How far is TOO far?

Old July 7th 06, 12:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jack Campin - bogus address

Default How far is TOO far?

www.starforestquilts.com
I would be happier with
calling these "quilts" if the scenes in the quilts were of fabric and
appliqued. I would greatly admire the maker for searching out just the
right fabrics and turning and manipulating the fabrics to make a scene
of this magnitude and intricacy. I realize searching out a beautiful
scene and photographing it properly is an art in itself, but..... is it
what we generally think of as making a quilt top? Running fabric thru
a computer- is *that* making a quilt top?

I mostly hang out on folk music forums, and on one of them we have
the catchword "Horse Alert!" which means we have a discussion on
"What Is Folk Music?" and somebody is *yet again* about to pull out
that Big Bill Broonzy quote about jazz, that it was folk music
because "I ain't heard no horse singin' it".

I see what you mean - though the only one I really like is the "fall
dogwood leaves" - but as somebody who has both used fabric paint on
a quilt and plays the electronic bagpipes, I can't really argue with
what they're doing.

Old July 7th 06, 01:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kellie J. Berger

had to think a while on this. To me... quilts are layers of cloth sewn
together and something to be used... if they are too
small/delicate/special/extraordinary to be used, then they fall into Ms.
Sairey's WUH category... or wall hangings or textile art And all of that
would be in the eye of the beholder and/or maker grin i.e. If the result
is just a picture on fabric with only a little stitching to hold it
together, *I* wouldn't consider it a quilt, but art. If it is a picture on
fabric with wonderful quilting stitches that add to the effect and make it
whole... I would have to decide upon seeing it in person (not much help
there, eh?)

That said... these look to be fabric that she designed (by reproducing
photographs) and then pieced together... so they aren't really whole cloth -
or not all of them are.
Is transferring photographs onto cloth all that different from hand dying or
stamping as they do in batiks or painting fabric to get your own desired
results?

I think this is telling me i need to design my own fabric and make some
quilted pieces to decide for myself! may have to wait til the kids are
back in school so i have time to sink into the paints and dyes....

Kellie
btw, I like her pieces but there weren't many i would want to snuggle under.
i would be afraid of ruining most of them.

"Leslie & The Furbabies in MO." wrote in message
oups.com...
First, please check out this link-

www.starforestquilts.com

Pat on her hill sent the link to me. The quilts are fabulous- just
gorgeous, BUT.... how far is too far??? I would be happier with
calling these "quilts" if the scenes in the quilts were of fabric and
appliqued. I would greatly admire the maker for searching out just the
right fabrics and turning and manipulating the fabrics to make a scene
of this magnitude and intricacy. I realize searching out a beautiful
scene and photographing it properly is an art in itself, but..... is it
what we generally think of as making a quilt top? Running fabric thru
a computer- is *that* making a quilt top?

I appreciate the quiltmakers who stretch their quiltmaking to the
limits and are always looking for something new and different. But at
the same time I have a problem with using printing and painting and
some other techniques. For me quiltmaking means piecing or appliquing-
with fabric- a quilt should have pictures that are appliqued if you
want a face or a flower or a scene- not printed or painted. (I know
"embellishments" have been around forever- where do you draw the
line???) Painting a flower on a piece of fabric and then quilting it
just doesn't seem like a "quilt" to me- altho if it has the layers and
the quilt stitching, I guess it's technically a type of whole cloth
quilt. And some fabric artists take raggedy chunks of fabric and toss
them together and call that a quilt- it's just not what I expect in a
"quilt".

*IF* you were The Honorary Quilt Police for a day how would you define
"A Quilt"? What would be a process or "substance" which would put it
over the edge? What are the basic "requirements" to define a
"quilt"??? Where does quiltmaking end and "textile artist" begin?

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old July 7th 06, 02:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther

Default Guild members 80% and 20% grammar

On behalf's of the Grammar's Police, you apology are accept with
stiperlation. First, you are go write on blackboard's 100 times, "I be not
using proposition to end sentence's with." Polly (That was such fun I may
do it again some time. Bet it just curdles our Pats.)

"frood" wrote, in part and I want to help out so it continues to be an
organization I'm proud to be a part of.
(ok, Grammar Police, sorry about that sentence!)

Old July 7th 06, 04:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Teacher Gal

Polly wrote:

On behalf's of the Grammar's Police, you apology are accept with
stiperlation. First, you are go write on blackboard's 100 times, "I be
not using proposition to end sentence's with." Polly (That was such fun
I may do it again some time. Bet it just curdles our Pats.)

And on behalf of the resident linguists in the house....

ouch.

Although I tend to side with those who note that we've been ending sentences
with prepositions for centuries. I can recall some uses in the 1300's that
contained horrific grammar errors by our modern standards (and by their
Middle English ones as well)!

:-)

Anastasia

--who got a bit done on the quilted purse yesterday, and cut a few pieces
for her nephew's Minkee quilt, too!

Old July 7th 06, 06:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in Idaho

Some of the most beautiful quilts I have ever seen are made by Hollis
Chatelain. She paints wonderful scenes (a lot of them African) and then
quilts them. They are absolutely gorgeous.

Donna in Idaho

Old July 7th 06, 07:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Ugh! That's like fingernails on a blackboard!
I could forgive the 'prop' for 'prep'; even the 'with' at the end; but
those apostrophes - eek!

..
In message . net, Polly
Esther writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old July 7th 06, 08:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jessamy

it looks like the standard foreign language translated into English by a non
native English speaker style to me - it gets worse when it's the "English"
teacher doing this shudder

--
Jessamy
In The Netherlands

Old July 7th 06, 01:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
witchystitcher

One way I teach my students to proofread is to have them illustrate
sentences than can be interpreted in silly ways in their own writings
or commercial writings. One of my favorites was a letter written after
a presentation on origami.

"Last night I made origami birds with my friends. When we were all
done I hung them from the ceiling."

Old July 7th 06, 03:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Default Guild members Long Arm vs Regular SM WAS How far is TOOfar?

Well, Sandy, that is easily remedied!
The SHOW committee makes the rules, and
it can exclude quilts. Example: 'No
quilts that have won awards at major
shows will be included in the
competition. They may be hung in a
section for exhibition only.'
PAT

Sandy Foster wrote:

Wendy, I sympathize. We have a member who lives in the next state from
ours and is a nationally recognized long-arm quilter with many awards
and appearances on TV shows under her belt. She's also a spokesperson
for one brand of long-arm machine. She enters some of the same quilts
that have already taken national awards into our local show. Her stuff
is gorgeous, but I don't think it's fair of her to deprive someone less
well-known from enjoying a ribbon or two, especially since these quilts
have already been in far more prestigious shows than ours and since the
quilter attends absolutely *no* events here.