Very OT. For the wine-drinkers!

Old October 5th 04, 05:32 PM
Pat EAXStitch

That old argument was tried years ago here, Sheena - I was one of those
against it myself. Now no-one thinks anything of Sunday opening - as a trip
to the supermarkets will confirm. It could, arguably, be a benefit in that
the families shop together, often as part of the return journey from a
family outing (and Dad and the kids are much more likely to see WHY they
can`t afford this or that!).

Most of the "humble clerks and shop assistants" are perfectly happy to be
working on Sunday, for various reasons. Many of the smaller retail outlets
rely on the "Family outings" for their livings (Farm shops, garden centres,
craft centres, etc.) It makes life easier and less rushed all round.

Pat P

"Lucretia Borgia" wrote in message
Sheena probably bluntly says
Yet!!! ..... and why not? We have to move forward to keep up with the
competition no matter what we're discussing. Just look at Nova Scotia

with
their totally absurd 'no shopping on Sunday' law - they're losing all

kinds
of tourist money ... but that's okay - they all cross the border to New
Brunswick and drop their money here.

Sharon (N.B.)

It isn't totally absurd. It has left us with a way of life that is
far nicer. I am not against SS on a religious basis but I do feel
that for the most humble clerks in retail, I do not want it.

Being realistic, they are unable to say they don't want to work
Sunday, but that is the last day left when a young family can
sometimes all be together. Giving that clerk Tuesday off is not the
same thing if the kids are in school and the partner working.

You can have the money in NB if you wish, I hope we shall retain that
family potential. In actual fact, there is only so much money that
is going to be spent, SS only spreads it over seven days instead of
six. I don't want to be ruled by the almighty buck and retail
merchants.

It really does not affect me, I can shop when I wish, which isn't
often. However, I do fear for the lowliest workers who have little to
protect them. I shall not vote for SS on the plebiscite.

Old October 5th 04, 05:35 PM
Karen C - California

In article , "Ruby Scott"
writes:

I can get out into my
neighbour hood and interact or keep to myself.

Well, then your neighborhood is different than those I've lived in. In the big
city, any stranger who knocks on the door is assumed to be a salesman or
planning to shove their religious beliefs down your throat, therefore, no one
EVER rings the doorbell to introduce themselves when they move in. You can
live in the same apartment for years and not know the names of any neighbor
other than the apartment manager.

One apartment, after nearly three years, the only one of the neighbors I knew
by name was the one the others called "The Busybody" -- she had dared to
violate the unwritten etiquette and had *gasp!* gone around to introduce
herself. What was so wrong about that? Well, after she said "Hi, I'm
Willah!", she dared to ask "what's your name?", and that violated their
privacy. They just *knew* she was going to run around and gossip about them to
everyone, so I was warned off talking to her before she'd even gotten a chance
to introduce herself to me. I didn't find her gossipy -- I found her
small-town friendly and a little lonely. But when the lady across the hall
caught me welcoming Willah into my apartment for a cup of tea, she snarled "Oh,
you're one of those gossips, too!" and after that refused to talk to me because
"you just want to gossip to that busybody what I'm up to, and it's none of your
business!!!" Despite her best ongoing efforts to make friends in the building,
the only apartment Willah ever got into was mine; no one else would talk to her
because they were suspicious why any stranger would want to talk to them except
to spread gossip or sell them something.

In this neighborhood, we do have front porches, but it's apparently a violation
of etiquette to have much more of a conversation than "Nice day!" with anyone
sitting on their porch. I've never once been invited to come up and sit on the
porch with them and have a nice long chat, and when I've done the inviting, the
resultant cringe shows they're expecting to have a catalogue shoved at them and
a sales pitch for Amway/Avon/Tupperware rather than a nice neighborly chat.

Anyway, on Sundays, one neighbor is sleeping off a hangover and doesn't want
guests, another couple have taken the dogs out for an all-day hike, and another
couple is enjoying cozy-couple time and don't want guests. We don't socialize
with the neighbors, and when one neighbor came up with the First Annual
Christmas Party, it was also the Last Annual Party because once we'd met the
neighbors, no one found it necessary to socialize with them again.

So, the only interacting done in this neighborhood on Sundays is achieved by
going to the grocery and asking "do you think this melon is ripe?"

--
Finished 9/24/04 - Quilt Show
WIP: Fireman's Prayer (#2), Amid Amish Life, Angel of Autumn, Calif Sampler,

Paralegal - Writer - Editor - Researcher
http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html
Old October 5th 04, 06:12 PM
Pat EAXStitch

Look at it the other way - if there`s no Sunday opening then hospitals
should be closed - there should be no accident or emergency services etc.,
etc., etc., no shift workers of any kind. I have several shift works in the
family, and they love it, having different times off when other people
don`t. It does spread the load in the shops, on the roads, etc.
Pat P

"Lucretia Borgia" wrote in message
Sheena probably bluntly says

"Lucretia Borgia" wrote
Sheena probably bluntly says
Yet!!! ..... and why not? We have to move forward to keep up with the
competition no matter what we're discussing. Just look at Nova Scotia

with
their totally absurd 'no shopping on Sunday' law - they're losing all

kinds
of tourist money ...

It isn't totally absurd. It has left us with a way of life that is
far nicer. I am not against SS on a religious basis but I do feel
that for the most humble clerks in retail, I do not want it.

Thankyou so much ! I work in a shop (UK), and we are expected to comply
with the Shopping Centre hours of opening.
An example....... Christmas Day & Boxing Day- (Sat & Sun) closed.
Monday & Tuesday (Official Bank Holiday) 9-5.30.
Jan 1st. (Official Bank Holiday) 9-5.30.
But of course the people who do *important* Monday to Friday jobs will

want
to go shopping after
their seasonal parties, won't they ?

I have been stressing that here. If there is to be SS then it should
be for everything - doctors, lawyers and particularly government
offices. Then watch for a heavy NO vote.

All the arguments for SS do not really cut bait. Some places are
looking to stop having shops open on a Sunday now, but once the Genie
is out of the bottle...

I worked for a photographer years ago and though I loved the job, I
hated that his studio was in a Shopping Centre. We had to open the
hours the centre was open and it was unrealistic for our business and
guess who got to be the one sitting there? Sympathies to you.

Old October 5th 04, 06:31 PM
Brenda

Various others have commented locally in response.

Brenda wrote:

I don't know that the ones in the US do either. If they do, I've never
seen it. I'm guessing the whole thing is just a funny.

OK, I've been thinking about it some more. I don't go to Wal-Mart often
so I could easily have missed it since it isn't likely to be near the
diapers or dog food. While Ohio doesn't do the state-run stores
anymore, there are various cities/townships/whatever that are still dry
around here. It is possible the nearest Wal-Mart is in one of those
areas. I know the drug stores and groceries sell alcohol but they are
in the city limits and Wal-Mart isn't. It is also possible that
townships can't authorize the sale and cities can. Don't know and since
I have maybe one drink a year I haven't been overly curious until now.

--
Brenda
Old October 5th 04, 07:57 PM
Pat EAXStitch

"Ruby Scott" wrote in message

"clancy" wrote in message
Aw baloney!! You'll be forced to join the crowd probably very soon -

what
with all the complaints from cruise ship travellers stopping at your

ports.
Money talks! Give me a break on this family get-together stuff on

Sundays -
the families are at our malls and grocery stores on Sundays ... now
Lucretia - I never took you for one who had their head buried in the

sand.
Hmmmmm Love ya anyway you old GOW.

Sharon (N.B.)

So you wouldn't object to everything being open on Sunday then?? Banks,

post
offices, mail delivery, offices. I remember going on strike in 1975 so we
could get one weekend in four off instead of one in six. Seems to me the
people most in of Sunday shopping are the ones who won't have to do the
work. they keep interviewing all these people who talk about how hard they
work Monday to Friday and so need Sunday to shop. Bet they have time to
watch "Survivor" though.
Ah! let those retail workers eat cake.
Ruby

Don`t forget that the Sunday workers have to shop during the week - so it
all evens out in the end - so what`s the problem?

Pat P

Old October 5th 04, 08:02 PM
Pat EAXStitch

Families can always arrange days together - and it`s really only a matter of
time before the LAST thing that kids want is to spend every available free
days with parents even when they do arrange things to coincide.

I`d have been horrified if my parents had wanted to join in my main craze
when I was a kid (Riding) and so would they at the very thought!!!

Pat P

"Lucretia Borgia" wrote in message
Sheena probably bluntly says
Aw baloney!! You'll be forced to join the crowd probably very soon -

what
with all the complaints from cruise ship travellers stopping at your

ports.
Money talks! Give me a break on this family get-together stuff on

Sundays -
the families are at our malls and grocery stores on Sundays ... now
Lucretia - I never took you for one who had their head buried in the

sand.
Hmmmmm Love ya anyway you old GOW.

Sharon (N.B.)

That's just what the retailers want you to think! Out of some 700
odd cruise ship visits to Halifax, 2 - yes 2 - have been on Sunday.
For the avid tourist, the touristy stores are open, they have crafts,
very fine ones right at Pier 21 and inevitably at Peggy's Cove.

Money may talk, but sometimes it would be better shutting up. Of
course the families in NB are at the Malls on Sunday, just because it
is available.

I don't have my head buried in the sand, I have arrived at my
conclusion for valid reasons. I do not want to be ruled by what
merchants want, I have more sense, if not compassion for the clerks. I
would like to keep some brakes on to give families a day together,
this may be very important as to what type of adults we grow for the
future.

I love you too, but I won't agree with you!!! Just because your
province has already succumbed to trade, doesn't mean ours has to.

Sheena

Old October 5th 04, 09:58 PM
Pat EAXStitch

Boy, you seem to know an awful lot about your neighbours, Karen! LOLOLOL!!!
;-)

Pat P

"Karen C - California" wrote in message
In article , "Ruby

Scott"

Old October 5th 04, 10:02 PM
Pat EAXStitch

"Lucretia Borgia" wrote in message
Sheena probably bluntly says
Look at it the other way - if there`s no Sunday opening then hospitals
should be closed - there should be no accident or emergency services

etc.,
etc., etc., no shift workers of any kind. I have several shift works in

the
family, and they love it, having different times off when other people
don`t. It does spread the load in the shops, on the roads, etc.
Pat P

Nurses, doctors knew when entering the profession what their hours
would be, that's a straw man.

You're forgetting in NS we do not need to spread the load, there are
only two times shops are unbearable, Christmas Eve, up until 6 when
everything closes, restaurants - the lot - and first day of January
sales.

Otherwise, we have more space than we know what to do with thankfully.

Strangely enough the subject isn`t just about N.S!!! In fact I think we know
it applies more generally to the more polpulated areas! ;-)

Pat P

Old October 5th 04, 10:13 PM
Pat EAXStitch

"Lucretia Borgia" wrote in message
Sheena probably bluntly says
Families can always arrange days together - and it`s really only a matter

of
time before the LAST thing that kids want is to spend every available

free
days with parents even when they do arrange things to coincide.

I`d have been horrified if my parents had wanted to join in my main craze
when I was a kid (Riding) and so would they at the very thought!!!

Pat P

Some kids do enjoy parents being home to drive them to the beach etc.
Remember here, distances are far greater and for a kid in Halifax
there is no bus that they can hop on to go to the beach. Public
transport is purely in town stuff.

When my kids were young we always had something planned for Sunday. We
had family outings that they enjoyed and I know plenty of families who
still do that, go out as a unit and do something together.

It is flip to say they can always arrange days together - if the
parents have Tuesday off when the kids are in school, they can't pull
them from school for a trip to go to Frog Pond to skate for example.
Neither could the kid, at home on Sunday while the parents work, hop
on a bus to Frog Pond to skate on their own.

Of course they can, when they`re old enough to be sensible. We could all
arrange occasional family outings that met the approval of EVERYONE - but
there`s something wrong with kids above a certain age if they want to be
with the parents all the time. I can`t ever remember any of my kids wanting
to do the same thing at any one time - what one wanted to do the other two
wouldn`t be seen dead doing. One would be off sailing or camping, one hated
either of those and would be off watching nature, the other would rather
stay in bed with a good book! Whichever you choose to do out of those (and
they are only a few examples of their interests) you`re going to get up the
noses of the other two! Either that or you`re forcing them to do what you`d
rather do yourself "Because it`s GOOD for them!"

Pat P

Old October 5th 04, 10:36 PM
Karen C - California

In article , Lucretia Borgia
writes:

upcoming is a building barbie
to which all are welcome.

When we lived in the extremely large complex (I think 800 apartments), they
*once* in the five years had a Tenant BBQ. And found that most people picked
up the free food and either took it home to eat, or gobbled it quickly and left
before they had to talk to anyone. Therefore, they didn't bother organizing
another. And of all the complexes I've lived in, that's the only one that ever
had any sort of party for the tenants.

Then again, you're not living in a city of over a million people, so there may
still be more of a small-town feel rather than the big city paranoia of
strangers.