Welcome Vaecordia

Old March 10th 10, 12:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Saucymauve

Default introducing ourselves to Vaecordia and Marian WelcomeVaecordia

On Mar 9, 5:42*pm, Tia Mary wrote:
* *Tia Mary here in Magnoliaville (aka Cumming, GA) about 50 miles north
of the airport in the almost foothills of the Appalachian Mtns. *I do
most crafts that require some sort of needle and fiber. *I'll do just
about any type of needlework and am currently taking knitting classes.
I am a professional seamstress and do a bit of model stitching now and
again.
* *Married for a bazillion years, one DD who had given me one SMDGD, two
GranDogs and we gave her Cheeto the kitten from hell. *DH and I have
three cats who don't get along, a huge yard and I hate gardening, we
love to travel and are just waiting until he retires and we move back to
Lizard Land (aka Arizona) so that we can get another doggie.
* * That's enough for now. * Hard to believe isn't it?!?!? *CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^

Nice to meet you Tia!
Old March 10th 10, 12:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Saucymauve

Default Welcome Vaecordia

On Mar 9, 5:30*pm, MargW wrote:
Vaecordia wrote:
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

So tell us more about yourself....

Cheryl

Hi all! *And thanks for the welcome. *From what I have seen this has to
be ond of the friendliest newsgroups around. *A rare thing these days..

Lets see.. what can I say...

Like I mentioned in the other thread, I'm an intermittently obsessive
stitcher. *Cross stitch mostly. *Although I do a bit of sewing when the
mood hits. *As much as my mother would dearly love it, I just don't have
the interest in knitting or crochet at all. *Used to do a lot of glass
paint pieces too, but my wrist can't take the outlining anymore.

I'm east coast Canadian, a Newfie Girl. * *One significant other, one
gigantic orange cat, and two black moor fishies. *Work in health education.

Just to fill me in, perhaps everyone else could re-introduce themselves?

thanks,
Vae.

Excellent - lots of us 'northern' folks here.

MargW
(in Picton, Ontario)- Hide quoted text -

Please to meet you Marg
Old March 10th 10, 02:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 3/9/10 1:55 PM, "Nancy" wrote:

On Mar 9, 1:01�pm, Susan Hartman wrote:
Next?

Hello from Pittsburgh. While not the snow "capitol" we came
close this year. The snow is receeding here too but we're
awaiting what is expected to be lots of flooding. We keep
hoping for those below freezing nights and very little rain.

LOL - you bring to mind a clear memory of when I was invited up for a couple
of days to interview with the groups in the Mech Eng dept at CMU (in Pgh)
for grad school. I was in undergrad in Miami - of truly fine weather. This
was IIRC March in Pgh - a bit grim, but not awful, awful. One of the guys,
who would become my officemate the next year, and was the perfect lure (as
in handsome, really smart, and a bit offbeat) said "yeah, well the good
thing is the weather sucks so you'll get plenty of time to study." Needless
to say, the next fall - in very early November there was a huge snowfall,
and as I trudged across campus to my parking place I kept muttering - "so,
10 weeks ago - sandals, shorts, now hip deep, mutter,mutter......" And of
course, in the spring, the week after I had the snow tires removed it
snowed, a goodly amount - April 17th. Honestly, I loved living in Pgh, and
would consider going back - except the weather really does stink.

I stick mostly to counted cross stitch but in the past have
done plain embroidery (in Girl Scouts), latch hook rugs,
crewel and last year I did my first counted canvas work.
A SAL with folks from RCTN. I think I've been doing
xs about 30 years but got serious about it again about
6 years ago. Lots of "unfinished" finishes in the box.

I'm currently working on a factal "bookmark" but given
as it's a lot of solid stiching I"ll probably pick up a
smaller project in the next few days for a break.

I'm a retired computer programmer who made my way
to Texas and SoCal and returned to my roots in Pittsburgh
about 7 1/2 years ago. All the better to root for my
Penguins.

Bah, humbug - fie on the Penguins (r,d,h)

Nancy

Ellice - who used to be a Pens fan, but, well, life evolves

Old March 10th 10, 03:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
MargW

MargW wrote:
Vaecordia wrote:
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

[...]

replying to my own message since I missed the part about identifying
ourselves.

Retired, working a couple of days at a part-time volunteer job at the
maritime archives, and when the weather is better, I'll get out in my
garden.

I've been stitching off and on since about 1970, but really seriously
since 1985 when friends introduced me to cross stitch. I have about
125+ pieces in my database of completed work - and there are a fair
number that I've forgotten about. I do needlepoint, cross-stitch,
pulled thread, pattern darning, and have just recently started to learn
gold work (a EAC basic course).

When not stitching, I play trivia games on the computer, garden, ride my
motorcycle, work on family history, cook, etc.

MargW
Old March 10th 10, 02:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Nancy

On Mar 9, 9:40�pm, ellice wrote:
On 3/9/10 1:55 PM, �"Nancy" wrote:

[...]

Ah, I remember that November snowfall. It took me an hour to get
down the hill from work (not even 1/4 mi) and probably another hour
to get up the hill and home once I crossed the river from
Harmarville.
It's said Pgh has as many cloudy days as Seattle. Of course once
snow season is over....pothole season rears its ugly head. And you
never take off snow tires....till May.

I did see a crocus ready to bloom this morning.

Nancy, grateful to not be in a flood prone area as this looks like
it could be a bad year. 3-4 feet of snow still in the mtns and temps
in the 50s through the weekend with rain.
Old March 10th 10, 07:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 3/10/10 9:27 AM, "Nancy" wrote:

On Mar 9, 9:40�pm, ellice wrote:
On 3/9/10 1:55 PM, �"Nancy" wrote:

[...]

Again, LOL. I lived in Squirrel Hill, up a hill, then turn, up another hill
- all old brick/cobbled roads. There were definitely some times when the
car was not going up those roads, so I'd park down on the main drag and hike
up. Next year I moved from my attic apt to a renovated pre-WWII building
that was only a block from Schenley park. With much snow, not worth trying
to pull the car out. There were several of us from the same dept living
within a block, and infamously we would cross country ski thru the park
(just under 2 mi, IIRC) to get to our building on campus. Just easier, and
more fun. PGH definitely has a big share of grey, icy days, but it is a
pleasant city. After that April snow, I learned not to take off the tires
til May - no one had warned me.

I did see a crocus ready to bloom this morning.

Nancy, grateful to not be in a flood prone area as this looks like
it could be a bad year. 3-4 feet of snow still in the mtns and temps
in the 50s through the weekend with rain.

It's pretty sunny here, though cool - in the 50s - and we still have
unmelted snow in parts of the yard. But, Cousin It, our very full dwarf
weeping pussy willow is starting to show some buds. Argh. I'm thinking we
may really have to get some professional help with the yard. Our lawn is
very mucky right now, and doesn't smell right to me. But, we'll see.

Ellice

Old March 10th 10, 08:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Nancy

On Mar 10, 2:03�pm, ellice wrote:

Again, LOL. �I lived in Squirrel Hill, up a hill, then turn, up another hill
- all old brick/cobbled roads. �There were definitely some times when the
car was not going up those roads, so I'd park down on the main drag and hike

There's a reason it's called Squirrel Hill. :-)

It's pretty sunny here, though cool - in the 50s - and we still have
unmelted snow in parts of the yard. But, Cousin It, our very full dwarf
weeping pussy willow is starting to show some buds. �Argh. �I'm thinking we
may really have to get some professional help with the yard. �Our lawn is
very mucky right now, and doesn't smell right to me. �But, we'll see.

We actually made it over the 60 degree mark. I looked outside
and our next door neighbor's pussy willow is showing buds too.
And I think the forsythia too. We're going to hear lots of chain
saws going this spring. The grass....well is kinda flattened after
30+ inches of snow. And the "shadier" areas and the places I
"threw" the snow from the driveway still have anywhere from a
inch to a couple feet of snow. Oh, and while I don't actually live
"in the city" the mayor has already declared a state of emergency
in anticipation of flooding.

Nancy
Old March 10th 10, 11:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 3/10/10 2:18 PM, "Karen C - Calif" wrote:

ellice wrote:
may really have to get some professional help with the yard. Our lawn is
very mucky right now, and doesn't smell right to me. But, we'll see.

You have ten tons of yellow snow melting all at once. Melt = mucky,
yellow snow = doesn't smell right.

LOL - all the snow wasn't yellow - it's actually pretty white. I just think
it did some weird mulch/muck thing. That said, in the back yard where it
was quite solidly deep, as that has melted, there's a funny collection of
Puckster lump deposits scattered about - well, not so scattered. It's the
front, where he doesn't take his relief, so to speak, that is really mucky.

Oh, well.

Ellice

Old March 11th 10, 05:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

And my turn

I'm Cheryl in southern NH. I knit and do all sort of needlework - I'd love
to learn to do more pulled and cut work, but there's still time. I'm also a
hockey Mom and hockey fan. Married more years than I care to think about
sometimes.

I collect floss, charts and ladybugs. I also garden.

My children are Dson - age 17, a goalie, HS senior and he just got his first
college acceptance. Ddaughter is 11, hormonal and is in 6th grade. She's a
hockey player and plays for two teams - her middle school team and with a
U12 Girls team. (a side brag - her middle school team just won the division
championship)

Cheryl