Foams

Old March 20th 09, 03:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
SteveB[_8_]

Default Foams

I want to make a bench seat for a boat. I want to cover it with Sunbrella.
Just put piping around the edge, and wrap the canvas around the foam and
staple it under the plywood base. What type of foam would be best to use
for outdoor application. No direct sunshine, but lots of heat, and getting
wet and drying out. Something that won't turn to dust.

Steve

Old March 20th 09, 08:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Val

There is foam made just for marine upholstery applications. Your best bet is
to Google 'marine upholstery supplies'. There's lots of mail order places
but with luck you just might find a store near you. You need a foam that
will drain or not hold water and is mildew resistant. I'd also suggest
drilling a few holes in the plywood so you can have a little better
circulation.

a for instance: http://www.garysupholstery.com/uphol...m.html#outdoor

Val

Old April 28th 09, 11:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
PatTX

SteveB wrote:
:: I want to make a bench seat for a boat. I want to cover it with
:: Sunbrella. Just put piping around the edge, and wrap the canvas
:: around the foam and staple it under the plywood base. What type of
:: foam would be best to use for outdoor application. No direct
:: sunshine, but lots of heat, and getting wet and drying out.
:: Something that won't turn to dust.
::
:: Steve

There is a place not too far from where I live called the Larry Dennis
company (north Texas). Maybe they have a website. They sell all kinds of
things for upholstering and fixing boats.

Oh, here it is: http://larrydennis.com/marine/default.asp

This is a great place!

Pat