Very OT. For the wine-drinkers!

Old October 5th 04, 05:34 AM
Ruby Scott

"Lucretia Borgia" wrote in message

It isn't totally absurd. It has left us with a way of life that is
far nicer. I am not against SS on a religious basis but I do feel
that for the most humble clerks in retail, I do not want it.

Being realistic, they are unable to say they don't want to work
Sunday, but that is the last day left when a young family can
sometimes all be together. Giving that clerk Tuesday off is not the
same thing if the kids are in school and the partner working.

You can have the money in NB if you wish, I hope we shall retain that
family potential. In actual fact, there is only so much money that
is going to be spent, SS only spreads it over seven days instead of
six. I don't want to be ruled by the almighty buck and retail
merchants.

It really does not affect me, I can shop when I wish, which isn't
often. However, I do fear for the lowliest workers who have little to
protect them. I shall not vote for SS on the plebiscite.

A good cartoon in the local news paper on the weekend I think it was. Shows
a retail worker at her cash register. and something to the effect that she
was looking forward to Sunday shopping but got called into work. Thought it
summed it up . LOL!
I figure if we have to have Sunday shopping then why not government offices,
post offices etc. Now that would be convenient also and just in case a
tourist wanted to post a parcel we definitely need the post offices open.
And the doctors offices, and the banks, especially the banks. All or
nothing I say. I remember the good old days when even gas stations were
closed. Yea gads one had to plan ahead organize ones life. Sorry it is the
me generation, I want it when I want it and I want it now.
And school, there should be school on Sunday it could be field trip day.
I don't care what is open on Sunday. I prefer a nice walk on the beach ,
boardwalk or park.
ruby

Old October 5th 04, 05:38 AM
Meredith

some of the banks round here (Boston, MA) have started keeping a few
branches open on Sundays. I think it's mainly the ones located in
grocery stores, but I'm not really sure.

Meredith

Old October 5th 04, 05:48 AM
Ruby Scott

"clancy" wrote in message
Aw baloney!! You'll be forced to join the crowd probably very soon - what
with all the complaints from cruise ship travellers stopping at your

ports.
Money talks! Give me a break on this family get-together stuff on

Sundays -
the families are at our malls and grocery stores on Sundays ... now
Lucretia - I never took you for one who had their head buried in the sand.
Hmmmmm Love ya anyway you old GOW.

Sharon (N.B.)

So you wouldn't object to everything being open on Sunday then?? Banks, post
offices, mail delivery, offices. I remember going on strike in 1975 so we
could get one weekend in four off instead of one in six. Seems to me the
people most in of Sunday shopping are the ones who won't have to do the
work. they keep interviewing all these people who talk about how hard they
work Monday to Friday and so need Sunday to shop. Bet they have time to
watch "Survivor" though.
Ah! let those retail workers eat cake.
Ruby

Old October 5th 04, 12:17 PM
Karen C - California

In article , "clancy"
writes:

Give me a break on this family get-together stuff on Sundays -
the families are at our malls and grocery stores on Sundays ...

Speaking from my own experience, most young lawyers are in the office on
Sundays, the only time they can work without a bunch of interruptions from
their superiors. Some of the single ones did work from home on Sundays, but
the young fathers complained that the children interrupted them more than their
bosses did. And more than once I was summoned in to assist on a Sunday.

And what about those of us who have no family nearby? I'm single, my nearest
and dearest live 3000 miles away. If not for shopping on Sundays, I would
spend the day in isolation. (Which is why I was always very happy to go to
work on Sunday, since I had nothing better to do, and it was "easy money" since
we were more relaxed than during the week.)

Or those who celebrate their Sabbath on a day other than Sunday and therefore
can't shop on Saturday?

One size does NOT fit all.

--
Finished 9/24/04 - Quilt Show
WIP: Fireman's Prayer (#2), Amid Amish Life, Angel of Autumn, Calif Sampler,

Paralegal - Writer - Editor - Researcher
http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html
Old October 5th 04, 01:46 PM
Ruby Scott

"Karen C - California" wrote in message
In article , "clancy"
writes:

[...]

Indeed one size does not fit all. I am in favour of a rest day and have
often thought it should be Wednesday. That way no ones Sabbath is infringed
upon. I am just amazed at how consumer driven our cultures are becoming.
Not only have we become convinced through advertising that we need to
consume endlessly but that now we must do it constantly. I hear a lot of
whining about people having little time through the week etc. amazing how
many of those same people have hours each evening to spend in front of a
television. What did the we all do before TV besides get a good nights
sleep, and do our chores etc. Opening everything is the only democratic
way to go. but then all those people who have Saturday and Sunday off would
then have to shop on say Wednesday. LOL!
I think it is sad that shopping at a mall has become to be thought of as
social life. About as social as watching television. Very little social
interaction going on. As to it being a family outing well there again just a
way not to have to interact.
I have never lived near family and have spent a lot of time on my own with
young children and now just me most of the time. I have found it is a
choice, mine, to make an effort to do things. I can get out into my
neighbour hood and interact or keep to myself. I can go to a movie and do on
my own or play or walk on the boardwalks or sit at home on my own. It often
takes a great deal of effort ( I have several chronic illnesses) to make a
social life and yes it is easier to just fill the day strolling the mall but
a very lonesome way to spend ones time.
Ruby
My two cents worth.

Old October 5th 04, 02:19 PM
clancy

Nope I wouldn't object to that at all .. it's not like the same people would
work 7 days a week, 24 hours a day - that's what some retailers want you to
believe. I've done various jobs during my lifetime and working on Sunday
never bothered me a bit. Not everyone has to agree with it - they can stay
home with their families if that's their choice. I have a very good friend
who cursed Sunday shopping - but where did I find her one Sunday afternoon -
shopping at Atlantic Fabrics ' cuz she needed something in a hurry' ..... oh
I see, it's okay when that happens. Hmmmmmmmm

Sharon (N.B.)

Old October 5th 04, 02:23 PM
clancy

I don't believe it's necessarily what the merchants want - it's the public
that wants Sunday shopping. All you have to do is look at the malls here on
Sunday. Some merchants would rather stay closed - let them .. but they
won't for long if their competition is open. That's the way it is today -
we can't live in the past. Well I guess we could if we really wanted to -
then we wouldn't be on this machine - we'd be writing long letters by hand
and getting writer's cramp. Shall I expect a nice long letter in the mail
from you soon, wee one?

Sharon (N.B.)

"Lucretia Borgia" wrote in message
Sheena probably bluntly says
Aw baloney!! You'll be forced to join the crowd probably very soon -

what
with all the complaints from cruise ship travellers stopping at your

ports.
Money talks! Give me a break on this family get-together stuff on

Sundays -
the families are at our malls and grocery stores on Sundays ... now
Lucretia - I never took you for one who had their head buried in the

sand.
Hmmmmm Love ya anyway you old GOW.

Sharon (N.B.)

That's just what the retailers want you to think! Out of some 700
odd cruise ship visits to Halifax, 2 - yes 2 - have been on Sunday.
For the avid tourist, the touristy stores are open, they have crafts,
very fine ones right at Pier 21 and inevitably at Peggy's Cove.

Money may talk, but sometimes it would be better shutting up. Of
course the families in NB are at the Malls on Sunday, just because it
is available.

I don't have my head buried in the sand, I have arrived at my
conclusion for valid reasons. I do not want to be ruled by what
merchants want, I have more sense, if not compassion for the clerks. I
would like to keep some brakes on to give families a day together,
this may be very important as to what type of adults we grow for the
future.

I love you too, but I won't agree with you!!! Just because your
province has already succumbed to trade, doesn't mean ours has to.

Sheena

Old October 5th 04, 04:45 PM
Dawne Peterson

"Karen C - California" wrote
Speaking from my own experience, most young lawyers are in the office on
Sundays, the only time they can work without a bunch of interruptions

from
their superiors. Some of the single ones did work from home on Sundays,

but
the young fathers complained that the children interrupted them more than

their
bosses did.

Oh dear oh dear. How terribly awful it is to have to have children in
order to be fathers. And when they die, I suppose their obits will proudly
boast that they were :"family men."
Dawne

Old October 5th 04, 04:48 PM
Ellice

ROFLMAO - and of course, then you can spew into the box it came in !

Glad I just finally read this,
ellice

Gillian Murray wrote:

Some Wal-Mart customers soon will be able to sample a new discount item:
Wal-Mart's own brand of wine. The world's largest retail chain is teaming up
with E&J Gallo Winery of Modesto,California, to produce the spirits at an
affordable price, in the $2-5 range.
While wine connoisseurs may not be inclined to throw a bottle of Wal-Mart
brand wine into their shopping carts, there is a market for cheap wine, said
Kathy Micken, professor of marketing at Roger Williams University in
Bristol, R.I. She said: "The right name is important."

So, here we go: The top 12 suggested names for Walmart Wine:

12. Chateau Traileur Parc
11. White Trashfindel
10. Big Red Gulp
9. Grape Expectations
8. Domaine Wal-Mart "Merde du Pays"
7. NASCARbernet
6. Chef Boyardeaux
5. Peanut Noir
4. Chateau des Moines
3. I Can't Believe It's Not Vinegar!
2. World Championship Riesling

And the number 1 name for Wal-Mart Wine ...

1. Nasti Spumante

Old October 5th 04, 04:50 PM
Ellice

Brenda wrote:

I don't know that the ones in the US do either. If they do, I've never
seen it. I'm guessing the whole thing is just a funny.

F.James Cripwell wrote:
Luckily, WalMart's in Canada cannot sell wine.

--
Brenda

I bet it depends on what state you're in. I think they may be able to in
Virginia. Heck, the drugstores do.

Ellice