Chicken Little and i before e

Old April 19th 04, 03:19 AM
Polly Esther

Default Chicken Little and i before e

While you folks were playing with i before e (or not and I just hate I
missed all that), I was having the greatest time quilting. Pure, don't you
think? When we went to the Pensacola quilt show, we came home with Chicken
Little Squares (blocks about 7" sort of square). It is by Jean Ray Laury for
Free Spirit and I see it at Big Horn if you have time to take a look.
The blocks are precious and begged me to make it mine. I managed to make
one chicken extremely long skinny legged and make a double block by putting
two together horizontally with a bit of satin stitch to cover the oops where
they wouldn't match up. I've added a strip of polka dots here and some
checkerboard there. Wildest quilt I ever made.
This one is going to make a little Linus guy smile - but only after I
get over breaking my arm patting myself on the back. Hot dog, this print was
fun. Go look. Polly

Old April 19th 04, 03:59 AM
Denise Jameson

Would love to see Polly!!! Got a link?
Thanks.

Denise in Ontario, Canada

Old April 19th 04, 01:41 PM
David & Barbara Schmidt

As most of you already know, a couple of months ago I was blessed to
recieve a closetful of fabric from a friend. I am finally getting to a
point where I am going to put some of it away. It has been stacked on
our Dining Room table all of this time.

When I received the fabric it had this overwhelming smell of moth balls.
A lot of it has aired out, but there is still some smell.

I was going to wash all of the cottons today, but much of this is silk.
Is there a way to wash it? I can't really afford to take it to the
cleaners.

Some if this I am keeping, but some of it I have taken pictures of and
was going to put them on a webshots page and ask for a little bit of
money. I can't set up an e-bay page and don't want to mess with that
anyway. I was going to ask about a dollar a yard for the cotton and 2
for the silk, plus postage. I just thought I'd try to make a little bit
of money, I have no idea what this stuff is really worth. Maybe I'll go
check e-bay to get a better idea.

As far as the silk- should I just warn ya'll that it smells like moth
balls and let whoever buys it deal with it? There is a piece I want to
keep for myself, so any ideas on washing would be appreciated.

BTW this weekend my mom is giving me a dresser full of old fabric. At
least I know that it's all cotton and knits.

Babs

Old April 19th 04, 01:59 PM
David & Barbara Schmidt

I did go and look at E-bay, the silks that sold the best seemed to be
anywhere between 2.50 and 5.00 a yard. So i'll average that and ask for
$3 a yard on the silks.

Babs

Old April 19th 04, 02:16 PM
KJ

If you don't have any pressing plans for the silk, you might hem the edges
of a piece and throw it in the washer and see what happens! It might be
wonderful. Then you could see if the mothball smell is gone.

--
Kathyl
remove "nospam-" before mchsi

Old April 19th 04, 02:48 PM
Julia in MN

I have successfully washed silk blouses, both in the washer and by hand,
using cool water and a mild detergent, and hanging to dry. It would
probably be okay to dry in the dryer at a low temp if you aren't worried
about shrinkage. Watch out for colors running, though.

Julia in MN

http://mail.chartermi.net/~jaccola/

Old April 19th 04, 02:56 PM
NightMist

Since I have a mean and hungry washing machine, I bag silks before
tossing them in with a bit of woolwash or similar soap and wash them
gentle cool. A bit of vinegar in the rinse is helpful as well. For a
piece of fabric smaller than several yards I might fraycheck the raw
edges, depending on the weave.

NightMist

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 07:41:33 -0500, David & Barbara Schmidt
wrote:

[...]

"It's such a gamble when you get a face"
- Richard Hell
Old April 19th 04, 04:10 PM
Lizzy Taylor

David & Barbara Schmidt wrote:

I was going to wash all of the cottons today, but much of this is silk.
Is there a way to wash it? I can't really afford to take it to the
cleaners.

Gentlest wash cycle, cool water and detergent designed for wool or silk.
DO NOT use a biological detergent containing enzymes - these will eat
away at the silk protein.

For ironing you can get away with a hot iron - I colour set my silk
scarves on a cotton setting, however YMMV, so test on a corner first. I
do find that the dye colours can change when hot, but revert to normal
once they cool down.

HTH

Lizzy
--
Lizzy Taylor
Heywood, Lancashire, UK 53:36:00N 2:06:00E

Old April 19th 04, 04:32 PM
Polly Esther

I carefully machine washed and dried a length of silk dupioni. It is a
little limp but other that that, is still lovely. Polly

.. .

Old April 19th 04, 04:48 PM
Lizzy Taylor

Polly Esther wrote:
I carefully machine washed and dried a length of silk dupioni. It is a
little limp but other that that, is still lovely. Polly

Agreed it *does* change the hadn of the stiffer silks, but if you wash
the fabric before making it up into something you can be confident that
the hand won't change significantly with further careful laundering.

Lizzy