pictures

Old October 19th 03, 01:06 AM
Norma

Default pictures

Hi Gang. I sent a picture to Martin, from our local newspaper, of a spinning
wheel that was a design that I had never seen before. Martin was kind enough
to caution me that the picture might just be copyrighted. I will try to
contact the person who took the picture for permission to post it for the
ones here that might like to see it. It was shaped something like a church
window, with the wheel in the middle. Martin also suggested that I post our
conversation on the ng, as this might come up again in the future, and I for
one, wasn't aware of the possible ramifications. I guess a friendly reminder
might be in order for our charter members and also be a heads up for the
newer ones....

Hi Norma. When I first started the knitting fans pictures site, I intended
that both on and off topic photos would be eligible for posting, but there
will always be photos that can't be published for a variety of reasons. Not
being a big fan of censorship, I said that if there were any contentions
about a photo's suitability for publication, I would not censor it myself,
but let the group decide whether it should appear.

What I was meaning with my last e-mail was that you should post a
description of the contentious photo and let the group decide as to whether
publication of it on my site would be infringing anybody's anything's. Since
then though, I've done a search on Google and there is a photographer called
Kristan Jones so I would be very reluctant to post the photo without
permission from the newspaper or the image's owner.

But maybe Kristan, or whoever is the copyright owner, would be more than
happy to have his picture appear. I suggest you either contact the newspaper
or try to contact the Kristan Jones that appears when you search his name in
using Google.

It would be useful if you posted a record of this discussion on the group by
the way. Something like this is bound to happen again in the future.

If the worst comes to the worst, I can trace the wheel and post an image of
that but it would obviously be better to use the original.

Kind regards, Martin

--
Star love,
Norma

Old October 19th 03, 03:57 AM
CMM PDX2

Norma wrote:

Hi Gang. I sent a picture to Martin, from our local newspaper,
of a spinning wheel that was a design that I had never seen
before. Martin was kind enough to caution me that the picture
might just be copyrighted

snip

Good catch there, Martin! And thanks for posting Martin's reply to you, Norma.
Martin's definitely right - anything printed in a newspaper is definitely
copyright to *someone* - either the original artist/photographer, or the paper.
It is one of the things people often don't even think about, unless they're
used to dealing with publications.

Actually, it's probably lucky this came up, so we can all be aware of it for
future, as you said. It's different than giving folks a link to an online
article or picture.

And quite often, if you just ask politely, many newspapers or photographers -
or owner of said item being photographed - are pretty nice about allowing you
to re-post something on a non-commercial site such as Martin's. If not, then
it's possible they'll get it up somewhere themselves, if either has a website,
and send you a link. After all, it's free PR. gg But they do like to be
asked; saves a whooole can of complicated legal worms being opened!

With that, I'll keep my fingers crossed they do give permission or a link. It
sounds really interesting, Norma!

Oh, and if you haven't gotten hold of anyone yet, you might try starting with
the reporter who filed the story. They can probably get in touch with the
photographer more easily than you can, especially if s/he is on staff. Or
better yet, talk to the paper's main receptionist/secretary, and you can find
out if you should contact the photographer, the reporter, or the paper's legal
department. Sometimes the photographer doesn't have any control, sometimes they
do. It gets complicated, as I said.

Monica
CMMPDX2 at aol
remove 'eat.spam' to email me
---------
"No, that isn't me you saw - I'm not here, I'm incognito!" (Me, Myself & I)
Support our Troops!!
http://www.wtv-zone.com/kjsb/bataan.html
Old October 20th 03, 01:58 AM
Norma

Thanks Monica. I will take your advice and try tomorrow. I'll let everyone
know if it works out.

--
Star love,
Norma