Thermore opinion?

Old June 16th 08, 06:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lobo

Default Thermore opinion?

I read a lot of positive things about Thermore in the past, bought a batt
and let it sit in the closet a long time. I'm working on a wall hanging
that's about 2' x 3' and decided to pull out the Thermore and see if I
wanted to use it (I guess that's why I bought it ... because people said it
was good for wall hangings).

Anyway ... it's awfully thin and also feels icky-sticky. I plan to machine
quilt the wall hanging and wonder if my needles will get all gooey. I also
wonder if I decide to use it if I should double it over since it's so thin.
I want the thing to look somewhat quilted, not just stitched flat.

I'd appreciate any opinoins and experience. Thanks!

Lobo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Delete the obvious to reply to me personally.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old June 16th 08, 08:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Thermore is intended to be ultra thin, Lobo - it was designed for making
quilted garments, so that it wouldn't have too much bulk.
It does feel oddly sticky, but there isn't any sticky substance in it,
as far as I know, and I have never had needles go gooey with it (I use
it for miniatures).
..
In message , Lobo
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old June 16th 08, 01:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_3_]

On Jun 16, 12:30 am, "Lobo" wrote:
I read a lot of positive things about Thermore in the past, bought a batt
and let it sit in the closet a long time. I'm working on a wall hanging
that's about 2' x 3' and decided to pull out the Thermore and see if I
wanted to use it (I guess that's why I bought it ... because people said it
was good for wall hangings).

Anyway ... it's awfully thin and also feels icky-sticky. I plan to machine
quilt the wall hanging and wonder if my needles will get all gooey. I also
wonder if I decide to use it if I should double it over since it's so thin.
I want the thing to look somewhat quilted, not just stitched flat.

I'd appreciate any opinoins and experience. Thanks!

I used Thermore for a jacket. It worked very well -- didn't gum up the
needle or anything. It's the bargello jacket he http://
webpages.charter.net/jaccola/Quilts2006.html I used a "stitch and
flip" technique, sewing the strips to the batting, so it was really a
"quilt as you go" kind of thing. Then I added a lining after the outer
shell of the jacket was complete. The batting worked wonderfully for
that. Of course, a big of "stickiness" is good when you're doing
"stitch and flip".

Julia in MN

Old June 16th 08, 08:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Howdy!

I've used Hobbs Thermore batting for years;
have also sent out several samples of it (Hi, V) to share
the "ain't this great?!" feel of it.
(Hand)Quilts easily, drapes beautifully. I put it in the
flannel-cotton quilts I made for 2 cancer patients, last year;
they say it's "so cuddly!", light-weight but cozy-warm.
Icky-sticky? Never encountered that.

It's Hobbs Thermore, from ... Texas, you know. g
http://www.hobbsbondedfibers.com/quilters.html

....lovely jacket, Julia.

Good luck!

R/Sandy

On 6/16/08 12:30 AM, in article
, "Lobo"

Old June 16th 08, 10:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Val

~waving enthusiastically @ Sandy~

Didn't notice any sticky or icky nuthin' on/in/with mine either. I love this
stuff! Not that I make all those big ol' wonderful quilts the rest of you do
*sigh* but it's gives the perfect 'smoosh & skwoosh' to crazy quilting for
bags and cell phone holders and such. Then.....*key up "JAWS" theme*.... I
needed just a bit more, plans were asunder for making four quilted pillows
for a Christmas gift, and few little organizer bags.....and... and, and the
SPECIAL price was SO good....and it was FREE shipping day....I ordered a
King sized bat of the wonderful stuff. Oh well, what I don't use I'll just
bury my face in and make happy noises.

Now, if I could figure out a credible way to lay the blame in Sandy's lap
for the other $230.00 spent on that order I'd be set.

Val

Old June 17th 08, 05:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lobo

Yes ... when I touch it, it feels like the back side of Contact paper that's
lost some, but not all, of its stickiness....not sticky enough for your hand
to stick to it, but sticky!

I've had it a long time and left it in the plastic bag it came in. I can't
imagine burying my face in it! Ugh!

Lobo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Val" wrote in message
Didn't notice any sticky or icky nuthin' on/in/with mine either. I love
this

snip

Old June 17th 08, 07:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

I just went and touched mine, instead of relying on memory!
Mine certainly isn't as sticky as you describe, but it is an unusual
feel. I do really like it, and wonder if, perhaps, yours has 'gone off'
or something? Mine felt different if I ran my hand over it, from when it
just placed my hand on and took it straight up again. The straight up
and down felt no 'stickiness' at all, so I'm wondering if the sticky you
feel is just 'side to side' friction?
..
In message , Lobo
writes

Old June 17th 08, 07:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Howdy!

See? What'd I say? g

Thermore is good for placemats, too, and all those "need a bit more body
but not much" projects.

"sticky" may be from the poly finish, or from the bag; I've stored it
in the upstairs closet for years w/out that "contact paper" feel resulting;
I dunno', you could write to Hobbs & ask.

Of course, I use Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 for most quilts; handquilts
beautifully. ;-)

R/Sandy - happy to take *credit* for Val's extra $$$ order

Old June 18th 08, 06:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lobo

OK ... I went and felt the Thermore again, and I guess it's not all that
icky-sticky. Maybe I just needed to let it air out of the plastic bag for a
while. I am going to use 2 layers though to make the quilt a little
squooshier. I started laying it out tonight, and it is nice how it hangs
together with the top and backing. Thanks for all the input!
Lobo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old July 2nd 08, 02:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Rita L. in MA

Default Revisiting: Thermore opinion?

Val,

Where did you order your Thermore from? I had one queen sized bat in my
stash. After following this thread I used it for a couple of small
quilts and I LOVED it! I "need" more but none of the LQSs that I
frequent is currently carrying it.

I did get several crib sized "Warm and Safe" batts on clearance at
TSWLTH this week. That made me happy :-)

Thanks!

Rita L.

Your opinion? Gwyneð Bennet Needlework 5 November 29th 07 02:11 PM
your opinion please MJR Jewelry 4 March 11th 05 02:20 AM
Need your opinion... hfw Quilting 21 October 18th 04 08:47 PM
Need your opinion! hfw Quilting 56 July 15th 04 06:03 AM
Your Opinion Please Diana Curtis Quilting 42 November 24th 03 03:13 PM