Suspend objects

Old December 18th 06, 12:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
gervay

Default Suspend objects

All the novelty stores sell all kinds of chochkeys made of glass with
objects, 3d reliefs, etc. inside of them. How do they do it?

Old December 18th 06, 10:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Mike Firth

They are not actually glass, they are clear acrylic resin. If you handle
them you will find them warm to the touch while glass is cooler to the
touch. Casting resin is available at most hardware and hobby shops. You
need the resin, the setting catalyst, separator to keep the stuff from
sticking to the mold and molds of some form. To put stuff "inside", it is
normal to pour a layer, let it firm up a bit, place the objects and then
pour another layer. It is a bit tricky because the layers have to be
different batches as the extra stuff from pouring the first layer will set
in the pot if you have extra. Also pouring over some objects without
getting air bubbles takes practice.

--
Mike Firth
Furnace Glassblowing Website
oups.com...

Old December 26th 06, 05:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Allan Adler

"Mike Firth" writes:

They are not actually glass, they are clear acrylic resin. If you handle
them you will find them warm to the touch while glass is cooler to the
touch. Casting resin is available at most hardware and hobby shops. You
need the resin, the setting catalyst, separator to keep the stuff from
sticking to the mold and molds of some form.

I don't really know but I'm under the impression that working with these
acrylic resins requires very good ventilation and other precautions for
health reasons.
--
Ignorantly,
Allan Adler
Old December 27th 06, 08:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Peer &Tina Nielsen

The Swedish use laser to make internal 3d reliefs.
oups.com...

Old December 30th 06, 11:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Mike Firth

If the Russian's did not invent the process, they certainly made big use of
it first. But that is just images, not objects, which observed close up
show the little dots of "etching" where the two laser beams crossed.

--
Mike Firth
Furnace Glassblowing Website
http://users.ticnet.com/mikefirth/
. ..

Old December 30th 06, 11:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Mike Firth

Agree, but the warnings are all over the resin and not every posting has to
have legal notices attached - otherwise "Glass is heavy and sharp and may
....."

--
"Allan Adler" wrote in message
"Mike Firth" writes:

They are not actually glass, they are clear acrylic resin. If you handle
them you will find them warm to the touch while glass is cooler to the
touch. Casting resin is available at most hardware and hobby shops. You
need the resin, the setting catalyst, separator to keep the stuff from
sticking to the mold and molds of some form.

I don't really know but I'm under the impression that working with these
acrylic resins requires very good ventilation and other precautions for
health reasons.
--
Ignorantly,
Allan Adler
* Disclaimer: I am a guest and *not* a member of the MIT CSAIL. My actions
and
* comments do not reflect in any way on MIT. Also, I am nowhere near
Boston.

Old December 31st 06, 02:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
nJb

Mike Firth wrote:

If the Russian's did not invent the process, they certainly made big use of
it first. But that is just images, not objects, which observed close up
show the little dots of "etching" where the two laser beams crossed.

I had the chance to observe how it is done at a place in Utah. It's one
laser beam moving in an x-y axis and the z axis is done by the depth of
focus of the cone shaped beam. Pretty interesting operation.

Jack