Very OT. For the wine-drinkers!

Old October 4th 04, 05:14 PM
Gillian Murray

Default Very OT. For the wine-drinkers!

Some Wal-Mart customers soon will be able to sample a new discount item:
Wal-Mart's own brand of wine. The world's largest retail chain is teaming up
with E&J Gallo Winery of Modesto,California, to produce the spirits at an
affordable price, in the $2-5 range.
While wine connoisseurs may not be inclined to throw a bottle of Wal-Mart
brand wine into their shopping carts, there is a market for cheap wine, said
Kathy Micken, professor of marketing at Roger Williams University in
Bristol, R.I. She said: "The right name is important."

So, here we go: The top 12 suggested names for Walmart Wine:

12. Chateau Traileur Parc
11. White Trashfindel
10. Big Red Gulp
9. Grape Expectations
8. Domaine Wal-Mart "Merde du Pays"
7. NASCARbernet
6. Chef Boyardeaux
5. Peanut Noir
4. Chateau des Moines
3. I Can't Believe It's Not Vinegar!
2. World Championship Riesling

And the number 1 name for Wal-Mart Wine ...

1. Nasti Spumante

Old October 4th 04, 05:20 PM
Parrotfish

"Gillian Murray" wrote in message
newsFe8d.3781$pw4.1924@trnddc01...
Some Wal-Mart customers soon will be able to sample a new discount item:
Wal-Mart's own brand of wine. The world's largest retail chain is teaming

up
with E&J Gallo Winery of Modesto,California, to produce the spirits at an
affordable price, in the $2-5 range.

And the number 1 name for Wal-Mart Wine ...

1. Nasti Spumante

Or........ Muck...... a cross between a Muscadet and a Hock... ;o)
--
Regards...........P-f

Old October 4th 04, 06:29 PM
F.James Cripwell

"Gillian Murray" ) writes:
Some Wal-Mart customers soon will be able to sample a new discount item:
Wal-Mart's own brand of wine. The world's largest retail chain is teaming up

(snip)

Luckily, WalMart's in Canada cannot sell wine.
--
Jim Cripwell.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of one's life, any
Old October 4th 04, 08:38 PM
Brenda

I don't know that the ones in the US do either. If they do, I've never
seen it. I'm guessing the whole thing is just a funny.

Old October 4th 04, 09:03 PM
Gillian Murray

Our Walmarts here in Florida carry wine and beer, and the Sam's Club has an
attached Liquor Store. I thought it was funny, so posted it for a laugh.

Gillian

Old October 4th 04, 09:22 PM
clancy

Yet!!! ..... and why not? We have to move forward to keep up with the
competition no matter what we're discussing. Just look at Nova Scotia with
their totally absurd 'no shopping on Sunday' law - they're losing all kinds
of tourist money ... but that's okay - they all cross the border to New
Brunswick and drop their money here.

Sharon (N.B.)

Old October 5th 04, 12:06 AM
Parrotfish

"Lucretia Borgia" wrote
Sheena probably bluntly says
Yet!!! ..... and why not? We have to move forward to keep up with the
competition no matter what we're discussing. Just look at Nova Scotia

with
their totally absurd 'no shopping on Sunday' law - they're losing all

kinds
of tourist money ...

It isn't totally absurd. It has left us with a way of life that is
far nicer. I am not against SS on a religious basis but I do feel
that for the most humble clerks in retail, I do not want it.

Thankyou so much ! I work in a shop (UK), and we are expected to comply
with the Shopping Centre hours of opening.
An example....... Christmas Day & Boxing Day- (Sat & Sun) closed.
Monday & Tuesday (Official Bank Holiday) 9-5.30.
Jan 1st. (Official Bank Holiday) 9-5.30.
But of course the people who do *important* Monday to Friday jobs will want
to go shopping after
their seasonal parties, won't they ?
--
Regards...........P-f

Old October 5th 04, 02:27 AM
clancy

Aw baloney!! You'll be forced to join the crowd probably very soon - what
with all the complaints from cruise ship travellers stopping at your ports.
Money talks! Give me a break on this family get-together stuff on Sundays -
the families are at our malls and grocery stores on Sundays ... now
Lucretia - I never took you for one who had their head buried in the sand.
Hmmmmm Love ya anyway you old GOW.

Sharon (N.B.)
"Lucretia Borgia" wrote in message
Sheena probably bluntly says
Yet!!! ..... and why not? We have to move forward to keep up with the
competition no matter what we're discussing. Just look at Nova Scotia

with
their totally absurd 'no shopping on Sunday' law - they're losing all

kinds
of tourist money ... but that's okay - they all cross the border to New
Brunswick and drop their money here.

Sharon (N.B.)

It isn't totally absurd. It has left us with a way of life that is
far nicer. I am not against SS on a religious basis but I do feel
that for the most humble clerks in retail, I do not want it.

Being realistic, they are unable to say they don't want to work
Sunday, but that is the last day left when a young family can
sometimes all be together. Giving that clerk Tuesday off is not the
same thing if the kids are in school and the partner working.

You can have the money in NB if you wish, I hope we shall retain that
family potential. In actual fact, there is only so much money that
is going to be spent, SS only spreads it over seven days instead of
six. I don't want to be ruled by the almighty buck and retail
merchants.

It really does not affect me, I can shop when I wish, which isn't
often. However, I do fear for the lowliest workers who have little to
protect them. I shall not vote for SS on the plebiscite.

Old October 5th 04, 03:12 AM
Karen C - California

F.James Cripwell wrote:
Luckily, WalMart's in Canada cannot sell wine.

I bought a bottle of Beringer White Zin at my local Wally's, so I know they
sell wine in California. By state law, we can sell liquor in groceries, drug
stores, etc. in California; your local law may hold that it can only be sold in
a State Store (or whatever the local verbiage is)
--
Finished 9/24/04 - Quilt Show
WIP: Fireman's Prayer (#2), Amid Amish Life, Angel of Autumn, Calif Sampler,

Paralegal - Writer - Editor - Researcher
http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html