Shops in Boston area?

Old October 6th 04, 01:30 AM
Elyse Grasso

Default Shops in Boston area?

Last winter I spent several months in Minneapolis, where I was spoiled
by the availability of Stitchville USA.

And there are quilting shops and needlework shops all over the place
near my home in Colorado.

This year I have a consulting gig in the Boston area (living in
Malden, working in North Quincy) and the lack of needlework and craft
shops in the local phone books is depressing. Am I going to be limited
to Michaels, Jo-Ann and mail-order? Or is it just the phone books that
are lame?

Thanks

--
Elyse
Old October 6th 04, 01:52 AM
Dr. Brat

Elyse Grasso wrote:

This year I have a consulting gig in the Boston area (living in
Malden, working in North Quincy) and the lack of needlework and craft
shops in the local phone books is depressing. Am I going to be limited
to Michaels, Jo-Ann and mail-order? Or is it just the phone books that
are lame?

The phone books are lame. Try Cross Stitch Unlimited on Mass Ave in
Arlington, Needlepoint of Backbay at 125 Newbury St (there's another
needlepoint nearby but it's not as good), B.F.Goodstitch on Front Street
in Salem, or A World in Stitches in Littleton.

Elizabeth in Salem, MA
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Old October 6th 04, 02:49 AM
Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply

From: (Elyse Grasso)

........ This year I have a consulting gig in the Boston area (living in
Malden, working in North Quincy) and the lack of needlework and craft
shops in the local phone books is depressing. Am I going to be limited
to Michaels, Jo-Ann and mail-order? Or is it just the phone books that
are lame? .........

About 2 hours north of Boston is Keepsake quilting, a **wonderful** quilt
shop. Here's the link
http://www.keepsakequilting.com I DO recommend that
you make the trek up there for a visit. When Dh and I were in NH for the
"Stealth Sled Ride", we drove up to the shop and I just went crazy :-)! By
now, they should have their needlework shop open in the same little shopping
area.
It *is* a drive from Boston but it is well worht it IMNSHO! It's a fairly
easy drive and woulld make a great day trip on the weekend! CiaoMeow ^;;^
..

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ Queen of Kitties
Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about their
WHISKERS!!
Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!
Online Photos at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary
Old October 6th 04, 04:52 AM
Felice Friese

"Dr. Brat" wrote in message
Elyse Grasso wrote:

This year I have a consulting gig in the Boston area (living in
Malden, working in North Quincy) and the lack of needlework and craft
shops in the local phone books is depressing. Am I going to be limited
to Michaels, Jo-Ann and mail-order? Or is it just the phone books that
are lame?

The phone books are lame. Try Cross Stitch Unlimited on Mass Ave in
Arlington, Needlepoint of Backbay at 125 Newbury St (there's another
needlepoint nearby but it's not as good), B.F.Goodstitch on Front Street
in Salem, or A World in Stitches in Littleton.

Elizabeth in Salem, MA

And if you're cruisin' around the countryside while you're here, you'll
enjoy visits to The Sampler in Plymouth and Town-Ho in Brewster (on Cape
Cod).

Felice

Old October 6th 04, 05:01 AM
Meredith

Looks like Elizabeth's pretty much covered everything stitch-related.
"The Fabric Place" in Woburn (exit 36 off I95) is a wonderful fabric
store and also has a good selection of yarn. In terms of chain stores,
there's a Michaels in Everett just off of Rte. 16 past the Wellington T
station and an A.C. Moore in Woburn off of I95, exit 35.

I've been living in Medford Square for the past 2 years - email me if
there's anything else I can help with!

Meredith

Old October 6th 04, 12:59 PM
Mary Murphy

There is also a "Fabric Place" in Randolph, rt.139, first exit off
Rt.24 south- about a 15 minute highway drive from N.Quincy. The
Sampler in Plymouth I highly recommend (not open Sundays or Mondays).
There is also a quilting store in Plymouth center about a 5-10 minute
walk away called Sew Crazy. PLymouth would make a wonderful Saturday
trip.
I hope you enjoy your stay in this area. Go Pats! and Go Sox!

Mary M

Old October 6th 04, 01:00 PM
Irene

Meredith wrote in message ...
...store and also has a good selection of yarn. In terms of chain stores,
there's a Michaels in Everett just off of Rte. 16 past the Wellington T
station and an A.C. Moore in Woburn off of I95, exit 35.

I've been living in Medford Square for the past 2 years - email me if
there's anything else I can help with

That AC Moore is the one that WAS in the Wellington Circle area of
Medford. Moved away in 2002 after the Michaels came in at Everett. I
liked ACMoore a lot better.

I went to BFGoodstitch most, but The World in Stitches is great if you
have a car.

Other places:

Woolcott and Co. in Harvard Square itself focuses mainly on knitting
but they used to sell Annabel Fox and other similar lines of
needlepoint and Paterna.

The Cross Stitch place on Mass Ave in Arlington is small but good when
you can't spare a whole day on the habit.

Irene
Old October 6th 04, 01:28 PM
Majmoxie

This year I have a consulting gig in the Boston area (living in
Malden, working in North Quincy) and the lack of needlework and craft
shops in the local phone books is depressing

I'd drive the hour north of Boston to Yankee Cross Stitch in North Hampton, NH.
Remember it's tax free shopping!

http://www.yankeecrossstitch.com/

They are not good about updating their website, but the directions are there.

Donna @ West Point

to view my blog - http://majtravaux.blogspot.brain.com/
remove brain

Boredom is a choice, not a circumstance.
Old October 6th 04, 03:19 PM
Meredith

I'm almost positive it opened before the fire in the Wellington one
closed that down. My boyfriend at the time lived in Woburn and we went
shopping that-a-ways lots, before I started grad school.

Meredith