woods

ok, thanks Mirjam.

Old April 13th 05, 12:35 PM
norma woods

I think it might have been done by knitting into the back of the stitch?
Again, I was probably dreaming.

Old April 13th 05, 12:37 PM
norma woods

thanks Barbara, I'm at a loss to explain this one. LOL I would have sworn
that someone here posted a link to what I'm talking about, but like I said,
I was probably dreaming.