needlepoint from a graft

Old September 28th 04, 01:36 AM
D.M.Evans

Default needlepoint from a graft

Before I head to the store, I need to ask a question; I want to do a pattern
that was created for cross stitch in needlepoint. How do I buy the canvas?
Is it like cross stitch with thread counts?

Darlene

Old September 28th 04, 02:32 AM
Boohoo1971

It is possible to work needlepoint from a cx pattern, but if you use the usual
tent (or basketweave) stitch, the finished piece might look a bit odd. A cx
stitch fills up the entire square and a np tent stitch is just one thread from
one corner to the diagional corner. If you really want to work a np from a cx
chart, get 14 or 16 count mono canvas and yarn that the store owner thinks will
work, possibly a crewel weight wool yarn. You would work in cx stitch just
like a regular cx piece. If you wanted to work it in floss, on 16 count you
should use six threads and again would be using the cx stitch. I have tried
that and could never get all six threads to stay flat. If you have not worked
np, you might need stretcher bars to take the canvas to. I always use them,
otherwise my square canvas would end up in a diamond shape and blocking np is
very difficult. Boo
Old September 28th 04, 02:46 AM
Karen C - California

In article , "D.M.Evans"
writes:

I want to do a pattern
that was created for cross stitch in needlepoint. How do I buy the canvas?
Is it like cross stitch with thread counts?

Yep!
--
Finished 9/24/04 - Quilt Show
WIP: Fireman's Prayer (#2), Amid Amish Life, Angel of Autumn, Calif Sampler,

Paralegal - Writer - Editor - Researcher
http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html
Old September 28th 04, 11:33 AM
CANDY CORRIGAN

A grid is a grid, whether it be canvas or Aida or Linen. However the size
of the holes will require a change in the weight of the thread.

Yes, needlepoint canvas does come in thread counts like linen. The standard
counts for canvas (12,14,18) are more similar to Aida (14, 16. 18) then
linen (28, 32, 36). And like Aida where you work over one square, with
canvas you usually work half crosses over one thread as opposed to linen
where you usually work over two threads.

You should try to avoid charts with partial stitches as using canvas in this
manner will not allow you the ability to do these. The manner of stitching
is also different . There are two different routes to take either
continental or basketweave. They look the same on the front, but are
different on the back. Basketweave uses considerably more thread but causes
less distortion to the canvas. Canvas does distort much more then linen
when worked in hand, so I would highly recommend that you use stretcher bars
to avoid or at least cut down on the amount of blocking needed on the
finished product.

You will also need to use a heavier thread or more then 6 strands of floss
at once. Fourteen count canvas requires Perle #3, 18 count requires Perle
#5. I am not sure how many strands of floss would be needed. Also remember
that the number of colors available with Perle #5 are fewer then available
for floss and the Perle #3 is even fewer then the Perle #5. If you decide
to use floss, due to the high number of strands IMHO you must lay the
threads.

Hope this helps.

Candy

.. .

Old September 28th 04, 01:57 PM
F.James Cripwell

Boohoo1971 ) writes:
(snip)
If you wanted to work it in floss, on 16 count you
should use six threads and again would be using the cx stitch. I have tried
that and could never get all six threads to stay flat.

(snip)
Boo

We all know that before you use floss, it is desirable to "strip" the
threads. That is, pull the thread out lengthwise before you thread the
needle. Some people may not realise that this is desirable when you are
using all six strands; they just cut the required length, thread the
needle and start stitching. It is a good idea to strip all six strands, and
recombine them before threading the needle. It may seem like extra work,
but it may make the threads lie better. HTH.
--
Jim Cripwell.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of one's life, any

#5. I am not sure how many strands of floss would be needed. Also remember
that the number of colors available with Perle #5 are fewer then available
for floss and the Perle #3 is even fewer then the Perle #5. If you decide
to use floss, due to the high number of strands IMHO you must lay the
threads.

Hope this helps.

Candy

---------------

For basic "Tent" stitches, I use 6-ply of cotton floss on 18 count
canvas, and adjust appropriately if I'm using silk floss instead of
cotton.

BOTH Continental and Basketweave stitches use virtually the same
amount of thread. It's the *Half-cross stitch* that uses less
thread/yarn. But, Half-cross doesn't cover the canvas worth a darn,
and it tends to "slip" under the weave if you're using Mono canvas. I
use Basketweave for as many Tent stitches as possible.

TIP: When doing Basketweave, always start or bury your threads on a
straight line such as | or _ . Never run under the stitches on the
angle like \. If you do, you will end up with a ridge that shows from
the front after the piece is blocked for finishing.

My first needlepoint projects were all from charts, or made by filling
simple designs with textured stitches. If you don't have a good
stitch guide, I recommend my favorite:
The Needlepoint Book : A Complete Update of the Classic Guide
by Jo Ippolito Christensen
It's available on Amazon.com, and is quite affordable. My first copy
finally fell apart, so I had to pony-up for a new one.

Have fun with needlepoint. That was my first stitching hobby, and I
still indulge occasionally.

Kathy in WA

#5. I am not sure how many strands of floss would be needed. Also remember
[...]

All good advice. If you're just starting, your LNS may have the book on NP put out by TNNA (the trade
organization). It's a very good, inexpensive book which covers all the basics - how to Basketweave,
Continental, satin stitchs, waste knots, etc - with nice big diagrams. It's only about $5. The book by Jo
Ippolito Christensen is a great book - and if you're going to be hooked on NP, it's a must have IMHO. Great
stitches, lots of information.

Good luck.

Ellice