Question about earrings and weight

Old March 11th 07, 02:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay
Martha

Default Question about earrings and weight

Hi all, I have a question about earring weight, or lack thereof. I've made
some cute earrings but the clay is so light when baked (specifically Premo)
that fish hook or French wires lift right out of the ear. I know I can get
those little rubber plugs to put on the earwires, or use a different wire,
but the earrings still lift up and they don't hang correctly. I haven't made
earrings out of other clays yet but I can't imagine it's any different.

I can't figure out a good way to add weight to a plain clay earring unless I
put a backing on the earring and sandwich a piece of metal in between.

Anybody got a better idea? Thanks,

Martha

Old March 13th 07, 03:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay
Barbara Forbes-Lyons

Other than switching to post earrings or leverbacks, the only option
would be to use more clay or add weight in some way.

Barbara

Bead & Polymer Clay Votary

There is a very fine line between a hobby and mental illness. (Dave Barry)

http://www.penguintrax.com and http://www.backseatgrammarian.com
NEW! http://www.polymerclayworkshops.com
Old March 15th 07, 06:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay
Carla

I often use glass and metal along with my polyclay beads, plus I tend to
make fairly large earrings.

Cheers,
Carla

Old March 15th 07, 07:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay
Martha

Yup. Figured I'd have to start using something in addition, like glass. I'd
still like to figure out a way to weight the clay if the design calls for
just clay...

Martha

t...

Old March 15th 07, 10:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay
Deb Hayes

Martha--what shape earrings are you making? I was thinking of small or
larger BBs, or even lead shot. small size, heavy for its mass...those
wouldn't work for thin disk earrings, but for larger non-flat items, it
might work..what do you think?

Deb

Old March 16th 07, 08:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay
Martha

Hmm. So far I'm trying to figure out how to weight disc, or other flat
shapes, but I like the idea of lead. I'm not about to go out and buy a whole
box of ammo though and I don't know anybody who has a shotgun or a BB gun.

I'll be there's some kind of lead solder that comes in sheet form though.
Does anybody know about this? Maybe I can ask at a plumbing supply store or
something. I was going to try and find flat brass discs, etc., but lead
would require smaller pieces and could be cut more easily. Thanks for the
tip!

Martha

Old March 16th 07, 10:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay
Dicon[_2_]

"Martha" nospam @ nospam.com wrote in message
Hmm. So far I'm trying to figure out how to weight disc, or other flat
shapes, but I like the idea of lead. I'm not about to go out and buy a
whole box of ammo though and I don't know anybody who has a shotgun or a
BB gun.

I'll be there's some kind of lead solder that comes in sheet form though.
Does anybody know about this? Maybe I can ask at a plumbing supply store
or something. I was going to try and find flat brass discs, etc., but lead
would require smaller pieces and could be cut more easily. Thanks for the
tip!

Martha

Try a fishing supply shop for lead & non lead fishing weights.... maybe...

--
Jackdaw, collector of facts, trivia and bright twinkly things
my addy is

Old March 17th 07, 08:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay
Martha

Just thought of something - stained glass artists use lead foil type stuff.
Anybody know anything about that?Thanks.

Martha

news

Old March 18th 07, 04:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay
Barbara Forbes-Lyons

Thing is, you don't want lead to be in contact with skin, etc. Even on
dangly earrings it could be dangerous. Look at brass weights, etc. instead.

Martha wrote:
Just thought of something - stained glass artists use lead foil type stuff.
Anybody know anything about that?Thanks.

Martha

news

Old March 18th 07, 08:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay
Deb Hayes

True enough--I was thinking though, that the lead should be encased in PC.

just my $.02

Deb

Question on buying 2 earrings for each ear. Chiefhero Jewelry 4 October 24th 06 02:45 AM
question: how or whether to hide the clip-on parts of clip on earrings? [email protected] Beads 2 October 4th 05 11:33 PM
feather weight 221 jules Quilting 19 November 10th 03 02:56 PM
OT - Weight Loss Flossy Quilting 52 September 13th 03 12:22 AM
chain weight question m4816k Jewelry 0 August 9th 03 07:28 PM